Tony La Russa on Ozzie Smith: 'He's not welcome'

Rare Bird Sighting: Ozzie Smith

By Rick Hummel

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/21/2006

ozzie290newbusch052106.jpg

In the 10 years since his retirement, Ozzie Smith has been only a distant Cardinal, and says he'll remain that way until team management changes.

Smith said he hadn't felt he belonged with the Cardinals since his last year with them coincided with manager Tony La Russa's first year as manager.

"I think everybody knows that I didn't fit in," Smith said. "And when you don't fit in . . . that's one of the reasons why I kind of backed off (of doing on-field work with the Cardinals). I won't do anything as long as the current management is in place."

[More in URL]

Tony La Russa on Ozzie Smith: 'He's not welcome'

By Rick Hummel

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/21/2006

larussastare155.jpg

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, after reading a story in Sunday's Post-Dispatch that, in part, reiterated Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith's disinclination to participate in club-related field activities as long as La Russa was manager, said he had changed his mind about inviting Smith to spring-training camp as an instructor.

La Russa, before reading the text, had said he didn't think they would be going to dinner, given their past differences, but that Smith could be helpful if he wanted to join the other Hall of Famers who generally go to Jupiter, Fla., in the spring. Upon further review, there was a stark reversal of field Sunday by La Russa, who was not proffering an olive branch.

"Speaking personally, I don't think he would be good for our ballclub," said La Russa, who sought out the Post-Dispatch before the game. "For him to repeat those comments is really unreasonable. That invitation is no longer there.

"He's not welcome."

[More in URL]

What a damn joke this is becoming.. the two are acting like little kids.. Really sad.. :rolly

Edited by CardsJimEdmonds15

La Russa ran Ozzie outta town for Royce freaking Clayton, and he continues to be a douche about the whole thing. I'd be pissed too if I was Ozzie to be honest. And before you call me a hypocrite people, if in 10 years Ozzie Guillen says stuff like this about Frank not being welcome I'll rip on his ass too. But it's one thing for an injured Frank to be rut outta here for Thome, but Royce Clayton??

QUOTE(knightni @ May 22, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Ozzie Smith = overrated.

There.

I said it.

Although in general I agree with the statement, he's still a legit HOF player who is getting shafted a decade after retirement by the organization he played for almost his entire career. I mean I know bad feelings happen, but get over it Cards it's been a decade.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 22, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
he's still a legit HOF player

I don't think he IS legit.

He got selected on his ESPN highlights, not his body of work.

Cooperstown is about stats.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't think he IS legit.

He got selected on his ESPN highlights, not his body of work.

Cooperstown is about stats.

What's sad is that Vizquel, who was a better player (in his prime) than Ozzie was, probably won't get in.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 22, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
La Russa ran Ozzie outta town for Royce freaking Clayton, and he continues to be a douche about the whole thing. I'd be pissed too if I was Ozzie to be honest. And before you call me a hypocrite people, if in 10 years Ozzie Guillen says stuff like this about Frank not being welcome I'll rip on his ass too. But it's one thing for an injured Frank to be rut outta here for Thome, but Royce Clayton??

Eh, in 1996, Royce Clayton was a nice up-and-coming 26 year old player, and Ozzie Smith was already 42 years old. If you remember, Royce even made it to the All Star game in 1997.

At the time, there was no way of knowing how Clayton's career would progress post-1996, but inserting him into the starting lineup was a no-brainer.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 22, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Ozzie Smith = overrated.

There.

I said it.

15 All-Star Game appearances, 12 straight gold gloves, etc.

He was arguably the greatest defensive SS in baseball history.

You know that you cherish his Padres Rookie Card. :D

QUOTE(knightni @ May 23, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Gold Gloves and All Star appearances are both popularity contests.

You know that.

That's true, but Ozzie was never an offensive force. He made it to all of those All Star games and won all of those consecutive gold gloves almost entirely on the strength of defensive prowess.

The same applies to Brooks Robinson, who was a career .267 hitter.

I would almost be tempted to put both players on my All-Time team, and get my offense elsewhere, because NOTHING would be getting through on the left side of the infield.

Yeah, I'll take it:

1. Ty Cobb RF

2. Rogers Hornsby 2B

3. Ted Williams LF

4. Babe Ruth DH

5. Lou Gehrig IB

6. Willie Mays CF

7. Johnny Bench C

8. Brooks Robinson 3B

9. Ozzie Smith SS

And Joe Dimaggio was a monster defender in CF, so that's why I have him in the OF instead of guys like Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds.

EDIT: Never mind, Willie Mays is in there over Dimaggio.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
And Joe Dimaggio was a monster defender in CF, so that's why I have him in the OF instead of guys like Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds.

I'd rather have a pre injury Mantle or that Mays guy...he was supposed to be pretty good in the outfield

QUOTE(Nokona @ May 23, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
I'd rather have a pre injury Mantle or that Mays guy...he was supposed to be pretty good in the outfield

Haha, yeah. Mays f***ing owns him, obviously. Just a brain cramp on my part. :bang

A while back, there was an article in Baseball Digest about Dimaggio's ability to read the ball off of the bat, and it basically said that he was/is the best ever. Just a defensive monster.

He also had more HR than strikeouts over the course of his career.

I'd take him over pre-injury Mantle.