White Sox News Conference Coming Up Live on ESPNews

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ May 20, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Barrett admitted to Fox's Cory McPheron that it was a clean play by AJ and he saw AJ coming at him so he just lost it and hit him...10 games hopefully for the man who got mad at B Roberts for stealing a base

Dave Roberts.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ May 20, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Barrett admitted to Fox's Cory McPheron that it was a clean play by AJ and he saw AJ coming at him so he just lost it and hit him...10 games hopefully for the man who got mad at B Roberts for stealing a base

So the Cubs would lose another of their top hitters, hilarious.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 20, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Cubs messageboard

Some defending Barrett and calling out Dusty for not backing up his player. Pretty rich stuff

I agree with the end of that statement completely, and its just another example of Dusty being a horrible manager. It tells the player that Dusty Baker doesn't give a s*** about them, only himself looking good. Even if he doesn't believe it, a good manager backs up his players in a situation like that. Instead Dusty just threw his best hitter under the bus.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
I agree with the end of that statement completely, and its just another example of Dusty being a horrible manager. It tells the player that Dusty Baker doesn't give a s*** about them, only himself looking good. Even if he doesn't believe it, a good manager backs up his players in a situation like that. Instead Dusty just threw his best hitter under the bus.

I don't like Dusty, but I really don't know what else he's supposed to say. Everyone who saw the play knows Barrett was out of line. Did anyone accuse Ozzie of throwing his team under a bus when he complimented Hunter for going out of his way to nail Burke?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
I don't like Dusty, but I really don't know what else he's supposed to say. Everyone who saw the play knows Barrett was out of line. Did anyone accuse Ozzie of throwing his team under a bus when he complimented Hunter for going out of his way to nail Burke?

Comlimenting the opponent and burying your teammate are two different things.

Dusty wasnt going to make too many things up(cough i didnt see any punches thrown cough), I dont see how he could have supported Barrett in this instance. Barrett has a history of this kind of behavior, and Baker cannot keep glossing it over. Dusty probably just lost his best hitter right now because of a play that Dusty said himself was a good baseball play, and AJ did nothing wrong.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)

Eh the one thing Dusty does is he doesnt throw his players under the bus. No matter how bad they messup on the field like Jaque Jones getting picked off at 2nd twice he doesnt really call them out. While Ozzie probably would of ripped the s*** out of Jones in the media. Dusty Baker is not a good manager but to accuse him of throwing his best hitter under the bus is dumb..... especially when the video is so clear and Barrett is admitting he f***ed up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
I think both Dusty and Barrett want the league to know he feels remorse and knows he was wrong so his suspension won't be as long.

Yeah. They were clearly trying to do damage control on that one. Kinda funny really.

If Barrett gets less than 10 games Id be shocked.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 20, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Yeah. They were clearly trying to do damage control on that one. Kinda funny really.

If Barrett gets less than 10 games Id be shocked.

Just had ESPNNews on and they were running through the longest non-drug/alcohol suspensions.

30 games is the longest. Hell the Rangers pitcher Frankie Francisco only got 16 for throwing a chair in the stands in 2004.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2098862

Fun sidebar list of the longest suspensions. In 2000, Juan Samuel got 15 for throwing punches in a brawl. So I think the bar is set that Barrett is going to see about that kind of punishment.

And are these suspensions without pay or do they 'get paid' (wink wink nudge nudge) but have it go to a charity instead?

Why should he back him up? Michael Barrett did everything wrong. AJ Pierzynski did everything right. Go back to when Torrii Hunter steamrolled Jamie Burke at the plate. It was a much dirtier play, but Guillen didn't do s*** but say, "That's how I want my guys to play." Yet, we all wanted retaliation. There are a lot of things about managing a ball club that us fans don't and never will understand.

Barrett was in the wrong and made the incident occur. After you see the video and read the comments from those involved, it's becomes clear who is at fault. Anderson will probably be the player from the Sox who serves the most games.

It's just funny to see that the Cubs have really just bottomed out at this point. This is turning into an ugly season for them.