NBA Draft Lottery Thread

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
Hahahahaha.

Nothing like loving an unloveable player, yet hating on the workmanlike leadership of Kirk Hinrich. Laughable I tell ya.

If I love Artest then obviously he isnt unloveable

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soxtalk's Bulls fans will be happy with this news;

IS BEN GONE IN CHI-TOWN?:There continues to be speculation that the Bulls may pull a fast one on draft night and grab Brandon Roy, the 6’5 scoring guard from Washington State, and ultimately trade Ben Gordon for the big body they are supposedly seeking in the draft. One league source speculates that if the Knicks were to offer Channing Fry for Gordon that might be enough to make a deal. When Bulls sources were pressed on this idea, they said simply that the Bulls had not settled in on anyone, but there have been a ton of things floated by management, and trading Ben Gordon has only been the idea that’s made it out of the building, the other ideas, which include drafting Tyrus Thomas number two, don’t seem to be as sexy. The common thought among league sources on why the Bulls would entertain parting with their most popular player in Gordon, is that he and Scott Skiles don’t seem to be on the same page, and that there is growing concern that Ben wants to start at point guard, a position owned wholeheartedly by Kirk Hinrich. With Ben’s every growing stature in the NBA, its seems like it is only a matter of time before Chicago is “forced” to make a move involving Ben, and it seems the situation may get an answer on draft day.

What teams want for their picks;

THE SHOPPING LIST: Sure the #1 pick is for sale… so is the number 5, the number 6, the number 11, the number 16 and the number 20... The difference about the #1, is its pretty clear what the Raptors want for it… two for one – all of the discussions so far in the press has simply been Toronto providing a shopping list, and the deal the Raptors seem to like the most is trading the #1 to Portland for Jarrett Jack and the #4 – it helps that Portland has to pull the trigger on one of their guards this summer, and while Jack is by far the most popular – he is the easiest to move. Steve Blake is the best point guard on the roster, and Sebastian Telfair is the future (or so we’re told) – moving Jack is not hard math; just maybe not the smartest move. If the Raptors are able to return a point guard in trade, draft something of value in the top five, and sign and trade Mike James for the “banger” in the paint Chris Bosh is seeking, it’s a great summer for the Raptors. The problem becomes will anyone help Toronto, and what else will the Raptors have to give up to make a deal happen – a well placed Blazers source says, the Blazers are locked down like Fort Knox and that anything we’re hearing that is supposedly coming from inside PDX, is likely speculation not facts, as there is little real information being shared, not even internally – so while Toronto continues to paper the league with their wish lists, at this point it seems that Toronto may have no choice but to pick #1, even thought their asking price doesn’t seem to crazy.

Grant Hill and Arroyo for Marion perhaps?

MARION TROUBLE:The Suns had an impressive year – no question about that – the oddity is that despite improved numbers, touches and an increased role – Shawn Marion may still be unhappy in Phoenix. An informed source near the Suns says that Shawn has struggled in Phoenix will all of the attention others are getting and seems increasingly more annoyed at the lack of respect he’s getting in Phoenix, and that rumors of Marion being traded are not just rumors, they may be a lot closer to reality than anyone in Phoenix wants to admit. The Suns will be clearing out lockers this week, and it’s believed that Shawn may be pushing for a trade this summer. If Marion indeed wants out of Phoenix, it could make for an interesting summer, as Marion could be the answer for a number of teams, especially in the East – can you say Washington/Philadelphia/Orlando?

And the top 3 at each position for the draft;

The NBA Draft is just 24 days away, and virtually every team in the league will be converging on Orlando next week to take in the NBA’s annual Pre-Draft Camp. While almost no one projected in the top 20 picks will be playing, several teams will be looking to gauge who the top prospects are according to their peers – based on sources near several of the private workouts around the league this months, here are the top three prospects by position:

#1 – Point Guard – Marcus Williams: Despite what seems like a nasty “smear” campaign, more than a handful of NBA scouts have confirmed that Marcus has exceeded expectations in his ability to run a team. His body needs some work, as it seems he’s put on some weight. Marcus’ ability to run the floor, find open players, and hit big shots have him a top virtually every GM’s board. He seems like the top point guard in the class.

#2 – Point Guard – Randy Foye: Randy has done well, he’s been in to see a number of teams in the middle of the lottery and word is he’s played well, not enough to be generating buzz like Marcus, but well enough to keep him at #2 on the boards of most scouts.

