Bruce Levine speculates about Cubs suspensions

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 21, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Really?

Pretty much. You can appeal as soon as it's handed down, and play until the appeal hearing is held, which it takes forever for MLB to do normally. If you are suspeneded for 3 games or something, you can pretty much appeal and if you feel it won't be changed, you can drop your appeal for 3 games against a bad team or something like that after a while.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 21, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Yeah. I think Barrett will just suck it up and take his medicine. Mabry probably wont appeal since he only got 3.

Im kinda worried about that whole Contreras thing though. Id hate to see him get suspended right after coming off the DL. If AJ gets any punishment at all I think he will appeal and probably win.

It's a lot easier for starting pitchers. You count thier off days as part of their suspension.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 21, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Yeah. I think Barrett will just suck it up and take his medicine. Mabry probably wont appeal since he only got 3.

Im kinda worried about that whole Contreras thing though. Id hate to see him get suspended right after coming off the DL. If AJ gets any punishment at all I think he will appeal and probably win.

If Count were to get suspended, it would be no more than Lee's 5 games and we'd probably use the appeal process and an off day to just skip him once in the rotation at some point if he did.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 22, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Well if thats the case then he might miss a start. Not a HUGE deal but it still sucks.

He wouldn't have to miss a start at all. He could always say he wants to appeal it, and then after his start, just drop the appeal. After 5 games, he can then pitch again. No reason to worry about it. I have a bad feeling that AJP's going to get a few games....and that would be bull.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
He wouldn't have to miss a start at all. He could always say he wants to appeal it, and then after his start, just drop the appeal. After 5 games, he can then pitch again. No reason to worry about it. I have a bad feeling that AJP's going to get a few games....and that would be bull.

I think AJ might get a fine at the very worst. Its pretty much universally agreed that it was a clean hit on Barrett and he didn't even retaliate after he got suckered. If anyone gets suspended its gonna be Anderson for sure.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
Anyone find any official confirmation regarding this? Neither cubs.com nor espn.com have anything about it.

I'm wondering the same thing and am getting ready to ask the pot-stirrer/troll who posted this to get banned.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 22, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
I think AJ might get a fine at the very worst. Its pretty much universally agreed that it was a clean hit on Barrett and he didn't even retaliate after he got suckered. If anyone gets suspended its gonna be Anderson for sure.

Anderson's going to get 5 games, if this report is true.

BTW...I think this report is bogus. I can't see MLB announcing a suspension late on a Sunday night.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Anderson's going to get 5 games, if this report is true.

BTW...I think this report is bogus. I can't see MLB announcing a suspension late on a Sunday night.

I hear ya. I was fully expecting them to announce everything tomorrow morning sometime.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
I'm wondering the same thing and am getting ready to ask the pot-stirrer/troll who posted this to get banned.

Learn how to read. My original post claimed that this was taken from another site and that I had no official confirmation.

It's a lot easier for starting pitchers. You count thier off days as part of their suspension.

SP's aren't even really suspended for a start. They're just pushed a day back. If MLB really wants starters to miss a start, they should give the pitcher 9: He makes his start, games 1-4 are his 4 days off, gamees 5 is his start, 6-9 are the 4 games b/t his next start.

FWIW the only confirmation of this news is someone on another board heard it announced during the Yanks/Mets game and apparently Bruce Levine mentioned it a while ago.

I've been watching ESPN News and listening to the Score since I posted this thread and heard/saw nothing on it. No mention on ESPN.com or Cubs.com.

Edited by BigSqwert

A friend of mine who is watching the game said he didn't hear anything about this (but he was wandering in and out of the room, so didn't hear the whole broadcast)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Couldn't they decide after viewing tape he should be suspended and was worthy of an ejection, the way they can in the NBA deciding whether a foul warrents a technical or not, or if someones actions are worthy of flagerant foul points, etc.?

I'm not a guide on the rule book, of course, but that's what the announcers said yesterday: that they can only be suspended if the umpires eject them. Perhaps that's wrong or incomplete, but that's all I know.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
I'm not a guide on the rule book, of course, but that's what the announcers said yesterday: that they can only be suspended if the umpires eject them. Perhaps that's wrong or incomplete, but that's all I know.

Which begs the question, Did Lee get ejected?