Uribe

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Before every game, Farmer asks Uribe what are you going to do. Juan proudly says, I am going to hit a homer. He guarentees a homer every game.

Then he spends the next 4ABS swinging at anything relatively near the plate. Sometimes almost bounced in with large full cuts almost like its the home run derby. Its lovely when you have a guy who is wild as hell, walking the world and you are trying to rally and you see a few guys down Uribe is coming up. He strolls to the plate, and on the first pitch pops it up or GIDP to kill the threat. In the second half of last year he hit decent. He closed his stance off, and kept on the ball. Now he has completely forgot that and is back to his Tasmanian Devil impersonation. Juan needs to stop thinking he is Tejada, and start to hit the ball like a major leaguer. For all the crap Anderson has got on this board, Juan has been in the league for a while. He should hit a lot better than this.

BTW Jason called his in ST that Cintron would be our starting SS by the allstar break. I think he will be right.

I think Jas was actually saying Cintron would be starting at 2B.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 21, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
This is how Uribe has always been, he plays like they just plucked him out of the wild to play baseball. How long to Oswaldo Guillen feels the same way?

A couple of things with that: one, Ozzie is known for being patient with his hitters since he, for one, never set the world on fire offensively (although his self-depreciating comments about himself ARE a tad excessive). For another, he was with Robin Ventura when he started his season like Podsednik started this one.

Guillen was kind to Dye. He'll be kind to Anderson. And our team's going to be better for it.

Additionally, Williams told Guillen, from what I've read when he traded for him, that Ozzie will "love the way Uribe plays." The way Uribe plays, at least defensively, is what'll keep him in Ozzie's heart and, more importantly, line up.

Maybe Guillen will bench him a bit more, but I don't think we'll see him replaced by Cintron.

Did everyone ignore Konerko and Crede's errors? Did everyone also ignore the fact that Uribe wasn't charged with an error? 1 bad game, people. Uribe has been rock solid in the field ever since he put on a White Sox uniform. God forbid him to have a couple bad months and a couple of bad defensive plays. Just like Brian Anderson, he isn't hurting the team. Every once and awhile, if you can believe this, a short stop might make a bad throw. Even major league short stops.

RELAX.

This is a REAL important time in Juan Uribe's career right now. I think most people around in baseball would definitely say he's among the best 3 or 4 defensive shortstops in the game

But his utter lack of having a plan, having the same swing every AB has just hurt any chance he'll probably ever have of being the same .280-.300 hitter that we first saw when he came on the Southside.

And I thought at the start of the season, you put him back in the #2 hole, and he MIGHT get back into that form.

And at some point, for a guy at his age, and where he is in his career in regards to the time he's had in the majors to get his swing right, if he can't get over this hump, then Alex Cintron has a real chance to take a grasp on this SS job.

If Cintron gets a chance for a week, starts hitting well, and the Sox keep winning, all of a sudden the Sox have an issue here. But Alex has to show most importantly, that he can handle the job defensively, which has been the knock on him.

So I still think Uribe is gonna be the starter when it's all said and done, and at some point, he will hit. The only question is when.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 22, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
Did everyone ignore Konerko and Crede's errors? Did everyone also ignore the fact that Uribe wasn't charged with an error? 1 bad game, people. Uribe has been rock solid in the field ever since he put on a White Sox uniform. God forbid him to have a couple bad months and a couple of bad defensive plays. Just like Brian Anderson, he isn't hurting the team. Every once and awhile, if you can believe this, a short stop might make a bad throw. Even major league short stops.

RELAX.

Don't you get it??

If we don't go 162-0 this team SUCKS!! :P

Agreed. He still has that same "swing so hard I spin around and drill my way to China" approach to his offensive game. Would it kill ya, Juan, to shorten your swing up just a little bit?

Hey! Leave the Tazmanian Devil alone. He just likes corkscrewing himself into the ground every AB. :banghead

Before every game, Farmer asks Uribe what are you going to do. Juan proudly says, I am going to hit a homer. He guarentees a homer every game.