#3 – Point Guard – Sergio Rodriguez: Sergio is getting some love, and a cool nickname “Spanish Chocolate” – one scout said he’s a more disciplined version of Jason Williams, another said the nickname does not fit as much as some are making him sound. The one thing that is true among everyone who’s seen him – he’s amazing in the open floor, can spot up for three, and passes like Magic Johnson.

#1 – Two Guard – Brandon Roy: No questions here, he may shock a lot of people and go very high in this draft, his buzz has been outstanding. Word is his shot is really falling nicely – likely top 5 to top 6. There is a bit of oddness going around with Brandon, including a last minute pullout in Charlotte this week, but despite what seems like gamesmanship with his agent, Brandon is still the top guy on the board.

#2 – Two Guard – Mardy Collins: Mardy’s swing play has really impressed – he has also been the victim of some bad press, but ultimately he’s held his own in workouts, and most seem him as a high 1st rounder (lottery). The question becomes will guys like JJ Redick or Ronnie Brewer unseat him.

#3 – Two Guard – JJ Redick: There are a lot of questions about JJ as a pro, and that’s going to be an uphill battle for him, especially as guys like Mardy Collins continue to workout well. For JJ the good news is he has lots of fans, one rumor is Jazz owner Larry Miller is in love with JJ’s game, however Jazz officials deny that. JJ is gonna get a lot of looks, but until he blows out some people in workouts, he’s number three on most boards, there are two scouts that had him at number 5.

#1 – Small Forward – Adam Morrison: Adam’s agent is doing his very best to dispel the myth that Adam’s diabetes is going to be a problem. No one questions Adam’s game, but there are longevity questions, which could ultimately see Adam falling out of the top 5 – he is expected to being workouts soon, and at that point its salesmanship to see if Adam can be unseated as the “smart” pick.

#2 – Small Forward – Rudy Gay: Rudy is still the guy every GM wants to get a long look at, his upside is amazing, and while he took a bit of a hit, so far he’s shown the same skills and upside for those that have seen him- he has The Blazers and Timberwolves on his schedule after the Orlando camp, so his stock is far from set.

#3 – Small Forward - Rodney Carney: Rodney is getting a lot of hype because of his relationship with Tracy McGrady, he shows a lot of Tracy-like attributes and it seems for now he may be the third best SF type, but it does not seem like he’ll hold that title long.

#1 – Power Forward – Andrea Bargnani: Andrea is the top pick, if Toronto holds on to it. His outside game is not as polished as Dirk Nowitzki, although he’s been saddled with that comparison. He has had a great year in Europe but has not worked out for anyone yet – League sources say the top spot is Andrea’s to lose.

#2 – Power Forward – LaMarcus Aldridge: LaMarcus has also not worked out for anyone yet, he is a hype guy, but in the coming weeks, he’ll have to prove his value. He has the Bobcats on his schedule for tomorrow, so after that workout we’ll see what’s hype and what’s substance?

#3 – Power Forward – Tyrus Thomas: Tyrus is getting some bad advise – his agents are refusing to let him workout for anyone in a competitive situation, and they will not let teams match him head to head with anyone supposedly at his level. It’s a dangerous game – last year Gerald Green tried the same thing and ended up in the twenties.

#1 – Center – Patrick O'Bryant: Patrick has been in to see the Jazz, Sonics, Hornets and Celtics and everyone agrees he may be the best center prospect in the class – not that that is a huge distinction, as no one believes anyone at center is a starter – ever. This may be the class of role player centers, but teams in need of a 5 are looking hard at Patrick.

#2 – Center – Cedric Simmons: Cedric is more likely a four at the NBA level but his game, likely suits him more as a five. He has been in to see a few teams already and buzz on him is growing, enough to insure he’ll stay in the class. Odds are he goes in the twenties.

#3 – Center – Saer Sene: Saer has some serious buzz going. The Jazz asked him to stay over to workout with Karl Malone, and there is talk he could jump to the top of the center spot if he keeps showing what he’s shown the Jazz, Grizz and Sonics.

