Dodgers Surging in the West

Heads22

I don't know if anyone cares besides me, my dad, Gage, and his dad, but the Dodgers are playing awesome baseball. Flash would be glad to see prospects actually develop.

They were my preseason pick to win the west. Little has done alright.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 22, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
I'm still not convinced that there is a single team in the entire National League that is anymore than decent. Maybe the Mets, but that is about it. However in 2 years, the Dodgers are going to be a f***ing b**** when their guys develop.

Apparently the combined record of the NL West is better than the record of any other division. Don't quote me on that, but its according to my dad (as of yesterday). I don't think much of the West, but they have been a lot better this year than last.

The Dodgers are a better team (hell they were solid last year, problem was they were/are full of injury prone guys). Giants are improved with Bonds (even if he isn't good anymore) and the Dbacks got better while the Pads stayed about the same.

Don't ask me what the hell the Rocks did (make a deal with the devil???).

You're never as good as you look when you're playing your best, and you're never as bad as you look when you're playing your worst. The Dodgers are getting ridiculous pitching right now and good hitting, and they're catching teams that are falling flat (the Angels for example).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
You're never as good as you look when you're playing your best, and you're never as bad as you look when you're playing your worst. The Dodgers are getting ridiculous pitching right now and good hitting, and they're catching teams that are falling flat (the Angels for example).

Angels aren't falling flat, they are playing about as good as they are (ie s***ty).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2006 -> 05:49 AM)
Angels aren't falling flat, they are playing about as good as they are (ie s***ty).

Yeah.

They're pitching has been a little surprising to me -- I thought Weaver would be a decent bottom of the rotation pitcher (ie ERA between 4.50-5.00), and same for Santana.

The offense, OTOH, has been bad now for the past year or so, and it's not going to get any better. Garrett Anderson just isn't a very good offensive player anymore. They don't have a whole lot of offensive threats -- Vlad (duh), but beyond that, nothing. Rivera has his moments, and Figgins and Kennedy are nice complimentary players, but that offense is not one to be feared.

I know Stoneman has been ripped, but I think he made the right choice in not dealing away guys like Kendrick, Morales, and Wood for someone like Manny. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Anahiem try to get a good prospect or two for Kennedy (among others). I'm sure the Mets would definitely be interested...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Yeah.

They're pitching has been a little surprising to me -- I thought Weaver would be a decent bottom of the rotation pitcher (ie ERA between 4.50-5.00), and same for Santana.

The offense, OTOH, has been bad now for the past year or so, and it's not going to get any better. Garrett Anderson just isn't a very good offensive player anymore. They don't have a whole lot of offensive threats -- Vlad (duh), but beyond that, nothing. Rivera has his moments, and Figgins and Kennedy are nice complimentary players, but that offense is not one to be feared.

I know Stoneman has been ripped, but I think he made the right choice in not dealing away guys like Kendrick, Morales, and Wood for someone like Manny. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Anahiem try to get a good prospect or two for Kennedy (among others). I'm sure the Mets would definitely be interested...

The Angels were dumbs***s for letting there best clutch hitter walk away when they could have just offered him arb and kept him for one more year (he would have stayed). I am referring to Bengie Molina.

We all knew that piece of s*** Jose Molina couldn't hit and when your offense sucked as it was last year, you couldn't afford to lose your best clutch hitter and replace him with his turd of a brother and a prospect like Jeff Mathis, who wasn't prepared to play.

I realize they have an amazing farm system, but not all of those guys will pan out. They have made countless mistakes and they have the money and when you have this type of payroll you need to be competing. They could have easily picked and chose a couple prospects and dealt one or two of there top guys for some bats.

I am surprised the pitching has crumbled to a point. I figured Weaver would be solid for the Angels. I've never been a big Lackey fan, but I did know they could be in trouble with injuries considering Colon had a lot of question marks entering the season (and hasn't pitched in forever now) and Escobar was banged up most of last year.

