NBA Draft Lottery Thread

Some news from Hoopsworld;

With the draft lottery settled, now the dealing can begin. Several teams have made it clear their pick is for sale and it starts with the Toronto Raptors and the number one overall pick. Word is Toronto is open to trading the top pick and Morris Peterson, for the right package of veterans. Apparently there has been considerable discussions on how to get top quality veterans to Toronto and the answer seems to be trade for them. The top pick is available, but it seems almost every year the pick is said to be available, but rarely gets traded. If the Raptors hang on to the pick, they are being urged towards Andrea Bargnani or Adam Morrison. The Chicago Bulls are likely keeping the number 2 pick, and making LaMarcus Aldridge the number two selection, they too will strongly consider Bargnani – but informed Bulls sources say if LaMarcus is there, he is a Bull. The Charlotte Bobcats have put the “For Sale” sign out on the number 3 pick, and may find some takers. It seems the Cats are more interested in a proven veteran than another highly touted rookie. If the Cats keep the pick - Adam Morrison is likely their guy. Portland is likely heading towards Tyrus Thomas, if Adam Morrison is off the board.. Given the slide down to the fourth spot the Blazers received in lottery luck, they are now looking at Morrison, Thomas and Randy Foye. Minnesota has made it clear they are willing to trade their draft pick at the number 6 spot, and there is word that several teams are looking at that pick as a place to nab a quality prospect like Rudy Gay, Tyrus Thomas or even Randy Foye.

TOP OF THE CLASS

The NBA draft is roughly 30 days away and teams have started working out players, and the top of the class has settled in, while the exact order will be determined by the teams on draft day, here are the top 10 players according to an informal survey of several team and scouting sources:

Adam Morrison

Tyrus Thomas

LaMarcus Aldridge

Randy Foye

Rudy Gay

Marcus Williams

Brandon Roy

Rodney Carney

Ronnie Brewer

Patrick O'Bryant

There are some notable guys climbing and falling – Guillermo Diaz supposedly blew the Suns away in a recent workout jumping an amazing 12 feet, and measured a one step vertical over 48 inches. He rained the three-ball without much effort and has likely secured himself in the 1st round – if he’s there at 21, he’s a Sun. The question is will upcoming workouts with the Kings and Lakers improve his stock… Mardy Collins supposedly couldn’t hit water falling out of a boat in Utah, sources who saw the workout say he was very tense and out of character so this may just be a bad workout, but the word is his shot is weak and that may have him sliding significantly… Alexander Johnson seems like a lock for New Jersey in the twenties, while he has not officially hired an agent yet, he has taken part in a handful of workouts, and supposedly the Nets were more than impressed, one scout said that “AJ” is as NBA ready as anyone they have seen recently and he seems to be on the rise… JJ Redick is taking a beating among scouts, who openly question his ability to get his own shot at the NBA level. JJ seems to be a “love him or hate” player, a similar assessment was made of Jameer Nelson two seasons ago, and he fell into the twenties… Rajon Rondo is hot, according to a couple of NBA scouts he is climbing and could be the third or fourth point guard taken, likely landing him in the low teens, he is said to be behind Randy Foye and Marcus Williams, who will likely be the first two point guards taken.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
On your mock dasox24;

Why would the Magic take Rondo when they already have 3 PG's in Nelson, Dooling and Arroyo?

Boston with Williams when they already have Delonte West (even though he's more of a combo guard)

Seattle with Brewer when they have Lewis and Allen at the swingman positions?

When it's all said and done, I think we're going to take Redick. We need a 3 point bomber, and Twardiz the Assistant GM can't stop gushing over him.

Oh god we better not take Redick

I'm hoping the Bulls take Ager with that 2nd 1st rounder. He is a legit 6'4 or 6'5 with a huge wingspan, is a world class athlete, can shoot from the perimeter, and plays pretty solid defense. He's somebody that could potentially develop into a Vince Carter type player, and is a legit 2 that can play as a rookie and play significant minutes IMO.

QUOTE(T R U @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Oh god we better not take Redick

I'd actually like Patrick O' Bryant, he could really be something 3 years down the track.

