NBA Draft Lottery Thread

Aren't Tyrus Thomas and Tyson Chandler similar big men ? Chandler's taller, but I don't see either as offensive weapons, moreso rebounding, and athleticism with the shot blocking, long arms ? I realize that Thomas just breathing makes him a better offensive player (hopefully he can also catch a basketball, unllike Chandler, who bobbles everything), but does this guy have the ability to become a good offensive option ?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ May 24, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Aren't Tyrus Thomas and Tyson Chandler similar big men ? Chandler's taller, but I don't see either as offensive weapons, moreso rebounding, and athleticism with the shot blocking, long arms ? I realize that Thomas just breathing makes him a better offensive player (hopefully he can also catch a basketball, unllike Chandler, who bobbles everything), but does this guy have the ability to become a good offensive option ?

Personally I don't think so, but alot of people will disagree with you. I really don't want Thomas, but from the looks of it, it's either him or Bargnani.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
From everything I hear, Toronto will be going with Aldridge. All their fans think so and Bosh is LA's mentor and has been asking the Raps to draft him since the end of the year. So it comes down to either Thomas or Bargnani. I personally would take Bargnani, but I guess Thomas would be a nice selection. Thing is, if we get Thomas, I would just trade Tyson for an expiring contract because he would be rendered useless.

DO you think that would render Tyson useless, or just his horrible game?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
DO you think that would render Tyson useless, or just his horrible game?

BOTH

Bryan Colangelo held a press conference an hour ago though and now it seems he wants Bargnani and will take him no matter what. 90% of the press conference he talked about him I heard and Raptor fans are kind of saddened because they wanted LA. Bosh will be playing the 5 and it seems like BC is trying to make an exact replica of the PHX Suns offense.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
WHy cant we just package someone and the pick to get KG?

Because the only way we'd do that is giving up both picks, Tyson, and at least 1 other guy to get KG so the contracts will match, and first of all we don't want to give up the 2 picks and maybe somebody like Deng to get KG, and plus NOBODY wants Tyson's horrid contract. I hope I'm wrong and that happens though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
BOTH

Bryan Colangelo held a press conference an hour ago though and now it seems he wants Bargnani and will take him no matter what. 90% of the press conference he talked about him I heard and Raptor fans are kind of saddened because they wanted LA. Bosh will be playing the 5 and it seems like BC is trying to make an exact replica of the PHX Suns offense.

Can we be certain he wasn't trying to talk him up in order to spur trade discussions?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Because the only way we'd do that is giving up both picks, Tyson, and at least 1 other guy to get KG so the contracts will match, and first of all we don't want to give up the 2 picks and maybe somebody like Deng to get KG, and plus NOBODY wants Tyson's horrid contract. I hope I'm wrong and that happens though.

I would give up both picks and Tyson for KG. Unless we have a shot at Oden or Noah next year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)

Bulls are around 19 million under the cap. We don't need to throw in players to match salaries.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Bulls are around 19 million under the cap. We don't need to throw in players to match salaries.

That's a higher number than I've heard. Are we sure what the cap is yet? Also, Garnett does make somewhere in the $18 million range.

Wow, I think you're actually right, depending on the final cap number.

I haven't done a Mock Draft since probably 7th grade, but ESPN's Draft Machine made it so easy that I did one. I will try my best to give reasons if anyone asks a question about a pick, but it was really just a "gut" thing with my picks. Anyway, here it is:

