AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!!&a

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Felix @ May 18, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Doesn't saying "besides the Twin game" sort of destroy any solid consistancy?

Well then I could bring up the argument of Mark Buerhle's consistency over his last few outings all over again.

Jon's ERA for this month would probably be down to around the 4.00 mark after tonight's outing, which is a lot better than the 7.11 he had in April. So yeah it's progress.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
GREAT job JG. Perfect confidence builder for big Jon. It's time for him to build on this start.

Good job by the offense.

Good game all around.

:drink :drink :gosox1: :gosox1: :headbang :headbang

I like to go with the optimist when there's a disagreement about where a player is headed. I think Garland will have another good outing next time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Your right, he blows. Tonight was nothing to build on, and I expect nothing short of 8 ER next outing.

Garland sucks.

I do agree that he sucks (I know, you aren't being serious), but thats not what I was saying. If you are saying something about consistancy, doesn't saying "besides " sort of go against the point of saying anything about consistancy in the first place?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Your right, he blows. Tonight was nothing to build on, and I expect nothing short of 8 ER next outing.

Garland sucks.

What was the point of that? He made a valid observation, you can't just take away outings when talking about a players consistency.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
That I agree with. However, I dont see the point on just ragging on Garland, especially after a game like this. He was our 18 game winner last year, and its amazing how quickly people have turned on him.

I wasn't ragging on Garland.. I was "ragging on" something that was said about him that didn't make sense.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
That I agree with. However, I dont see the point on just ragging on Garland, especially after a game like this. He was our 18 game winner last year, and its amazing how quickly people have turned on him.

He hasn't been very good for the past 3 months, I certainly think it's OK to be worried about him and post your concerns. A lot of people think his fast start last year was an abberation and to a lesser extent, I agree. The guy just has absolutely no consistency.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 18, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
What was the point of that? He made a valid observation, you can't just take away outings when talking about a players consistency.

Well how many of our starters besides Contreras would you say has been "consistent" this season?

Garcia perhaps, but Buerhle, Garland and Vazquez have all had their bad outings so far this season, and those other 2 seem to get off scot free, Buerhle because he's proven, and Vazquez because everyone thinks he'll turn it around naturally.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
Well how many of our starters besides Contreras would you say has been "consistent" this season?

Garcia perhaps, but Buerhle, Garland and Vazquez have all had their bad outings so far this season, and those other 2 seem to get off scot free, Buerhle because he's proven, and Vazquez because everyone thinks he'll turn it aroudn naturally.

Garland is the least proven of the 5.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
Vazquez gets by because he has been better than Garland. Period.

Vazquez has only had 2 bad outings and if you want to go even deeper he's really only had 2 bad innings.

Start 1: 2 KC

Start 2: 7 TOR

Start 3: 0 KC

Start 4: 2 SEA

Start 5: 0 CLE

Start 6: 2 KC

Start 7: 7 MIN

2 f***ing shutouts already, simply awesome.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
Vazquez gets by because he has been better than Garland. Period.

Exactly. Garland had a f***ing 7.something ERA. He deserved all the s*** that was thrown at him, especially since he's making a good deal of money now.

He pitched well tonight, nobody's debating that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
Vazquez has only had 2 bad outings and if you want to go even deeper he's really only had 2 bad innings.

Start 1: 2 KC

Start 2: 7 TOR

Start 3: 0 KC

Start 4: 2 SEA

Start 5: 0 CLE

Start 6: 2 KC

Start 7: 7 MIN

2 f***ing shutouts already, simply awesome.

But one was against Kansas s***ty, so don't get too excited. It's not like they are a real MLB team or anything.

:cheers :cheers

It's too early to tell how Garland's going to be this season. He hasn't been great this year, but his stuff looked crisp tonight. A lot of his bad pitches have been getting hit hard this year, which didn't happen last year during his great stretch. However, it's better to think short-term, and just be happy that he kept us close enough to win tonight.

Exactly. Garland had a f***ing 7.something ERA. He deserved all the s*** that was thrown at him, especially since he's making a good deal of money now. He pitched well tonight, nobody's debating that.

I don't think he deserved all the "s*** that was thrown at him."

The guy was DOMINANT last postseason. We hadn't won a WS in about 99 years.

Give the guy a break.

If this is the start of something big, great. But look around baseball

and you'll see a ton of starters that have been "inconsistent."

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
I don't think he deserved all the "s*** that was thrown at him."

The guy was DOMINANT last postseason. We hadn't won a WS in about 99 years.

Give the guy a break.

If this is the start of something big, great. But look around baseball

and you'll see a ton of starters that have been "inconsistent."

Just because the team hadn't won a world series in 88 years doesn't mean every f***er on that team gets a free pass for life. Garland was less than impressive in August and September of last year, he was great in the playoffs but he also came out sucking this year. A near Century of suckitude does not give Jonny boy a free pass to be bad.

Just because the team hadn't won a world series in 88 years doesn't mean every f***er on that team gets a free pass for life. Garland was less than impressive in August and September of last year, he was great in the playoffs but he also came out sucking this year. A near Century of suckitude does not give Jonny boy a free pass to be bad.

I'm not talking about a free pass to be bad. The guy is 3-2 and yes he's been pretty s***ty, but not so s***ty as to not give him a break for a while. I think some people just hate Garland and always will. Not saying you

are one of them, but he'll be Judy to some, forever.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
I'm not talking about a free pass to be bad. The guy is 3-2 and yes he's been pretty s***ty, but not so s***ty as to not give him a break for a while. I think some people just hate Garland and always will. Not saying you

are one of them, but he'll be Judy to some, forever.

August:

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA

6 6 1 4 0 0 0 37.2 47 24 20 6 10 21 4.78 1.51 .309

September:

5 5 1 2 0 1 1 37.0 33 16 16 7 10 24 3.89 1.16 .243

April/May:

7 7 2 2 0 0 0 44.0 60 33 33 8 10 19 6.75 1.59 .333

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total:

18 18 4 8 0 1 1 118.2 140 73 69 21 30 64 5.23 1.43

When exactly does his break end and we start worrying?