A little "D" Please?

Pants Rowland

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Mack actually got a really good jump on that ball, I don't think Brian would have got to it either.

As far as leaving Neal in too long, I disagree. I usually don't agree with what Ozzie does with the pen but Neal is our best reliever and can get lefties and righties out, the 8th should be his imo, lefty or righty. He just completely imploded after the error, that's all on him.

Ozzie wasn't going to let JC get the L, that's how Ozzie manages.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Agreed 100%. BA is better defensively, but seeing how that ball was slicing in that replay, no way BA would had gotten it, he would have just made it a closer play.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
Take another look at that play. Mack underestimated the length of the drive and had to adjust his route to the ball, which prevented him from getting there. Anderson puts it in his hip pocket.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Thinking back on it, I think a good way to put it is: that mack got a good jump put took a bad angle. BA might have got there but who knows.

I am going to go with Brian Anderson making the catch on this one. Mack ran a route that looked like a question mark to get to that ball. He started straight across, came in, and then dashed back. Anderson cuts off the crap of coming in, and I am convinced he makes the catch. First of all Mack was a couple feet from catching the ball after his horrible route, and that isn't factoring in the much greater speed that Anderson possesses vs Mackowiak. I'll even go as far as to say Brian Anderson makes that catch while slowing down.

I was sitting in Section 535 upper deck behind home plate and could see everything. The ball was slicing but Mackowiak took a bad route and looked like he was running in quicksand. I think Anderson would have made the catch.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
I totally agree. Ozzie is all about TEAM. No one player is bigger than the team. So why does Jose's winning streak matter over the teams victory. Ozzie took Jose out because he did not want to put Jose in a position to lose the game. If Jose is the best pitcher and gives him team the best chance to win the game he should be in the game. I am sure Jose would rather finish the inning in that situation.

Being his first start off the DL doesn't mean much to you does it? Contreras was right around 100 pitches, and that's always been about the magic number for Ozzie to pull a starter, if things were starting to get rough. I'd rather Contreras be healthy and not prevent any occurrence of injury in that first start, so he can help the TEAM for the rest of the season.

Cotts wasn't good, but he did get Walker to hit into a DP until Uribe threw it away. That would have given the Sox at least a 2 run lead going into the ninth. I can't fault Ozzie for bring in Cotts. Contreras hadn't pitched in a while, and while the 2 hits he gave up in the 8th weren't exactly rockets, there's no telling what was coming. Ozzie should have put BA in though as Mack probably wasn't going to bat again, especially if the Sox didn't hit in the 9th. I still have doubts whether BA would have caught Barrett's triple. Maybe if he took the perfect route and got a great jump, but even Willie Mays didn't do that every single time. Its tough catching a ball slicing away from you running full speed.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 22, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
Just coming off of the DL does not matter. He had two side sessions during his stint on the DL. The last one he had last Tuesday he threw 98 pitches. Mark had 105 pitches and Freddy had 107 in the past 2 games so yes Ozzie does let his guys go over 100. He does a lot. And I don't think that things were getting rough out there for Jose. An infield single and a bloop hit to right. That is not exactly being roughed up.

Side sessions and games aren't equal. I'm sure Contreras could have continued, but Ozzie decided not to push it. Cotts was fresh, Walker is up, and he gets a DP ball. Inning should be over. The defense was not stellar yesterday.

A sweep would have compansated for the series loss in Tampa Bay. We are now in second place in the division. I know it's only May, but remember that games in the early season count just as much as the games in August and September. Just ask the 2005 Cleveland Indians.

This game stung badly. Hopefully, we can get to Zito tonight and Jon can pitch solidly.

QUOTE(KansasSoxFan @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
Out of curiosity, why didn't Uribe get charged with an error on what should have been the DP ball? It looked to me like he threw the ball away.

You can't assume a double play, an error is never granted if one is commited while turning the second half of a DP>

Mack took a crappy route to the ball I was in RF and saw it clearly...needless to say I was not happy at that moment.

I don't know why Jenks wasn't warming up anyway, he likes going more than 1 inning. I don't mind keeping Cotts in but to give a juicy pitch on 0-2 and then follow it up with a meatball was not earning him any points.

Figures Jones was 1-20 vs. LHPs prior to the HR.