1. Toronto- Andrea Bargnani - SF/PF - Italy

2. Chi- LaMarcus Aldridge - C - Texas

3. Charlotte- Brandon Roy - SG - Washington

4. Portland- Adam Morrison - SF - Gonzaga

5. Atl- Tyrus Thomas - PF - LSU

6. Minny- Randy Foye - SG - Villanova

7. Boston- Marcus Williams - PG - UConn

8. Houston- Rudy Gay - SF - UConn

9. Golden St.- Rodney Carney - SF - Memphis

10. Seattle- Ronnie Brewer - SG/SF - Arkansas

11. Orlando- Rajon Rondo - PG - Kentucky

12. NO/Ok. City- Shelden Williams - PF - Duke

13. Philly- Tiago Splitter - PF - Brazil

14. Utah- J.J. Redick - SG - Duke

15. NO/Ok. City- Patrick O'Bryant - C - Bradley

16. Chi- Mardy Collins - PG/SG - Temple

17. Ind- Kyle Lowry - PG - Villanova

18. Washington- Cedric Simmons - PF - NC State

19. Sacramento- Hilton Armstrong - PF/C - UConn

20. NY- Shawne Williams - SF/PF - Memphis

21. Phoenix- Marcus Vinicius - SF - Brazil

22. NJ- Jordan Farmar - PG - UCLA

23. NJ- Mouhamed Saer Sene - C - Senegal

24. Mem- Alexander Johnson - PF - Fla St.

25. Cleveland- Aaron Gray - C - Pitt

26. LAL- Daniel Gibson - PG - Texas

27. Phoenix- Shannon Brown - SG - Mich St.

28. Dallas- Maurice Ager - SG - Mich St.

29. NY- Quincy Douby - SG - Rutgers

30. Portland- James Augustine - PF - Illinois

On your mock dasox24;

Why would the Magic take Rondo when they already have 3 PG's in Nelson, Dooling and Arroyo?

Boston with Williams when they already have Delonte West (even though he's more of a combo guard)

Seattle with Brewer when they have Lewis and Allen at the swingman positions?

When it's all said and done, I think we're going to take Redick. We need a 3 point bomber, and Twardiz the Assistant GM can't stop gushing over him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)
On your mock dasox24;

Why would the Magic take Rondo when they already have 3 PG's in Nelson, Dooling and Arroyo?

Boston with Williams when they already have Delonte West (even though he's more of a combo guard)

Seattle with Brewer when they have Lewis and Allen at the swingman positions?

When it's all said and done, I think we're going to take Redick. We need a 3 point bomber, and Twardiz the Assistant GM can't stop gushing over him.

Well, Allen is getting older and Lewis, unless I'm thinking of a different player, is unhappy and wants out. That's why I thought the Sonics might take Brewer.

As for Orlando, I don't know too much about the team, truthfully. You'd know plenty more considering they're "your" team. I knew they had Nelson, but not the other two, which would change their focus to maybe a SG or C, I guess.

And Boston would take Williams b/c they need a true PG, and as you said yourself, West is more of a combo guard, who would be a very solid 3rd guard for the Celtics, unless the rid themselves of Pierce, which would allow West to be the starting 2-guard. They could go for a big man as well. They really have a few needs to fill.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
Well, Allen is getting older and Lewis, unless I'm thinking of a different player, is unhappy and wants out. That's why I thought the Sonics might take Brewer.

As for Orlando, I don't know too much about the team, truthfully. You'd know plenty more considering they're "your" team. I knew they had Nelson, but not the other two, which would change their focus to maybe a SG or C, I guess.

And Boston would take Williams b/c they need a true PG, and as you said yourself, West is more of a combo guard, who would be a very solid 3rd guard for the Celtics, unless the rid themselves of Pierce, which would allow West to be the starting 2-guard. They could go for a big man as well. They really have a few needs to fill.

Personally I think the Sonics are pretty loaded at the SG and SF, they've got Damien Wilkins as well. Chris Wilcox came in and had a big impact, but he could leave as a FA. A guy like Cedric Simmons could work for them.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Brewer or Redick for us. I still have a pipedream that Roy will somehow fall to us, but that's extremely unlikely. On Rondo, I've heard his jumpshot ain't very good and he could go anywhere from 15 to the 2nd round.