More buzz;

Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo likes Italian forward Andrea Bargnani, and if they hold onto the top pick it appears likely they will select him. But with the Raptors top two players Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva also natural power forwards, the choice creates a bit of a log jam. The team is also very fond of point guard Marcus Williams. If the right deal comes along to add another talented player to the mix, look for the Raptors to deal the pick and move down a few spots. It's possible the Raptors could add value and move down to 4 and still get their man (Bargnani).

Colangelo could even look to pull a Bill Walsh and trade down multiple times. He could roll the dice and trade down to 4 hoping to grab Bargnani. If Bargnani isn't there he could trade down again to the 7-8 range targeting Marcus Williams or Brandon Roy. But the value of first rounders is severely decreased with lottery protections, which are the type of picks teams will likely be willing to give up, making getting value for the pick more difficult.

There's a good chance the Portland Trailblazers or another team will trade up to the number one spot and select Adam Morrison. Sitting at the 4th position, Portland fears another team will make a move with a top 3 team (Charlotte perhaps) to grab Morrison in front of them. Portland could offer Jarrett Jack and an additional first rounder to move up.

Charlotte, who could take Morrison themselves but prefers Rudy Gay is one team looking to trade down if the right deal presents itself. Just like Houston, Charlotte would trade their pick if the right deal for a veteran 2-guard were to present itself.

Atlanta is another team looking to move into the top position. They would like to add a bigman, but sitting at 5, one of the bigmen, possibly Lamarcus Aldridge could slip to them. Atlanta could also target Shelden Williams by moving down a few spots. Williams has impressed in workouts and will likely land in the 7-11 range. The Hawks could look to add a point guard such as Dooling or Arroyo and/or picks by trading down and pick up WIlliams a few spots down from where they currently select at 5.

Seattle could be another option to move up to 5 as they reportedly love local kid Brandon Roy, and they know they will have to trade up to get him. The Hawks would love to pry Luke Ridnour away from Seattle, but it's unlikely they would include him in this type of deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 05:26 AM)
IS BEN GONE IN CHI-TOWN?:There continues to be speculation that the Bulls may pull a fast one on draft night and grab Brandon Roy, the 6’5 scoring guard from Washington State, and ultimately trade Ben Gordon for the big body they are supposedly seeking in the draft. One league source speculates that if the Knicks were to offer Channing Fry for Gordon that might be enough to make a deal.

Are you effin' kidding me? Draft Roy AND get Channing Frye while dumping Gordon? GET IT DONE PAX!!!

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:55 AM)
If I love Artest then obviously he isnt unloveable

No, but most people dont love a player who has been known to rough up fans, be suspended for a year, and basically be one of the most hated players in the NBA.

http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/output/jack...-spt-jax04.html

Nazr Mohammed reportedly has turned down a four-year contract extension from the San Antonio Spurs and appears ready to leave the team via free agency. There's a strong possibility Mohammed, a 6-10 center, will end up with the Bulls.

Sign Nazr, trade Ben for Frye, draft Roy, then at #16 (if you keep that pick somehow), take a talent value pick like perhaps Shawne Williams of Memphis. I like it.

Weren't they not looking to trade Frye last year?

I know I'll get an "Isiah is dumb" response, and they're supposedly interested in Ben, but what are the chances really?

I would think they'd try to unload The Greatest PG in the World or francis before they try to aquire another guard.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Weren't they not looking to trade Frye last year?

I know I'll get an "Isiah is dumb" response, and they're supposedly interested in Ben, but what are the chances really?

I would think they'd try to unload The Greatest PG in the World or francis before they try to aquire another guard.

That makes a lot of sense, but as you said, Isaiah has proven that he is not the sharpest GM. It would be amazingly dumb to trade Frye for another SG-in-a-PG's-body, but who would have thought that he'd already have 5 highly paid shoot-first guards players on the roster?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
That makes a lot of sense, but as you said, Isaiah has proven that he is not the sharpest GM. It would be amazingly dumb to trade Frye for another SG-in-a-PG's-body, but who would have thought that he'd already have 5 highly paid shoot-first guards players on the roster?

Does anybody remember rumors of him getting offers for Frye but frye being basically untouchable? Trying to remember but maybe my mind is failing me...

But yeah, it would be awesome if he trotted out an all-SG lineup...Maybe he doesn't like anybody being too much taller than him?? Anything to keep me fantasizing about Oden...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Does anybody remember rumors of him getting offers for Frye but frye being basically untouchable? Trying to remember but maybe my mind is failing me...

