NBA Draft Lottery Thread

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
And really he could be another Pau Gasol when ya think about it.

Hell, he has the potential to be the next Dirk Nowitzki with better defense. The only true knock on him is that he's not very strong (might be alittle more of a weak rebonder than Dirk) and that he plays in Italy (still new to the game and European players can be really solid or really awful so it's a major risk.)

I'll take a Pau Gasol game from him any friggin day of the week.

EDIT: I hate using the word potential. It's really an ugly word.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is there's always a risk of when you draft an European, he may not come over. By all reports before the draft, Fran Vazquez was going to come over, and so did Otis Smith and the other co - GM (Dave something). But then Vazquez decided to sign a 4 year deal to stay in Spain. So teams are probably going to be more wary about drafting overseas players now after that fiasco, and that could cause a guy like Bargnani to slip, if there's any question about his buyout situation etc.

But be afraid Pat Williams is here (and this on Vazquez) :D;

"I thought I was in great shape about mid-February, but then Brian Hill and his boys left me in the dust," joked senior vice president Pat Williams, who will represent the Magic at the lottery for the ninth time. "But now I have my work cut out for me."

Fellow NBA executives have grown to fear the sight of Williams in Secaucus, N.J., home of NBA Entertainment and the lottery.

He's gone there four times and come out with the top overall pick -- in 1986 with the Philadelphia 76ers and in 1992, '93 and 2004 with the Magic.

Magic general manager Otis Smith said the team has remained in contact with Vazquez, scouting him throughout the past season in Europe. He said he thinks Vazquez will play for the Magic in 2007-08.

"I think the possibility is a lot greater after next season, but we still consider him an asset for us," Smith said. "Coming over here is something him and his fiancée/wife have to get comfortable with. Hopefully in another year he'll be in a better position to get his arms around who he is as a person and a player."

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
Hell, he has the potential to be the next Dirk Nowitzki with better defense. The only true knock on him is that he's not very strong (might be alittle more of a weak rebonder than Dirk) and that he plays in Italy (still new to the game and European players can be really solid or really awful so it's a major risk.)

I'll take a Pau Gasol game from him any friggin day of the week.

EDIT: I hate using the word potential. It's really an ugly word.

The other problem is his really a tweener right now as well. He's not strong enough and doesn't have the post game to be a PF, and his quickness and ball-handling skills are probably an issue at SF. Wherever he is, he's going to be a defensive liability for at least 2 years. Plus ESPN's profile compares him to Troy Murphy right now, which is a little scary. While he puts up good numbers, Troy is a suspect defender with a low shooting percentage that really isn't as strong a rebounder as his numbers would indicate.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
The other problem is his really a tweener right now as well. He's not strong enough and doesn't have the post game to be a PF, and his quickness and ball-handling skills are probably an issue at SF. Wherever he is, he's going to be a defensive liability for at least 2 years. Plus ESPN's profile compares him to Troy Murphy right now, which is a little scary. While he puts up good numbers, Troy is a suspect defender with a low shooting percentage that really isn't as strong a rebounder as his numbers would indicate.

I rather go off of draftexpress and nbadraft.net. ESPN just puts together some mumbo jumbo. I don't think he'll be a tweener at all either. He'll definately be a PF in the league.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 23, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
I rather go off of draftexpress and nbadraft.net. ESPN just puts together some mumbo jumbo. I don't think he'll be a tweener at all either. He'll definately be a PF in the league.

I don't like draft express because they make everyone sound like the second coming of some great player. You'd think that everyone is a future All-star reading their profiles. They also seem to think that everyone can play other positions when they really can't.

Eventually he'll be a power forward, but that's not really the case right now. Even draft express says that he doesn't have an NBA position right now, could struggle defensively, and that he's never going to be a real banger in the post. If he can't defend in the post, then that's definitely an issue down the line.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't like draft express because they make everyone sound like the second coming of some great player. You'd think that everyone is a future All-star reading their profiles. They also seem to think that everyone can play other positions when they really can't.