The Celts are in an interesting position. They've got Pierce and Wally, so they don't really need a swingman. But if they draft Williams, what would happen with West, in terms of one would have to go to the bench. Maybe they should trade the pick for some veteran help, otherwise they may lose Pierce if they don't get better soon.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)

Hmm I didn't think of it that way, good point. Although if we made a trade and took on Garnett's deal without dumping much, that kills our chances to get a FA like Harrington or Pryzbilla or Mohammed.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 24, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Personally I think the Sonics are pretty loaded at the SG and SF, they've got Damien Wilkins as well. Chris Wilcox came in and had a big impact, but he could leave as a FA. A guy like Cedric Simmons could work for them.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Brewer or Redick for us. I still have a pipedream that Roy will somehow fall to us, but that's extremely unlikely. On Rondo, I've heard his jumpshot ain't very good and he could go anywhere from 15 to the 2nd round.

The Celts are in an interesting position. They've got Pierce and Wally, so they don't really need a swingman. But if they draft Williams, what would happen with West, in terms of one would have to go to the bench. Maybe they should trade the pick for some veteran help, otherwise they may lose Pierce if they don't get better soon.

All true, good post. As for Rondo, that guy couldn't hit a b**** from 6 inches away if he were Rick James. If taken in the first round, he'd be the worst guard in terms of shooting ability I've ever seen taken in the 1st round. However he does run the point well, is a great athlete, gets a lot of rebounds, and can defend, which are all pluses. But I still don't like 6'2 guards that have NO shot.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:17 AM)
Hmm I didn't think of it that way, good point. Although if we made a trade and took on Garnett's deal without dumping much, that kills our chances to get a FA like Harrington or Pryzbilla or Mohammed.

All true, good post. As for Rondo, that guy couldn't hit a b**** from 6 inches away if he were Rick James. If taken in the first round, he'd be the worst guard in terms of shooting ability I've ever seen taken in the 1st round. However he does run the point well, is a great athlete, gets a lot of rebounds, and can defend, which are all pluses. But I still don't like 6'2 guards that have NO shot.

If this is true (I have no idea b/c I don't know much about Rondo), then it would seem like he'd be a great fit in the triangle offense for the Lakers. They could use a PG who can do all that stuff you mentioned, while also not having to score much.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
If this is true (I have no idea b/c I don't know much about Rondo), then it would seem like he'd be a great fit in the triangle offense for the Lakers. They could use a PG who can do all that stuff you mentioned, while also not having to score much.

Phil Jackson likes his PG's to be quite big though, so I don't know if Rondo would fit there since he's only 6'2.

I think they're goin to end up trading for Carlos Boozer sometime as well.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)

I don't really see not being able to sign those FA as that big of a loss. Pryzbilla and Mohammed are going to get seriously overpaid, and while Harrington is decent, he probably will too.

Actually, Rondo has some competition for worst shooter to go in the first round this year. Rondo, Brewer, and Collins all are brutal jumpshooters. I think they should have a 3-point shootout to determine that title. I bet 8 would be a winning score.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
As for Rondo, that guy couldn't hit a b**** from 6 inches away if he were Rick James. If taken in the first round, he'd be the worst guard in terms of shooting ability I've ever seen taken in the 1st round. However he does run the point well, is a great athlete, gets a lot of rebounds, and can defend, which are all pluses. But I still don't like 6'2 guards that have NO shot.

A point guard is not always relied upon to score. Rondo is a pure leader and arguablly the best defensive player in this draft. I would not mind ther Bulls snagging him at all for a backup guard with their 2nd 1st round pick, but I very highly doubt that he'll be there. ESPN has him ranked way too low.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
A point guard is not always relied upon to score. Rondo is a pure leader and arguablly the best defensive player in this draft. I would not mind ther Bulls snagging him at all for a backup guard with their 2nd 1st round pick, but I very highly doubt that he'll be there. ESPN has him ranked way too low.

I can't stand professional basketball players not having a jump shot...