The pitching was over its head last year, otherwise they would have stunk than too. Quite frankly they aren't a good team and I have been saying this for a little while. Losing Molina, replacing them with his crap brother, all while there pitching suffered some injuries and it spells a bad season. They may just finish last so they betterh ope they can get those guys developed quickly, otherwise they may take a major hit to the season ticket base that they have built up (they need to get things back next year and that may mean acquiring a bat or two this year in preperation for next year).

Had they got Konerko, things may have been a whole lot better. Erstad...Kochman....Kennedy (not that he's bad)...Anderson....Rivera/Salmon....Molina all need to be removed from the starting lineup and replaced with a legit player.

In Kennedy's case, he will be gone because of the dirth of prospects the Angels have in the middle infield. The Angels also need to see if McPherson can stay healthy and turn into a 3rd baseman. Figgins and Vladdy are the only two legit players they have offensively (along with Kennedy). Anderson is a lazy POS in the field and a mediocre hitter thanks to all his injuries.

Erstad is a garbage CF and a mediocre hitter while Kochman needs to be dealt somewhere else (Let Morales play 1st).

Ya, the move that killed that team was Bengie. You don't let a catcher like him walk. Not only is he a great clutch hitter and hell he was just one of their best hitters period last year, but he calls one of the best games in the al and is just a great defensive catcher. The Angels f***ed up badly this offseason and they're paying for it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Ya, the move that killed that team was Bengie. You don't let a catcher like him walk. Not only is he a great clutch hitter and hell he was just one of their best hitters period last year, but he calls one of the best games in the al and is just a great defensive catcher. The Angels f***ed up badly this offseason and they're paying for it.

I don't know if he calls a good game, but as far as the rest of it, I completely agree. Bill Stoneman doesn't have the balls to be a GM. He would make a hell of a player development guy (minor league guru).

He is trying to build the org like Schurholtz (spelling???) of Atlanta. He feels the reason why the Braves have had success all these years is because they haven't been afraid to develop players while in the midst of contending. The key is to develop a few players at once though. That and make sure when you are developing players you have a good core around them (the Angels have jack s*** at pretty much all of there positions).

And this is a major peeve of mine since I was about the only person ripping Stoneman the past few years all while defending Kenny for a long time. This is because I don't think a GM can succeed when he's afraid of his own shadow (SEE DAN EVANS). You need balls to win this job. You need to be able to make a move and not worry what the fans think (just be confident in your own and your baseball people's decision).

Kenny got bit often, but the logic behind his moves was always there. Eventually he got things right and learned from some of his mistakes (ie not focusing enough on character...see Royce the Choice and b focusing too much on power, although I think some people overhype the fact that we are a speed team; we have speed and a way to create, but more importantly we are a far less selfish team and one that is much more willing to execute and do the little things than the Jerry Manuel teams).

That and one hell of a pitching staff (which he was able to get by sacrificing a bit of offense and freeing up some payroll).

I think getting Jeff Weaver set that organization back to the 60s. I hope we never get near him.

On a side note, my dad and I are looking at hitting up a Dodgers-Ywins game in late June. That's should be fun. :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
Kochman needs to be dealt somewhere else (Let Morales play 1st).

Kotchman is really good. I mean REALLY good. If he gets dealt, he better be in the NL. The Angels really should be patient with Casey. Morales is a stud too (not sure if he's better defensively than Kotchman you would know better Jas) but I really like Kotchman's upside.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)
On a side note, my dad and I are looking at hitting up a Dodgers-Ywins game in late June. That's should be fun. :)

I bet it will be assuming you nor him have ever heard of a "Ywin." :bang :D

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
Kotchman is really good. I mean REALLY good. If he gets dealt, he better be in the NL. The Angels really should be patient with Casey. Morales is a stud too (not sure if he's better defensively than Kotchman you would know better Jas) but I really like Kotchman's upside.