But yeah, it would be awesome if he trotted out an all-SG lineup...Maybe he doesn't like anybody being too much taller than him?? Anything to keep me fantasizing about Oden...

Yeah, I've seen things like that, but who knows what will happen when Isaiah gets a hard-on for a player, even if he doesn't fit the team whatsoever.

Grant Hill's huge salary will be coming off the books after next year, so he will be a very valuable trading asset. That trade seems to be fair on both sides, as long as Grant can give the Suns around 20-30 games next season, and Arroyo would be a solid back-up for those rare minutes that Nash is out. With Brian Grant's contract coming off the books this year, the Suns could still add another part to the team, possibly another big man.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
Grant Hill's huge salary will be coming off the books after next year, so he will be a very valuable trading asset. That trade seems to be fair on both sides, as long as Grant can give the Suns around 20-30 games next season, and Arroyo would be a solid back-up for those rare minutes that Nash is out. With Brian Grant's contract coming off the books this year, the Suns could still add another part to the team, possibly another big man.

Exactly, especially when you consider next off-season there is going to be a MONSTER FA class available. And I'd be willing to be give up that cap space for Marion, because you never know if you're going to end up with someone as good as him in Free Agency.

But I've heard the Suns are going to be all over Guilermo Diaz at #21 if he's available to them, so they probably wouldn't have a huge need for Arroyo.

I like Guillermo's athletic ability, but I see him as a tweener. I can't see him playing PG successfully in the NBA. Rajon Rondo would be a good fit for the Suns with his athletic ability and profinity for the transition game, which he never could get into at UK. Another possible good fit to me would be Will Blalock, and they could even trade down to the very bottom of the 1st and likely pick him up, instead of having to trade up for someone like Rondo.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
I like Guillermo's athletic ability, but I see him as a tweener. I can't see him playing PG successfully in the NBA. Rajon Rondo would be a good fit for the Suns with his athletic ability and profinity for the transition game, which he never could get into at UK. Another possible good fit to me would be Will Blalock, and they could even trade down to the very bottom of the 1st and likely pick him up, instead of having to trade up for someone like Rondo.

Rondo can't shoot, therefore off the bat making him a bat fit for the Suns.

Rondo's shot has been improving, especially in the workouts. Rondo would never be a main option offensive wise, when he would have Bell, Diaw, Thomas, Marion, Stoudemire, etc to give the ball to. His main asset is his speed, driving ability, and defense, which the Suns would covet.

Please oh please let Rudy fall to #8;

The Orlando Magic seem intent on trying to move up, and word is they may have a partner in the Houston Rockets. According to a Magic source, the club may make a draft day deal if their man falls to the Rockets at #8, their man would be Rudy Gay – its believed the Rockets would draft Gay, and trade him to Orlando after the Magic nab the Rockets’ man, who may be Alexander Johnson – not Shelden Williams as some are projecting. A lot depends on what 8 players fall in which order, but Magic sources say at this point they are not in love with anyone they have worked out. It’s believed if the Magic can not get Rudy – he goes early – they would settle in on Shelden Williams and try to trade him later in the day. Informed league sources confirmed that the Magic were still looking, even after seeing several of the players projected in their range. One of the Magic assistant coaches said during the Orlando Pre-Draft camp in Orlando that they still had homework to do. The Rockets will resume working out players this week, and are expected to see several big men.

I don't know if Minny will let him slip by if he's available at #6 though. Looks like he ain't gonna crack the top 5 in any case.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 09:07 PM)
Apparently Houston want to trade up for the #2 or #4 pick now. They're going to offer Howard or Swift to do so, and try to get Brandon Roy or Tyrus Thomas.

Yeah good luck with that one..

What is it looking like for us to get Rudy DBAHO?.. Prolly not as good if Houston is tryin to move up

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Yeah good luck with that one..

What is it looking like for us to get Rudy DBAHO?.. Prolly not as good if Houston is tryin to move up

I'm worried Charlotte is going to nab Rudy at #3. Hoping they go with Morrison, but it's 50-50 at this point.

I'd offer Dooling and a 2nd rounder, to move up to #5 or #6 to nab Rudy. Apparently Atlanta has an agreement to take Shelden Williams, so the T-Wolves could be our team to trade with, and they'll need a PG since Marcus Banks is going to the Lakers this off-season.