But it's prob either gonna come down to either Redick or Brewer, especially if Stevenson leaves.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 27, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
I'm hoping the Bulls take Ager with that 2nd 1st rounder. He is a legit 6'4 or 6'5 with a huge wingspan, is a world class athlete, can shoot from the perimeter, and plays pretty solid defense. He's somebody that could potentially develop into a Vince Carter type player, and is a legit 2 that can play as a rookie and play significant minutes IMO.

If we got Aldridge-Ager in the draft, I'll be "hella" happy. (Had to take Cartman's word)

Hell even Aldridge/Thomas-Ager/Brewer (if he slips)/S. Williams and I'd be fine with it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 27, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
I'd actually like Patrick O' Bryant, he could really be something 3 years down the track.

But it's prob either gonna come down to either Redick or Brewer, especially if Stevenson leaves.

Whoever gets POB is going to be very happy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 28, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Whoever gets POB is going to be very happy.

He'd make perfect sense for the Hornets at #12. If we didn't have Milicic, I'd want Orlando to be all over him at #11. Even a team like Golden State could definitely use a big like him, if they're patient, which they're probably not.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
I'd gladly trade the 2 picks and Tyson for KG

Yep I'm sure Minnesota is just beating down Pax's door for that one

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 28, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
keep in mind DBAHO is talking about the Magic, not the Bulls.

As is T R U

Saw this today;

Two weeks ago NBADraft.net reported that Quincy Douby likely had a first round promise from a Midwest team. According to contacts, the rumored Midwest team with a promise to Douby is the Chicago Bulls. Chicago coach Scott Skiles has the same agent as Douby and the Bulls appear intent upon adding Douby to their backcourt of Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Chris Duhon.

After winning the second pick in the draft lottery, the Bulls are assured of nabbing one of the top bigmen in the draft. With LaMarcus Aldridge likely to go first overall, the Bulls will select between Andrea Bargnani and Tyrus Thomas, allowing them to go small with their second pick.

Douby is similar to Gordon in that he is more of a scoring small guard. Should the Bulls end up making a blockbuster deal including Gordon for Kevin Garnett, Douby would be able to give the team a similar type of player.

Just a week after winning the draft lottery, sources indicate that Toronto general manager Brian Colangelo is looking to move the top overall selection to a team in the 5-10 range. Two players that the Raptors will target in that area are UConn PG Marcus Williams and Washington SG Brandon Roy.

With the team's strength in the front court with Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva, a bigman such as Lamarcus Aldridge or Italian Andrea Bargnani make less sense. Also factoring into the equation is the fact that this is not a great draft to have the top overall selection, so a team such as Toronto could add a talented piece (veteran player) through trade and pick up a player in the mid lotto area who could end up just as good as the top pick in the long run.

With a brand new (GM) job in Toronto, Colangelo has the flexibility to make any number of moves, and it looks likely that they will be the first team since the Boston Celtics traded the top overall selection to the Golden State Warriors in 1980.

Lamarcus Aldridge appears to be the strongest candidate to go first for a team that moves into that position.

And TRU, you'll be very interested in this;

The Orlando Magic are trying to move up from No. 11 in the June 28 NBA draft and, according to league sources, have talked to two teams in hopes of improving their chances of landing either Connecticut small forward Rudy Gay or Duke forward/center Shelden Williams.

NBA sources tell the Sentinel that the Magic have had discussions with the Boston Celtics and the Houston Rockets about swapping picks or having those teams pick for them.

The Celtics select at No. 7 and the Rockets No. 8.

The Golden State Warriors pick at No. 9 and the Seattle SuperSonics at No. 10.

Orlando would like to climb as high as No. 6 -- the spot held by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

What players have the Magic targeted from Nos. 7 to 11?

Sources say the club's short list is likely headed by Gay and Williams, followed by, in no specific order, Memphis shooting guard Rodney Carney, Duke shooting guard J.J. Redick and Villanova combo guard Randy Foye.

Orlando is in the market for a shooting guard, small forward and a big man.

The Magic love Washington shooting guard Brandon Roy, but they probably can't climb high enough to snag him. Same might be true with Gay, perhaps forcing the Magic to deal to get in position to take Williams.

