uh-oh

samclemens

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Oh they did get a warrant? Well, then why are they b****ing? I know it isn't protocol or whatever, but if they had a warrant - then good for DOJ.

It's an issue over separation of powers. The FBI is an extension of the administrative branch, Mr Jefferson being a member of the legislative.

Yes, but as part of a criminal investigation - the separation shouldn't matter. Whether or not this is excessive is one thing (and it probably is - but then again our administration LOVES excessive action or a lack of it) If the Congressman broke the law and there was probable cause to seek out these papers, by all means I fail to see why this would be any worse than someone raiding your house or office with a warrant.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
Yes, but as part of a criminal investigation - the separation shouldn't matter. Whether or not this is excessive is one thing (and it probably is - but then again our administration LOVES excessive action or a lack of it) If the Congressman broke the law and there was probable cause to seek out these papers, by all means I fail to see why this would be any worse than someone raiding your house or office with a warrant.

Regardless of your opinion on what should be, this is the issue that causing the problem.

Holy crap, the Democratic leadership is doing the right thing.

WASHINGTON, May 24 /U.S. Newswire/ -- House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi today released the following letter she sent to Congressman William Jefferson this morning:

May 24, 2006

Congressman William J. Jefferson, 2113 Rayburn House Office Building, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Congressman Jefferson:

In the interest of upholding the high ethical standard of the House Democratic Caucus, I am writing to request your immediate resignation from the Ways and Means Committee.

Sincerely,

Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Leader

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
It's also something they've done consistently since Pelosi became minority leader btw.

Have any other Democrats actually faced indictments for bribery since Pelosi became Minority Leader?

Actually, this Congressman has not been indicted for anything yet - but when an investigation is launched, other Congressmen from the Dem side have stepped down from committees where there may seem to be a conflict of interest in the interest of preserving the ethics of the institution.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
Actually, this Congressman has not been indicted for anything yet - but when an investigation is launched, other Congressmen from the Dem side have stepped down from committees where there may seem to be a conflict of interest in the interest of preserving the ethics of the institution.

You can't tell me that you actually believe that. You are not stupid. You may be a liberal, but you are not that stupid. NONE of the politicians do what they do to 'preserve the ethics of the institution', They ALL do what they do with their own best interests in mind, the interests of their party next, and maybe then, some nagging little ethics concern. Those that would put ethics first, from both parties, could probably be counted on one hand, and wouldn't even be in that type of situation for it to matter. Those 10 words have got to be the most insane things I have ever read on this site. Ever.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)

The indictments are probably going to come down in a little over a month, from what I've read. At this point it's basically a foregone conclusion.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
You can't tell me that you actually believe that. You are not stupid. You may be a liberal, but you are not that stupid. NONE of the politicians do what they do to 'preserve the ethics of the institution', They ALL do what they do with their own best interests in mind, the interests of their party next, and maybe then, some nagging little ethics concern. Those that would put ethics first, from both parties, could probably be counted on one hand, and wouldn't even be in that type of situation for it to matter. Those 10 words have got to be the most insane things I have ever read on this site. Ever.

You know the real sad thing IMO? If there was actually a Congressperson or two out there acting with the best interests of the institution first and simply not caring about their own interests or their party's, they wouldn't be recognized because the stench of everyone else up there is so bad that it's just sort of assumed that they're trying to benefit themselves no matter what.

You know what? I may be a bit naive I guess, but I get an actual sense that a lot of the candidates that are running for Congress on the Dem ticket and a lot of the Democrats serving in Congress are doing so for the right reasons. I'm sorry I'm not as jaded about my party as you are about yours.

For every Rostenkowski and Delay there is a Wellstone or a Lugar who do come to serve with honor and see their position in Congress as one of public service first and foremost.

Sadly, the Congressional Black Caucus is now going full-bore to defend this guy.

Furious black lawmakers, rallying behind Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.), were pulled back from the brink of open revolt against House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in an emergency meeting with her yesterday.

The meeting with a handful of CBC members was called after Pelosi wrote the embattled lawmaker, who is at the center of a massive bribery scandal, a curt note requesting his immediate resignation from the powerful Ways and Means Committee.

Outraged that one of its members was being picked on even though he has not been charged with a crime, the Congressional Black Caucus had intended to issue a defiant statement against their leader but agreed after the meeting to pause, at least briefly, for reflection.

They'll probably defend him to the bitter end too.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
"Bush Orders FBI-Congress Documents Sealed..."

drudgereport.com

I dunno, maybe this is the right thing to do here.

"This period will provide both parties more time to resolve the issues in a way that ensures that materials relevant to the ongoing criminal investigation are made available to prosecutors in a manner that respects the interests of a coequal branch of government," Bush said.

In a statement, Bush said he recognized that Republican and Democratic leaders in the House had "deeply held views" that the search on Rep. William Jefferson's Capitol Hill office violated the Constitution's separation of powers principles. But he stopped short of saying he agreed with them.

"Our government has not faced such a dilemma in more than two centuries," the president said. "Yet after days of discussions, it is clear these differences will require more time to be worked out."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 27, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
AG Gonzalez threatened to resign if Mr. Bush capitulated and gave back the seized documents.

Abu Gonzo grows a conscience now? Whodathunkit?

Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales and senior officials and career prosecutors at the Justice Department told associates this week that they were prepared to quit if the White House directed them to relinquish evidence seized in a bitterly disputed search of a House member's office, government officials said Friday.

Mr. Gonzales was joined in raising the possibility of resignation by the deputy attorney general, Paul J. McNulty, the officials said. Mr. Gonzales and Mr. McNulty told associates that they had an obligation to protect evidence in a criminal case and would be unwilling to carry out any White House order to return the material to Congress.

The potential showdown was averted Thursday when President Bush ordered the evidence to be sealed for 45 days to give Congress and the Justice Department a chance to work out a deal.

QUOTE(samclemens @ May 21, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/21/D8HOCUJ81.html

sorry...there are corrupt democrats, too.

It just goes to prove there is NO difference between them...but we all keep supporting these 2 political parties instead of smacking them in the head by uniting and voting for a different party... imagine the looks on all their faces if that happened.... priceless