Then he spends the next 4ABS swinging at anything relatively near the plate. Sometimes almost bounced in with large full cuts almost like its the home run derby. Its lovely when you have a guy who is wild as hell, walking the world and you are trying to rally and you see a few guys down Uribe is coming up. He strolls to the plate, and on the first pitch pops it up or GIDP to kill the threat. In the second half of last year he hit decent. He closed his stance off, and kept on the ball. Now he has completely forgot that and is back to his Tasmanian Devil impersonation. Juan needs to stop thinking he is Tejada, and start to hit the ball like a major leaguer. For all the crap Anderson has got on this board, Juan has been in the league for a while. He should hit a lot better than this.

BTW Jason called his in ST that Cintron would be our starting SS by the allstar break. I think he will be right.

ph_346874.jpg

"PROFUNDO!!!" :headshake

Edited by SSH2005

I just dont understand how Uribe can go up there looking for a fastball EVERY at-bat, when everyone and their mom knows if you throw him 3 offspeed pitches, hell swing at all 3 and be 3 seconds early.

Or 3 pitches well off the left side of the plate and he fishes for it almost everytime.

Three quick points:

Don't get me started on Uribe's approach at the plate, you guys know how I feel about it.

Pauly should have caught the bad throw by Uribe yesterday, it looked like short armed the reach. Pauly's foot was also at the center of the bag, had he shuffled his foot over to the RF part of the bag and fully streched, he makes the catch and we're probably talking about a Sox sweep.

Yes, BA could've made the catch in CF on the Barrett triple.

Not Ozzie's fault, not Cotts' fault. The D failed, ballgame.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 22, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
Three quick points:

Don't get me started on Uribe's approach at the plate, you guys know how I feel about it.

Pauly should have caught the bad throw by Uribe yesterday, it looked like short armed the reach. Pauly's foot was also at the center of the bag, had he shuffled his foot over to the RF part of the bag and fully streched, he makes the catch and we're probably talking about a Sox sweep.

Yes, BA could've made the catch in CF on the Barrett triple.

Not Ozzie's fault, not Cotts' fault. The D failed, ballgame.

I agree with all your points but the second. Paulie had a chance, but I do think that Uribe absolutely gunned the ball over there, on the replay it looked like Paulie just didnt have time to adjust. Not to mention that he probably wasnt putting himself in a very mobile position since he wasnt expecting a tough play.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ May 22, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
I agree with all your points but the second. Paulie had a chance, but I do think that Uribe absolutely gunned the ball over there, on the replay it looked like Paulie just didnt have time to adjust. Not to mention that he probably wasnt putting himself in a very mobile position since he wasnt expecting a tough play.

That's fair.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

I love when White Sox players make me eat crow. :)

Uribe's numbers since June 15th: .357/7/28

His average has gone from .195 to .242. I don't even want to think about what his slugging% is during this time. The only negavtive, of course, is he's only walked once in this stretch -- but that's to be expected. I don't think it's any coincidence that this offense has gone completely nuts since Juan started hitting.

Keep it going, Juan!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 22, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
This is a REAL important time in Juan Uribe's career right now. I think most people around in baseball would definitely say he's among the best 3 or 4 defensive shortstops in the game

So I still think Uribe is gonna be the starter when it's all said and done, and at some point, he will hit. The only question is when.

Good and prescient post there DBAH0!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 12:46 AM)
I still want to see what his stat line is at the end of the season.

I just went over to fangraphs to check out his trends, and it's pretty crazy what he's doing right now. Prior to this year, his BB%, P/PA and K/BB had all been trending up, which was very encouraging to us Juan fans and stat heads. Now, they are almost all down. However, his ISO, and FB% are WAY up.

He's having an AJ like 2005 almost: lots of fly balls with plenty of HR and doubles, few walks, lower BA and subpar OBP. His BABIB is down, as is his line drive percentage. His ISO is over 2, which is very, very good.

