Mariotti = god

Maybe I'm just too sober to understand the absurd rationale of it all. The Cubs say the female fan who threw the baseball that almost nailed Jacque Jones -- a ball that could have injured his eye, fractured his cheek or bruised his brain -- was indeed drunk. They say she was detained by their security people and was asked questions about why she would do a stupid, dangerous thing. They also say they don't condone such behavior.

And then, they let her go home without having her arrested.

On the field, in the stands -- the Cubs are idiots every which way. What we needed here was a firm statement about security, alcohol and fan etiquette. Along with the thrown baseball, there were reports that Jones was badgered in right field by racial epithets, which, if true -- "I'm hearing all kinds of things,'' he says -- should result in immediate ejection from the Unfriendly Confines. But because naming rights to the sacred bleachers were sold to Bud Light for less than $1 million, mere chump change by North Side cash-cow standards, I guess it's OK for fans to get blitzed on the official sponsor's product and fire objects at underperforming players.

"The ball came whizzing by my head. It went right past my face,'' said Jones, who angered the right-field mob when he committed yet another baserunning blunder that prematurely ended a rally. "I'm not going to let one person ruin my time here. I signed here for three years, and I signed here to help the team win. I probably haven't played my best baseball. I understand that. You can voice whatever opinions, but throwing stuff at me isn't acceptable in any way, shape or form.''

Management summoned the Wrigley Field security manager, Mike Hill, to address the players Wednesday. Incredibly, the Cubs accepted the woman's explanation that she was imitating fans who throw enemy home-run balls onto the grass -- even though no home run had been hit. "My understanding is it's an isolated incident,'' Dusty Baker said. "They said that she saw people throwing balls back on the field on TV, and she thought that was the thing to do. She probably had too much to drink. ... I bet you if she had tried to hit Jacque 10 times, she probably couldn't have come that close. They're taking care of it.''

Are they?

Welcome to the new Philly

Not to sound like a prude, but the senselessness never ends. When the subject should be Kerry Wood and his latest prelude to another disabled-list trip, indignant fans again were all the buzz even as rookie Sean Marshall took a no-hitter into the sixth inning in a 5-0 win over the pitiful Washington Nationals. With seeds already planted for maybe the most contentious Crossdown Showdown yet -- is any Cubs fan insane enough to venture to the South Side this weekend when their team stinks and the White Sox are champions? -- I feel compelled to issue a plea to fans of both teams.

Please, no more incidents.

Because ballpark rowdyism is becoming as endemic to Chicago as it is to Philadelphia, which isn't a good thing when you're trying to attract, oh, the 2016 Olympics. You want the baseball version of Malice at the Palace to be associated with this town? Unless the bad apples in the crowds start thinking before they plunge into foolishness, it wouldn't surprise me if players eventually strike back.

"You wish it didn't happen, especially at home,'' said Baker, who is hearing the most heckling. "This is our home. We want our home fans for us. We're going to play better. We're not pleased with the way we've played. This doesn't make it any better. We hope we can all learn from this incident.''

Here's a refresher ballpark code to live by: To boo is cool, to write clever insults on signs is fine, but to throw objects at a player -- or attack a first-base coach or umpire, or steal an opposing player's cap, or charge after a pitcher, or participate in any of the incidents that have haunted both Chicago ballparks for years -- is sick stuff. Interesting as it is to see Cubdom rebelling so vocally after too many years of fuzzy-wuzzy, lovable-losers tolerance, fans cross a jeopardous line when they mix beer and bitterness. I've always encouraged the fans, for all the pain and heartbreak they've endured through time, to pressure management. Boo Dusty. Call for Jim Hendry's head. Refer to Andy MacPhail as Andy MacFail. I do those things all the time in print, especially of late.

But when you throw a baseball or pepper players with racist remarks, you become the biggest loser in town. And when you suddenly cheer Jones wildly when he keeps swinging a recent hot bat and produces an early double and single Wednesday, you look like the biggest dope in town.

Get a grip, people. Before someone is seriously hurt.

"I'd be [afraid] if a baseball came whizzing by my head,'' said Todd Walker, Jones' teammate. "You can't put the entire fan base of the Cubs around one idiot out there. But what you can see start to happen when you lose is more people booing plays, and the reality is, it's not plays that should be booed. Let's understand the game a little more and back this team. I think we have a great chance to do some things.''

Animosity adds up

Now that's a smart reaction, Todd, telling fans to understand the game better and back a loser. Go ahead and exacerbate the situation, why don't you? They understand the game well enough to know two sets of numbers: 98, the number of years without a World Series championship; and 4-14, the Cubs' record since April 29. They also know, while too ashamed to say so, that the first Sox series since the great Chicago baseball breakthrough starts tomorrow. One of the annual rites associated with the Crosstown Showdown is comparing the teams by position and creating an all-city team. Normally, one team manages a slight edge. I came up with one Cub.

Greg Maddux, who makes the rotation.

Ryan Dempster and Ronny Cedeno were considered, but fell short. Juan Pierre gets the edge in center field over struggling Sox rookie Brian Anderson, but Pierre has been so bad himself, I'm leaving the position empty.