Eventually he'll be a power forward, but that's not really the case right now. Even draft express says that he doesn't have an NBA position right now, could struggle defensively, and that he's never going to be a real banger in the post. If he can't defend in the post, then that's definitely an issue down the line.

He could defend in the post as much as Tyson if not more. The guy is unreal when it comes to blocks and when he's not shooting well, he finds ways to get to the line. 2nd coming of Dirk is appropriate.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 23, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
He could defend in the post as much as Tyson if not more. The guy is unreal when it comes to blocks and when he's not shooting well, he finds ways to get to the line. 2nd coming of Dirk is appropriate.

I seriously doubt that he's going to be a big time post defender. The Dirk comparison I could see once he develops though. He can shoot, he's pretty mobile, and he's a good ball-handler for his size. However, unless he adds like 35 pounds he's going to be a defensive liability just like Dirk has been for a good chunk of his career, and he's probably going to be a decent rebounder at best. I don't see him being a major factor his first two years because of his bulk issues and the drastic increase in quality of competition.

I find it funny that we're arguing about a player that I highly doubt either of us has seen in action though.

Yes the Bulls get the Knicks pick if it's a better pick next year no matter what pretty much. If it's the #1 pick, hooray Greg Oden but even if it's a senario where the Bulls get like the #8 pick instead of the #18 pick or something, it will really help in a draft as deep as next year's will be.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
I find it funny that we're arguing about a player that I highly doubt either of us has seen in action though.

I was thinking the same thing.

I've not seen more than a few highlights so I tend to stay out of "potential" discussions.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
I was thinking the same thing.

I've not seen more than a few highlights so I tend to stay out of "potential" discussions.

Well, I'm trying to go on what the general consensus is. Everything I've read seems to say what I said earlier. I'm just throwing that out there.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
anybody find any other mock drafts or projections??

I'd assume that you'll see them all over the place starting tomorrow now that the draft order is about to be determined. If you can't wait that long, nbadraft.net has one up.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
I'd assume that you'll see them all over the place starting tomorrow now that the draft order is about to be determined. If you can't wait that long, nbadraft.net has one up.

thanks... I like to take a look at various projections. nbadraft.net and espn seem to differ with several different players. Rajon Rondo is one player that I am trying to keep an eye on as pre-draft camps start up..... he'd be a solid pick for the Bulls 2nd 1st round pick, though I doubt he will be there. ESPN has him going as high as #7 to Boston, nbadraft.net has him going #26 to the Lakers. The kid plays outstanding D.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 23, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
thanks... I like to take a look at various projections. nbadraft.net and espn seem to differ with several different players. Rajon Rondo is one player that I am trying to keep an eye on as pre-draft camps start up..... he'd be a solid pick for the Bulls 2nd 1st round pick, though I doubt he will be there. ESPN has him going as high as #7 to Boston, nbadraft.net has him going #26 to the Lakers. The kid plays outstanding D.

I'm personally not a huge fan. He's a good athlete and a strong defender, but he's a brutal shooter and his ballhandling/passing skills are often a bit suspect. I'd also be worried that when he's not significantly more athletic everyone else that he won't have much of an impact. He'd be an okay fit for some teams, but he'd probably be stuck behind Duhon for the Bulls. I'd imagine he'll go somewhere in the mid-first round, maybe sneaking into the back end of the lottery depending where the teams that need a PG are picking.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 22, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
For the learning curve, Bargnani would be the Bulls' best bet IMO.

I dont know where you get the impression the bulls want a learning curve type player. Paxson has been quoted several times that he is seeking a rotation player.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 23, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
If Toronto takes Tyrus, great news. If Toronto takes Aldridge, HORRIBLE news. Pretty much comes down to that, I don't want Stromile Swift part 2 (right down to the same school) on the Bulls, however I really like Aldridge.

If they take Aldridge, Brandon Roy please.