The NL "Worst"

WilliamTell

Last year this division was just plain terrible. I still don't think this division is that good this year, but all the teams are above .500. Colorado is probably overachieving, and who knows if San Deigo will play like this all year. I see 5 average at best teams in that division.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 19, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
I still don't understand how one of those GMs didn't go all out this offseason.

It would be the easiest money ever spent for a division title

I think Ned Colletti of the Dodgers was fairly close to doing that. He did give up out some big contracts to the likes of Furcal, and trade for Baez.

Really like what Josh Byrnes is building down in Arizona though.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 18, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)

Besides the Giants, all those teams have very good farm systems. No reason to clog up the major league roster.

The Dodgers have a ton of young guys and budding stars in their system, so that's why they didn't go more all out. I thought Colletti did a nice job of balancing spending the dough to improve his team while still leaving spots for the young guys to come up and have a chance to play at.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Last year this division was just plain terrible. I still don't think this division is that good this year, but all the teams are above .500. Colorado is probably overachieving, and who knows if San Deigo will play like this all year. I see 5 average at best teams in that division.

The whole NL is pretty weak this while the NL west is bad it still might be the best in the National League though. I agree that colorado is overachieving and San Fransico will not be able to compete with that terrible pen.

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(SnB @ May 18, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)

Well I know the Dbacks and Josh Byrnes had to dig out of the mess (bad contracts) left behind by the previous managment group. I think all and all Brynes had a good off season by dumping the Glaus contract, getting a solid defensive second baseman and finally getting a cheap but good CF who can be a stop gap until the farm system can kick in. Now come July and the Dbacks are setting close to the divison lead I can see a trade to improve the starting pitching which looks to be the only weakness on this team.