If he can start taking soem damn walks, he'll be a damn fine hitter. I don't expect it though, and I'm a big Juan supporter/apoligist.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
I just went over to fangraphs to check out his trends, and it's pretty crazy what he's doing right now. Prior to this year, his BB%, P/PA and K/BB had all been trending up, which was very encouraging to us Juan fans and stat heads. Now, they are almost all down. However, his ISO, and FB% are WAY up.

He's having an AJ like 2005 almost: lots of fly balls with plenty of HR and doubles, few walks, lower BA and subpar OBP. His BABIB is down, as is his line drive percentage. His ISO is over 2, which is very, very good.

If he can start taking soem damn walks, he'll be a damn fine hitter. I don't expect it though, and I'm a big Juan supporter/apoligist.

You can't make everyone your perfect SABR hitter. If you take a guy like Uribe and tell him to take more pitches, you ruin the good things he does at the plate. That's why the logic is flawed. Some guys are made to take cuts. Juan's one of them.

reason#23498723 that statheads just don't get it.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)
You can't make everyone your perfect SABR hitter. If you take a guy like Uribe and tell him to take more pitches, you ruin the good things he does at the plate. That's why the logic is flawed. Some guys are made to take cuts. Juan's one of them.

reason#23498723 that statheads just don't get it.

LOL! I'll never get it! Way to respond to a very reasonable post on Uribe. Jesus, you don't have to be a "stathead" to want the man to take a f***ing walk every one and awile. This isn't "Dusty Baker" base clogging ball! :bang

Reading that almost made my head explode. I might know what two of those things are.

Don't take this as an attack on stats, though. I just don't pay attention to a lot of those things so they confuse me.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
Reading that almost made my head explode. I might know what two of those things are.

Don't take this as an attack on stats, though. I just don't pay attention to a lot of those things so they confuse me.

It's pretty easy Milkman and none of those stats requires anything more than basic division. I'll run them down really quick:

P/PA -- Pitches per plate appearance. The higher the better. Everyone agrees patience at the plate is good. It tires the pitcher, creates walks, etc.

K/BB -- Strikeout to walk ratio. A good indicator of how well a player commands the strike zone, but not the end all. (See Jim Thome!!)

ISO -- Simply Slugging minus BA. A good indicator of what type a hitter a player is. Players with good ISO numbers are promising, because the potential is there to be harnessed in the form of increased plate discipline. It's usually brought up more in the minors to project players, but it's helpful in Juan's case to show that he has a fair amount of power, it's just his overall hitting that needs work.

BABIB -- Batting average balls in play. Simply a measure of how many hits a player has when he puts the ball in play. If you've played the game or just watched a lot, you know that sometimes rockets are hit right at people and sometimes dribbles make it through the hole. BABIB help tell when a player has just gotten "lucky".

FB % and LD % Just the % of fly balls and line drives a player hits. Good hitters obviously hit more line drives and home run hitters obviously hit more fly balls. Players with high LD % (Frank Thomas for example) usually have very good BABIB, and good stats in general.

I hope that helped. I wish more people had an open mind about so called "advanced" stats. This is just common sense stuff that is helpful to judge how a player is performing, and how they might do in the future.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

If they don't understand it, they hate it.

To translate(as best I can):

"Over the past couple years, Juan has been starting to take more pitches and extending his ABs; thus, he's walking more and striking out a little less, which is very good news. However, this year, he isn't taking as many pitches, and as a result he's striking out more and walking more. However, he's getting more extra base hits and producing more flyballs, which is a good and bad thing.

He's having a year like AJ....~ He was getting a bit unlucky, as a lot of the balls he was hitting were being made into outs, but some of that was due to fewer line drives. However, of his 61 hits on the year, nearly half(27) are for extra bases, which is quite encouraging.

If he can start taking more pitches and start looking for good pitches to hit instead of just swinging at anything thrown at him, he is going to be a damn fine hitter..."

Hope that helps ya man...I feel for you. :D