Brian Anderson

Sox1422

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 17, 2006 -> 06:58 AM)
Not a chance that Ozzie/KW will continue to play him if he's hitting under .200 all season.

Ozzie and KW don't expect him to keep hitting at below .200. He'll either come around or they'll send him to Charlotte to work it out. But his defense would be a huge loss, IMO. He's better than the guy who was playing there last year. Yes, I said it! He's a better defender than Rowand.

It's not MVP numbers (and I don't expect those out of BA....especially as a rookie), but the kid is hitting .269 with a pair of homers over the past 10 games. His defense has probably saved at least a run or two over that period as well.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...layer_id=435042

Would I rather have Rowand in there? Sure I would (I'd take ARow over every other center fielder in the game). However, we had to give up a lot to acquire Thome and I think BA is beginning to do a very admirable job of filling this position.

QUOTE(sin city sox fan @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
It's not MVP numbers (and I don't expect those out of BA....especially as a rookie), but the kid is hitting .269 with a pair of homers over the past 10 games. His defense has probably saved at least a run or two over that period as well.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...layer_id=435042

Would I rather have Rowand in there? Sure I would (I'd take ARow over every other center fielder in the game). However, we had to give up a lot to acquire Thome and I think BA is beginning to do a very admirable job of filling this position.

You are nuts.

Andruw Jones

Carlos Beltran

Vernon Wells

Grady Sizemore

Just to name a few.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Of the top 5 things that bother me about the Sox this year, he doesn't even make the list.

My list in no particular order:

- Boone Logan's suckiness

- Jon Garland's woes

- Ross Gload's uselessness for this team

- Jenk's shaky outings

- The incomplete green seats

how about the entire middle relief's suckiness in general? the only pitcher with a sub-5.00 ERA is Cotts' 2.65. Logan's on par with everyone else in our pen, so why single him out? my only hope for him was that he'd be a serviceable stop-gap, it's not like he was never touted as the next Billy Wagner, or really even the another Neal Cotts, so don't single him out without mentioning Politte, Thornton (who looked good Tuesday), and McCarthy.

Edited by AirScott

Of the top 5 things that bother me about the Sox this year, he doesn't even make the list.

- Jon Garland's woes

- Jenk's shaky outings

That's about my list as well. But he's in the top 10, maybe the top 7.

- Jon Garland's woes

- Jenk's shaky outings

Jenks? Doesn't really bother me.

Buehrle bothers me more right now.

Mack's been hitting better of late with 7 hits in his last 14 at bats, just

one extra base hit, though. If Mack is over his season opening slump

would you be surprised to see his platooning with Anderson if Brian doesn't

start hitting better?

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd be pissed. Mackowiak is a veteran with a proven level of mediocrity at the plate and he's not even average in CF.

BA, even on his worst day at the plate, is an upper-echelon MLB CF defensively. That is valuable, a good CF makes the whole OF better, and saves quite a few runs.

I want BA to start 3/4 or 4/5 games for this club. Mackowiak needs to be used more in the corners--LF and RF--over Ozuna.

People have to remember that with his craptacular start, his average isn't going to raise quickly if he hits .250, which is all most people are asking.

He hit .161 in April and .200 in May. He's gonna need a .300 month to start yanking that average up.

Some splits for Brian, which are sort of interesting

Away: .107

Home: .268

5/10 in "close and late situations"

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
True, heads22, but at some point, if he expects to be a big league player

contributing to the world champions' lineup, he needs a .350 or .400

month to make up for his s*** first month and a half.

I don't see it that way. If he hits .250 the rest of the season, the marginal effect on his average will bring it up to, what, .210-.230? Aren't we asking him to hit .250 with great D? We've got (tied) for the best record in with him hitting in Julio Ramirez territory. If he can hit .300 the rest of the season, that's great, but a slow climb in his average will do. What we need to look for is steady improvement more than anything. If he regresses, that's when we need to worry.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
True, heads22, but at some point, if he expects to be a big league player

contributing to the world champions' lineup, he needs a .350 or .400

month to make up for his s*** first month and a half.

.350 - .400 is not going to happen, remember Uribe's amazing September last year? He ended up hitting .304 for the month. We'll be lucky if we get one month out of him where he hits .300 seeing how Rowand did that twice last year (.320 being the high).

I can never figure out why people throw out magic numbers which Anderson's batting average must be higher than at the end of the season to call him a success. It really is ridiculous. The difference between 10 or 20 batting average points over the course of a season is just a handful of hits. Getting an extra bloop single each month or lining the ball right at someone a few more times than normal will skew results for better or worse. Batting average is just not the metric we should be using to measure anyone's worthiness in their rookie season. All we can hope for is for Anderson is to keep up the stellar defense and work on improving his contact rate at the plate.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 18, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
All we can hope for is for Anderson is to keep up the stellar defense and work on improving his contact rate at the plate.

Yep absolutely, and I think in the last week or 2 in terms of him making contact he has done a better job of that (well before he faced Scott Kazmir).

For a team built around pitching and defense though, he is certainly doing his part in terms of that aspect.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 18, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
I can never figure out why people throw out magic numbers which Anderson's batting average must be higher than at the end of the season to call him a success. It really is ridiculous. The difference between 10 or 20 batting average points over the course of a season is just a handful of hits. Getting an extra bloop single each month or lining the ball right at someone a few more times than normal will skew results for better or worse. Batting average is just not the metric we should be using to measure anyone's worthiness in their rookie season. All we can hope for is for Anderson is to keep up the stellar defense and work on improving his contact rate at the plate.

Because if BA doesn't get his average up, we'll keep seeing threads like this one:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49995