Kerry Wood has a sore shoulder

thedoctor

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 22, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
I feel bad for Kerry Wood, because he seems like a genuinely good guy, but I don't feel bad for the Cubs.

They have continuously banked on Wood being healthy despite his injury history, and haven't done much (if anything) to acquire additional pitching help. Then he gets hurt again and they're stuck with rookies or middle relievers thrown into the rotation.

There were a LOT of available free-agent pitchers last offseason, and only guy they picked up was another injury case, Wade Miller. That's just inexcusable - I can see where the Prior thing may have blindsided them, but they KNEW Wood would spend some time on the DL after shoulder surgery.

I hope for Wood's sake that he can someday stay healthy, but it would be fitting for him to do that for another franchise.

Ditto. :notworthy

I met Kerry Wood last Thursday night, hours after his return and he is a VERY, VERY nice guy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
That makes sense because so many teams will be clammering over an injury prone and currently injured pitcher who's currently making $11M and he happens to have a full NO-trade clause.

If you take out your part about his no trade clause, your discription sounds a hell of alot like a certain AJ Burnett

I feel for the guy. He had (might still have) some serious talent. Problem is that his pitching coach allowed too many innings pitched as a rookie as well as poor mechanics - not a good combo no matter how you look at it.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 22, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
What did their fans do...? Nothing but class around us when the incident went down Saturday. Several Cub fans got tossed from the 1b dugout area because they were yelling at Baker.

Guess it's your alter ego posting death to Bonds, eh? :rolly

The fans AT THE GAME were class, and I think they represent the Cubs fanbase portion that do know the game and do really pay attention to their team. However their are FAR FAR in the minority in that damn fanbase, so that is where the hate comes from.

Also in regards to Wood, he has had legit injuries and does seem like a nice guy, so I will wish him the best once he leaves that organization after this season. Also I think in this case that if Wood misses the start, it's more the Cubs making him than Wood wanting to do it, I mean it sounds like he's just typically sore and the Cubs are way over reacting.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
I feel for the guy. He had (might still have) some serious talent. Problem is that his pitching coach allowed too many innings pitched as a rookie as well as poor mechanics - not a good combo no matter how you look at it.

Simulated games dont count Queen.

:D

The final line for Wood tonight:

5 IP, 2 hits, 5 walks, 3 runs (all earned) 3 k's, 86 pitches

A pedestrian line overall, although the Marlins have some people that are hitting right now, Hanley Ramirez entered the night leading the NL in average, Cabrera of course, Willingham has been good, Uggla is over .300, and Jeremy Hermida is back. Wood was in line and all set up to get the win tonight though and even up at 1-1 before the 2 out, 2 run single off Dumpster by Jacobs to win the game.

We'll see how he feels in 4 days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus combine the fact that he's had a bad back since he was 10 and his high school coach once allowed him to throw 2 innings in a game 30 mintues after he had thrown 146 pitches, and you've got a recipe for disaster

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Crankiness??? My wife would have missed the last half decade if she let crankiness keep her out of the game.

Your wife is in the game? Can she pitch? Or hit? Or play defense? If so, the Cubs could use her.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus combine the fact that he's had a bad back since he was 10 and his high school coach once allowed him to throw 2 innings in a game 30 mintues after he had thrown 146 pitches, and you've got a recipe for disaster

Hs, sympathy for a Cubbie. Say it ain't so, Cubsessed... :D

I'm a good Cub hater of the first degree, but to me that means that I want to see them lose, nothing more. Pro baseball is still about entertainment, and, I'm sorry, but when Wood is at the top of his game, he's still one of the pitchers I most enjoy watching. That is rarer and rarer, of course...

I remember watching Mark Prior strike out 16 Brewers, only to see the pen blow it. God DAMN, that was a great day.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 22, 2006 -> 07:53 AM)
I feel bad for Kerry Wood, because he seems like a genuinely good guy, but I don't feel bad for the Cubs.

They have continuously banked on Wood being healthy despite his injury history, and haven't done much (if anything) to acquire additional pitching help. Then he gets hurt again and they're stuck with rookies or middle relievers thrown into the rotation.

There were a LOT of available free-agent pitchers last offseason, and only guy they picked up was another injury case, Wade Miller. That's just inexcusable - I can see where the Prior thing may have blindsided them, but they KNEW Wood would spend some time on the DL after shoulder surgery.

I hope for Wood's sake that he can someday stay healthy, but it would be fitting for him to do that for another franchise.

Totally agree.

For how many years have the Cubs heard the warnings about Kerry Wood's mechanics and not done a damn thing?

Seriously, everyone was in awe of Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game in 1998, but the other side to everyone's praise was "...if he doesn't work on his mechanics..." He missed all of '99, parts of pretty much every season thereafter and has never been the same since, with 2003 an exception.

What kind of a kamikaze coaching staff must they have up there that they take two talented pitchers and run them into the ground the way they have?