Magic General Manager Otis Smith confirmed Tuesday that the club is looking to move up, but, naturally, wouldn't offer specifics.

"I don't know how high we can get, maybe three or four picks ahead," he said. "Anything above that is difficult."

Smith would not say which teams the Magic have contacted but added that moving up would require swapping drafting spots and offering current or future second-round picks and/or a player in a deal.

The Magic have three second-round picks -- Nos. 41, 44 and 50. They have until June 12 to declare whether they will use the No. 50 pick acquired from the Sacramento Kings this year.

Moving up might assure the Magic of getting their man but, Smith said, "I think even if we stay at 11 we can still get one of my guys."

The Magic will get a closer look at these players and others before and after the NBA's pre-draft camp June 6-10 at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Roy, Gay, Carney, Foye, Williams and Redick are among the players scheduled to work out for the Magic.

Others include Arkansas shooting guard Ronnie Brewer, Rutgers point guard Quincy Douby, Arizona shooting guard Hassan Adams, Michigan State shooting guard Maurice Ager, Illinois forward James Augustine, Memphis forward Shawne Williams, Temple point guard Mardy Collins and shooting guard Thabo Sefolosha of France.

If we could move up a couple of spots, even up to #6, by only giving up some 2nd rounders, that's a fantastic move by Otis Smith. I'd love to get Gay. I think talent wise, he's got the most in this draft, but he's got motivational issues as we know. Getting Brian Hill on his ass, and Grant Hill to teach him would be a good start getting around that issue though.

Getting Williams means we would have 4 bigs in Dwight, Darko, Battie and Williams, with Fran Vazquez likely coming over in 07-08. I guess this means we're confident of re-signing DeShawn Stevenson if he opts out of his contract as well. Not the biggest fan of his, but he can play D, and I guess if you're going to have 4 guys who could possibly average over 15+ in your lineup, you need a Bruce Bowen type of grinder in there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
Ugh.....I REALLY like Douby as a player, but the Bulls already have enough undersized 2's, we don't need another one. He's a spectacular shooter though, he'd be an offensive boost at least. *sighs*

Exactly my thoughts, I absolutely love Douby but he's just not a good fit here.

I would love to get Rudy Gay, dunno how I would feel about Sheldon Williams.. but definately would be good to get Rudy

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
TRU hates the Bulls, he feels the players are unlikable.

They are unlikeable, except Deng.. everyone else is a douchebag

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
Did Kirk trip your grandma or somethin'? :(

Nope, I just dont like any of them cept Deng..

I call it the Rockets effect... I HATED the Rockets when they had Olajawon, Drexler, Barkely, Cassell, Horry.. man I hated them so much.. then they all left and I liked em with Francis and Mobley now Tracy and Yao

I loved the Bulls back in the day, now I just dont like any of the players they have

Loved Artest, hes the man.. but they traded him along with every other star they have had in recent years

Edited by T R U

I want Bargnani, though I think he'll go number one. Not sold on Aldrige or TT. Wouldn't be mad about Roy, but don't think he'd be taken at 2 or if Bargnani was still there.

I think there's a real good chance Pax trades the pick though. I also find the second pick interesting though, some guys could be there that could help out.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
I want Bargnani, though I think he'll go number one. Not sold on Aldrige or TT. Wouldn't be mad about Roy, but don't think he'd be taken at 2 or if Bargnani was still there.

I think there's a real good chance Pax trades the pick though. I also find the second pick interesting though, some guys could be there that could help out.

Bargnani has the biggest upside in this draft by far, however taking him would also be a big risk. It will be interesting to see how it goes there.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
I dont know if the Bulls have any more patience for a project, they need players now.

Virtually everyone in this draft is a project to some extent. Ray and Williams are about the only ones that don't need significant improvement in some area, and their ceilings are a bit more limited. Aldridge is about the only other guy that can probably play early, but even he's still going to need to add some weight.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
Loved Artest, hes the man.. but they traded him along with every other star they have had in recent years

Hahahahaha.

Nothing like loving an unloveable player, yet hating on the workmanlike leadership of Kirk Hinrich. Laughable I tell ya.