Frank Thomas first AB

Steve9347

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ May 22, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
Frank's really sending a message to kenny eh???

Please don't.....just no he's not, not at all. But that first AB was pretty cool, especially looking back on it now since we won the game. I must admit also looking back it was the right thing to do giving him the appreciation, glad the crowd (and sell out at that) reacted that way.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 22, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
He got a standing ovation after the HR, you obviously were not watching.

I honestly do not care that he went deep twice tonight, I didn't expect to win this game so watching him hit 2 HRs was enjoyable for me.

eew, not for me.

The way it went overall turned out just about perfect, but if you enjoyed Frank's home runs as they happened, then I think your priorities aren't in order. We are in a pennant race, and we need wins.....Frank be damned. Standing ovation was great, but the home runs he hit were not.

This doesn't need its own thread, but I found this to be cool. It sounds like Frank will be living in Chicago when he retires.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Thomas said he plans to live in Chicago following his playing career. His three children—Sterling Edward, Sloan Alexandra and Sydney Blake—still live here. Thomas recently sold his Lincoln Park townhouse.

"I have a main home in Vegas, so I am probably going to live there for the next few years," he said.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ May 22, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
did they cheer him after the home run?

Yes we did. I was in 159 and it landed just to the left my section. There were a few knobs who yelled "Throw it back" but they were quickly told to sit down and shut up.

I am happy that Frank got the ovation he deserved. He will probably always get a ovation from Sox fans. He will from me anyhow. We won the game and that's what counts.

Edited by whitesox1976

The organization was very classy in putting that video montage on the board when he was about to come up. I think that's one of the reasons why the ovation was so huge. It reminded all the people planning on booing of all that he had done for 16 years. I was screaming my lungs off for him, but very confused as to how I should act when he hit the home run. I initially cheered loudly, but then realized we were now losing the game. I think the boos recieved in the later ABs were acceptable because he's "officially" an Athletic now, and I would boo a player who has a home run or two against us. That being said, I still did a golf clap on all of his at bats.

For those who were at the game, what was with the little kid announcing the players? That sort of ruined his second at bat, and I think some of the people booing were booing because she sucked at announcing. Gene Honda is the man.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
For those who were at the game, what was with the little kid announcing the players? That sort of ruined his second at bat, and I think some of the people booing were booing because she sucked at announcing. Gene Honda is the man.

That's one of the White Sox' USCF "experience" packages. I suppose Honda likes it. He can go get himself a Koser dog an brew that inning.

I do not understand how cheering for a player who is on another team equates to any difference in the chances the White Sox are going to win. If you cheer after he hit the HR, so what, its not like by booing the run does not count.

Frank was the face of the White Sox, the only problem was between Konerko, Thome, and Thomas there are only 2 positions. Frank would not have come back as a bench player and he does not play enough positions to really spend the roster slot on (although Gload isnt doing much either.) Its not like Frank wanted to leave, he wanted to stay.

People do not give this sort of treatment to every White Sox player. But when guys like Baines and Thomas, who grew up with the Sox come back, you just have to show them how much they meant to you. Its just the right thing to do and it has no impact on how the game will be played.

Frank Thomas gave me so many memorable moments, I would think it would be an honor to be able to give him one.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
That's one of the White Sox' USCF "experience" packages. I suppose Honda likes it. He can go get himself a Koser dog an brew that inning.

Speaking of Gene, does anyone know why he just disappeared during Friday's game from about the 5th inning on? That was pretty odd.

Seeing Frank in is first AB back in the cell was a great moment. I was very glad to hear the standing ovation that he recieved. I stood up as soon as I saw the ball leave the bat. I started to clap then stoped for half a second. I then continued. I have been cheering for Frank 3/4 of my life, I was not going to stop now.

Sorry...while I've always appreciated Frank's contributions to the White Sox...the guy just never "won me over" like players such as Dick Allen, Fisk, and even such as guys like AJ and Crede have right now. Not sure what it is...I don't want to come out and say it's his seemingly, "I'm a f***in selfish baby attitude"...because I don't even know him personally. All anybody really knows is what they've read of him in the newspapers and heard on tv...and I've interpreted much of it as being a selfish baby.

Thought there was some interesting things in this little piece:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

A few things in here I found amusing...but the biggest was:

Thomas hugged Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, called Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf a father figure and shook more hands than someone running for office. He spoke of joining the Sox's front office one day and carried a commemorative World Series bottle of champagne into the clubhouse.

I could actually here KW say, "Pffffffffffft...fat f***in chance..." all the way out here in Phoenix. I also like how Frank makes reference of himself growing up. BOUT f***IN TIME FRANK...you're only gonna be 38 sometime this year! So forgive me if I'm not all warm and fuzzy about Frank... thanks for your contributions to the Chicago White Sox Frank...but honestly I don't miss you in the least bit. If I was at the game...*golf claps* is the best you woulda got outta me.

QUOTE(Wanne @ May 23, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
Sorry...while I've always appreciated Frank's contributions to the White Sox...the guy just never "won me over" like players such as Dick Allen, Fisk, and even such as guys like AJ and Crede have right now. Not sure what it is...I don't want to come out and say it's his seemingly, "I'm a f***in selfish baby attitude"...because I don't even know him personally. All anybody really knows is what they've read of him in the newspapers and heard on tv...and I've interpreted much of it as being a selfish baby.

I could actually here KW say, "Pffffffffffft...fat f***in chance..." all the way out here in Phoenix. I also like how Frank makes reference of himself growing up. BOUT f***IN TIME FRANK...you're only gonna be 38 sometime this year! So forgive me if I'm not all warm and fuzzy about Frank... thanks for your contributions to the Chicago White Sox Frank...but honestly I don't miss you in the least bit. If I was at the game...*golf claps* is the best you woulda got outta me.

:rolly

QUOTE(Wanne @ May 23, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)

KW can "pfffttt.. fat chance" all he wants. Kenny eats s*** if the choice is between him and Frank. Jerry will have Frank's back always.

Dick Allen won you over...? :huh: That says a lot.