I could be completely wrong about this but it seems like Kotchman has had quite a few chances and hasn't been able to hit at the major league level. Once again, I'm really not sure if that's completely right but it just seems like he's had a lot of chances. Help me out here jas.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
I could be completely wrong about this but it seems like Kotchman has had quite a few chances and hasn't been able to hit at the major league level. Once again, I'm really not sure if that's completely right but it just seems like he's had a lot of chances. Help me out here jas.

Thats the case. Koctchman has been given numerous opportunities and has failed. He isn't bad defensively nor is he great. However, I'm comparing him to Erstad who is the best defensive 1st baseman in the game.

Haven't seen near enough of Morales (only saw him in Spring) so I couldn't tell you about Morales defense, but his bat is impressive and that is what the Angels need.

I was expecting Kochman to turn things around this year, but I think he needs a change of scenery.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
I was expecting Kochman to turn things around this year, but I think he needs a change of scenery.

Yea I can really see that happening even though I don't like judging a man who has only 321 career ab's and only 79 this season. The only thing I will say that's dissapointed me about Casey is his lack of power. He did shows signs last season in only 126 abs with 7 hr's and I've always liked his plate disapline. Man when you talk about a guy who could be traded and then be on the Angels "worst trades in history" (depending on who they get) its Kotchman.

The Angels are in a tough situation right now.

I'm of the view that you let your young talent develop at the major league level, if they've got the talent to succeed. And you'd think players like McPherson and Kotchman are those type of prospects. But for whatever reason, whether it's through injuries and just not performing, they just haven't gotten the job done.

Stoneman just called up Kendry Morales so it'll be interesting to finally see what he can do. Their AAA team at Salt Lake hit in a real big hitters park though, think Coors Field with the whole altitude thing so the ball really flies up there, so maybe a lot of their younger guys have just overachieved in AAA in terms of their numbers.

As for letting Molina go, it wasn't the right move at all. They put the money they could have used into re-signing him, in signing Jeff Weaver on a 1 year deal. Weaver's stunk it up, when you could have his brother starting, and now you've got Mike Napoli catching, so Stoneman definitely dropped the ball on that one.

Although I wouldn't trust Molina's numbers to hold up on a long - term deal either.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Yea I can really see that happening even though I don't like judging a man who has only 321 career ab's and only 79 this season. The only thing I will say that's dissapointed me about Casey is his lack of power. He did shows signs last season in only 126 abs with 7 hr's and I've always liked his plate disapline. Man when you talk about a guy who could be traded and then be on the Angels "worst trades in history" (depending on who they get) its Kotchman.

Kotchman's problem this year, especially in the power department, may stem from the fact that he's basically been sick since the start of spring training. Mono, IIRC.

Still wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Erstad playing centerfield for the White Sox before this year is done. He's always been a Kenny Williams favorite. I think he's in his walk year, and if we get to the deadline with Anderson still not hitting, a prospect or two might get that one done (and who knows, maybe one of those Angels bullpen guys, too). Plus he can play first, so he takes Gload's spot pretty easily, and Anderson stays up as a defensive guy at all the outfield positions.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:43 AM)
Still wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Erstad playing centerfield for the White Sox before this year is done. He's always been a Kenny Williams favorite. I think he's in his walk year, and if we get to the deadline with Anderson still not hitting, a prospect or two might get that one done (and who knows, maybe one of those Angels bullpen guys, too). Plus he can play first, so he takes Gload's spot pretty easily, and Anderson stays up as a defensive guy at all the outfield positions.

I don't want a guy who makes $8,750,000 and has a .629 OPS patrolling center field for us, and I think most people here feel the same way.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:44 AM)
I don't want a guy who makes $8,750,000 and has a .629 OPS patrolling center field for us, and I think most people here feel the same way.

So he's like Gross Load only a hell of a lot more expensive.

PASS!