When Walker says the Cubs have "a great chance to do some things,'' he doesn't say the Cubs have a chance to do some great things, which I think is what he was trying to say. For anything to come of this season, Wood and Mark Prior -- God, my wrist aches every time I write this -- have to pitch effectively and not suffer predictable injury relapses. That's about as likely as the Cubs shutting down beer taps for good in the Bud Light Bleachers, but with Wood starting today and Prior due to pitch Friday in a Rookie League game, the hope train is trying to restart its tired, old engine.

"I'm not nervous or anything,'' Wood said. "I'm just going to go out and pitch.''

And if he's wild and leaves after three innings, do humanity a favor.

Don't throw anything.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html

Mariotti could write decent stuff the rest of his career and he's still a jackass.

Please don't refer to Kotex Boy as god ever again.

Also, what's with posting any of this Cubs crap?

We're world champs, why are we even talking about them, their fans or what is going on there?

I refuse to believe the notion that Cubs fans might be racist. Over the last 3 years, their whipping boys have been Hawkins, Patterson, and now, Jones.

It just happens that they're all black. They all suck however, and the Cubs fans are making it known. They also booed Sosa :fthecubs :sosasucks

Nice Jay. He passed on an opportinuty to mention Disco Demolition, that's a nice improvement.

My favorite line

Juan Pierre gets the edge in center field over struggling Sox rookie Brian Anderson, but Pierre has been so bad himself, I'm leaving the position empty.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 18, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
Where the f is prior BTW. Its pretty sad that a pitcher who had shoulder surgery is back before someone who had "some discomfort"

you didnt hear? Food poisoning set him back a few weeks

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...-sportscubs-hed

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 18, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Mariotti could write decent stuff the rest of his career and he's still a jackass.

Please don't refer to Kotex Boy as god ever again.

We're world champs, why are we even talking about them, their fans or what is going on there?

Its been a rapidly growing snowball sailing downhill for the cubsessed one, cuck the fubs.

I am almost willing to bet he knows more about the Cubs than the Sox

Now that the Sox have a World Series win, I can handle Cub success a little better. No way I wanted to have them win one before the Sox. I also always remember these are, in many cases, the same fans who sit between us at Bulls, Hawks, and Bears games and we high five them and have a good time. I've always guessed it was all those summer day games in the sun that cause them to be temporarily insane and rooting for the Tribune's

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 18, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
Cubs fans are not racist, however Sox games and Sox fans (as well as our organization) are more open to different kinds of people than the Cubs are.

Do you have data to back that up? :rolly

The vast majority of Cubs fans are not racists, nor are Sox fans are not inherently "more open to different kinds of people" than Cubs fans.

The only difference between the two is that Cubs fans are willing to put up with more crap from their team.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 18, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Do you have data to back that up? :rolly

The vast majority of Cubs fans are not racists, nor are Sox fans are not inherently "more open to different kinds of people" than Cubs fans.

The only difference between the two is that Cubs fans are willing to put up with more crap from their team.

Go to a few Cubs games, go to a few Sox games, grow up here, have friends who like each team......I don't have specific data, but Sox fans are much more racially tolerant than Cubs fans. Cub fans really fit the "rich white people" profile often times, and also have a lot of older fans. And if you are looking for racists in this country, those are the 2 directions you are going to look. That's all I'm saying.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 18, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
Go to a few Cubs games, go to a few Sox games, grow up here, have friends who like each team......I don't have specific data, but Sox fans are much more racially tolerant than Cubs fans. Cub fans really fit the "rich white people" profile often times, and also have a lot of older fans. And if you are looking for racists in this country, those are the 2 directions you are going to look. That's all I'm saying.

I did grow up there. I was going to games at old Comiskey and Wrigley before you were born. I also had a gun stuck in my face while being called a "white motherf***er" in Chicago Heights back in high school, so I'm well-versed in Chicago-area race relations as well.

In case you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of "rich white people" going to Sox games. Lots of corporate Republicans in the skyboxes too. Many of my black and Hispanic friends from back home are Cubs fans. If you're looking for racists in this country, you're not going to find many in either ballpark.

Edited by WCSox

I expected no less from the Mayor of Wrigleyville when I read the blank spot in center for his all-city team.

Not that I think you can accuse anyone hitting under .200 as having a particularly great year, but apparently he is too busy getting muted on Around the Horn to catch up on Brian Anderson's highlight reel in the field.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 18, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)

Ask the CCF posting all the s***...

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 18, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I did grow up there. I was going to games at old Comiskey and Wrigley before you were born. I also had a gun stuck in my face while being called a "white motherf***er" in Chicago Heights back in high school, so I'm well-versed in Chicago-area race relations as well.

In case you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of "rich white people" going to Sox games. Lots of corporate Republicans in the skyboxes too. Many of my black and Hispanic friends from back home are Cubs fans. If you're looking for racists in this country, you're not going to find many in either ballpark.

Fair enough.

Racism is in all corners of our society. Some corners are hidden better than some others. It is impossible to label one group as more or less racist.

Also true. I had my reasons for my comments, and if you knew me you'd get it better. I was probably not accurate though for people overall, so I apologize in that respect.

Edited by whitesoxfan101