Matt Thornton

DBAHO

Since the May 10 game against the Angels, Matt's pitched 2.2 innings of scoreless relief with 4 K's (with only 1 hit). I know it's not much in terms of a sample size, but he seems to have shaken off that back injury now, and he's starting to look fairly good again. And that's very important in the whole shape of our bullpen right now.

Thornton is consistently hitting 97-98mph on the speedgun these last few outings. Appears healthy to me.

The slider Thornton threw to Jacque Jones today is EXACTLY the type of pitch he needs to harness. There was no radar gun available on FOX, but I'm guessing it had to be around 85-89 mph. Jones just froze at the plate.

You have a effortless 97 mph fastball coupled with a high 80's breaking ball--even if it isn't very sharp--and you'll prove to be a valuable pitcher for someones bullpen. Hopefully ours.

As I've always said, you can teach someone a certain pitch; can't teach velocity.

I was against this trade when it happened, but it's starting to look like the Sox made a good move.

Of course, Thornton has had his share of bad innings so far, but nobody in the bullpen has been lights out, and having his 97 throwing southpay ass is probably more valuable than Borchard taking AB's away from Ozuna.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
I think Montero will go down instead of Logan, but that's just me.

What if Montero AND Logan go down, Contreras comes off the DL and Nelson comes up? How long has Nelson been down there, only a week or more?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
What if Montero AND Logan go down, Contreras comes off the DL and Nelson comes up? How long has Nelson been down there, only a week or more?

It's only a matter of when Nelson comes up. Both the rooks will be gone within a week.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
Thornton is consistently hitting 97-98mph on the speedgun these last few outings. Appears healthy to me.

The slider Thornton threw to Jacque Jones today is EXACTLY the type of pitch he needs to harness. There was no radar gun available on FOX, but I'm guessing it had to be around 85-89 mph. Jones just froze at the plate.

You have a effortless 97 mph fastball coupled with a high 80's breaking ball--even if it isn't very sharp--and you'll prove to be a valuable pitcher for someones bullpen. Hopefully ours.

As I've always said, you can teach someone a certain pitch; can't teach velocity.

I didn't see his slider. But if he can throw that or any offspeed pitch for a strike, he'll be huge. Players then just can't sit on his FB.

One thing I've noticed, Thornton looks very composed and calm out there. He didn't have that look to him during spring.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 21, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
I was against this trade when it happened, but it's starting to look like the Sox made a good move.

Of course, Thornton has had his share of bad innings so far, but nobody in the bullpen has been lights out, and having his 97 throwing southpay ass is probably more valuable than Borchard taking AB's away from Ozuna.

I'll add my thoughts on to your post. I wasn't so much against the trade as I was just of giving up on Borchard. I figured there had to be an upside to Matt Thornton who could throw 99 MPH BB's. He just needed someone who could help him harness that raw speed to be effective. I think that is happened. However, I still wish we would have traded someone other than Borchard as I see him as more versatile and more upside than what we have been seeing with Gload. Now mind you I realize it's hard to be productive when you get like 1 or 2 at bats a week, but that may also be the reason we should have kept Joe B as the OF is where we can manuever more for spot starts and fill ins,

Something I've noticed with Thornton: His slider isn't effective at all against righties. He's better off sticking with the fastball to righties, and using the slider against lefties. As long as he can throw strikes with his fastball, he'll be a solid option in the bullpen.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:51 AM)
I think Montero will go down instead of Logan, but that's just me.

I agree. The weird thing is that Jeff Nelson has been deactivated in Charlotte (well he's inactive). So I'm wondering if thats a sign he's about to join Chicago or if he is giving up or what.

Montero down, Logan down, Lopez or Nelson back up.

I'll add my thoughts on to your post...

I agree that it should have been Gload shipped out instead of Borchard, given if Gload is not going to get any burn. At this point, neither Gload or Borchard is anything other than a replacement player, but Borchard at least can play a passable CF, and still has some upside as a possible 4th outfielder. Gload is probably just a AAAA player, given that he can't hit well enough to be a full time 1B, and has no defensive value in the corner OF as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
I agree. The weird thing is that Jeff Nelson has been deactivated in Charlotte (well he's inactive). So I'm wondering if thats a sign he's about to join Chicago or if he is giving up or what.

Montero down, Logan down, Lopez or Nelson back up.

I never got a reply but that might have just been a mistake on the roster.