KW

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 17, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
1) Cuz our bullpen sucks.

2) Josh Fields if we lock up Crede to a long-term deal.

I do not want to trade Josh Fields for a pitcher for the bullpen.

EDIT: Unless you're getting a young stud like Jonathan Broxton.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ May 17, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Charlotte is playing really really well right now.

Due to Sweeney (our future OF), Fields (our future OF hopefully), Stewart (replaces Widge next year), Heager (HA) and a bevy of others with little to no trade value either because they're unproven minor leaguers or they're vets.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 18, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Let's see how Nelson does before we make a deal.

Our pen can still be solid with Mac, Nelson, Politte, Cotts and Jenks.

See when people say our bullpen sucks, how do they know trading a really good young prospect for a bullpen arm will be the right move, when you've got Thornton who hasn't been used much, and Lopez, Nelson and Tracey down in AAA who could all get a shot by the year's out (plus Hermy could always come back at some point).

I do not want to trade Josh Fields for a pitcher for the bullpen.

EDIT: Unless you're getting a young stud like Jonathan Broxton.

If Crede is locked up long-term, Fields is worthless to us unless he is used in a different trade. He will never see the field for the Sox with both Konerko and Crede locked up.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 18, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
That would probably be a good idea. I wonder if the Sox have thought about it.

They should, if the Sox are going to hang onto Crede.

That's why I want to keep Fields. The way he's hitting, even if his plate discipline still needs work, having a young slugger like him come up and produce, offers a lot to you in terms of payroll flexibility etc.

And people have said on here he could probably handle 3rd quite well. He's got a fairly good arm, he'd just have to learn to play the position in terms of reads etc.

And with Pods contract up at the end of the season, it creates an interesting scenario.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
What is Fields' history? Has he always been a third baseman?

It doesn't always work out trying to screw with a guy and move

him around.

If he's the real deal, obviously he or Joe will be traded.

Field has always been a 3B as was Carlos Lee, Mark Tiexeirra and Jim Thome. A player can be successfully moved to a new position, it happens quite often. It's really not "obvious" that one will be traded especially considering how I believe he'll be playing LF for the Sox in '08.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
If he's never played of and nobody is talking about him being moved to of, how

are you so sure he will be in lf in 08??

It's a hunch, if he continues to hit like this and Owens continues to suck, the situation will be absolutley perfect for Fields to head out to LF.

If Carlos Lee can move out there and be somewhat decent, Josh Fields should have no problem.

Yea, LF is a lot less important than 3B defensively, and part and parcel of that is how easy it is to play. Most players that show defensive weaknesses but excellent hitting are moved down the defensive spectrum in the minor leagues.

Like others have said, it happens all the time. If he has the arm for 3B, he has the arm for LF easy. Taking 50 fungos a day from the OF will make him a MLB capable LF in a year provided he projects as an above average OPS guy.

Again, this timetable fits perfectly with Pods expected (and IMO rightful) departure in 2007.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
It's a hunch, if he continues to hit like this and Owens continues to suck, the situation will be absolutley perfect for Fields to head out to LF.

If Fields is in left, and Sweeney in right, who is our leadoff hitter?

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Yea, LF is a lot less important than 3B defensively, and part and parcel of that is how easy it is to play. Most players that show defensive weaknesses but excellent hitting are moved down the defensive spectrum in the minor leagues.

Like others have said, it happens all the time. If he has the arm for 3B, he has the arm for LF easy. Taking 50 fungos a day from the OF will make him a MLB capable LF in a year provided he projects as an above average OPS guy.

Again, this timetable fits perfectly with Pods expected (and IMO rightful) departure in 2007.

Yeah right now I want Pods to be around and when the time comes, it comes. I'll obviously be looking forward to the future but now I along with most others I assume are looking at the present.

If Fields is in left, and Sweeney in right, who is our leadoff hitter?

IMO, Iguchi, provided he doesn't completely collapse this season, would be a more than adequate stop-gap measure for 2007, but it would have to a priority in the 2007 offseason.

It's hard to project so far down the line, but if Iguchi can get on base at a .365 clip in 2007 with some pop, like a .790 OPS, that would be fine.