Agustin Montero sent down

Guest JimH

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 23, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Please Ozzie for God's sake don't let him pitch to any switch hitters or lefties.

That's my main worry with him as well.

Hopefully he's still got something left in the tank. Jason and I saw him in a pressure situation b/w the Angels and Mariners last season. 2 outs, bases loaded and Vlad up at the plate. And Nelson got him swinging at a ball way down and away, a slider.

But I will say our bullpen looks in better shape than at this point 2 weeks ago, and to me, that's mainly because of what Matt Thornton's done in his last 4 outings.

This is Jabroni's wet dream.

:headbang

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox purchase contract of Jeff Nelson from Class AAA Charlotte

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game vs. Oakland, the Chicago White Sox purchased the contract of right-handed reliever Jeff Nelson from Class AAA Charlotte. Nelson, 39, takes the roster spot of right-hander Agustin Montero, who was optioned to Charlotte following last night's Sox win.

Nelson, 6-foot-8 and 225 pounds, agreed to terms with the White Sox on a minor-league contract on May 2 and went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA (5.1 IP) in four games with the Knights. He allowed four hits, walked four and struck out seven. Nelson went to spring training with St. Louis but was released on March 29 despite throwing 5.2 scoreless IP with just one hit allowed and seven strikeouts.

Nelson has gone 48-44 with a 3.41 ERA (296 ER/782.0 IP) and 827 strikeouts in 792 career appearances with Seattle (1992-95, 2001-03, '05), the Yankees (1996-2000) and Texas (2004). His 792 appearances rank sixth among active pitchers. Nelson has limited opponents to a .223 average and was a member of four World Champion Yankees teams.

Nelson spent 2005 with Seattle, going 1-3 with a 3.93 ERA (16 ER/36.2 IP) and 34 strikeouts in 49 games. He posted nine holds and allowed just six of 31 (19.4 percent) of inherited runners to score.

Nelson will wear uniform No. 43. The White Sox 40-man roster stands at 37.

I saw Nelson this afternoon walking down Walton. He seems a lot bigger on television, although he is tall. He's a pretty skinny drink of water.

Full Name: Jeffrey Allan Nelson

Height: 6'8" Weight: 225

He's 3 inches taller than Frank but 50 pounds lighter. :o

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 23, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
Full Name: Jeffrey Allan Nelson

Height: 6'8" Weight: 225

He's 3 inches taller than Frank but 50 pounds lighter. :o

I am roughly 6'6 215...so he sounds fine to me.

Granted I'm not ripped or huge, but it's a decent weight (like a 2 guard in my case or a SF in his).

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ May 23, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
I am roughly 6'6 215...so he sounds fine to me.

Granted I'm not ripped or huge, but it's a decent weight (like a 2 guard in my case or a SF in his).

He looked thin to me. Its just that he always seemed so imposing to me especially on TV. Standing next to him, I'm 6'5", he wasn't so imposing.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
He looked thin to me. Its just that he always seemed so imposing to me especially on TV. Standing next to him, I'm 6'5", he wasn't so imposing.

ah, gotcha...well they say the camera makes you look bigger (adds pounds), so I can def see that.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 23, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
05SweetneyMichael01.jpg

:bang

Nelson is one of those guys who always made you feel like our righties had no chance against him. Like others have stated, it's important that Ozzie uses him in situations where he has to face righties. For example, he'd be a good guy to use against someone like Frank or Bobby Crosby in this series. If we put him in to face someone like Scutaro, then the A's can get the advantage by having a lefty bat for him.

Guest JimH
to me nelson is a little worse than vizcaino at this point, and many people ont he board have been sayin that our pen could use vizcaino back,

Exactly, I hope people on this board aren't expecting perfection out of Nelson. He will walk guys and he will occasionally implode.

I can just hear it the first time he gives up a run, "Nelson sucks, he's washed up".

Hopefully at a minimum he's solid and best case scenario he's dominant in his role.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
Exactly, I hope people on this board aren't expecting perfection out of Nelson. He will walk guys and he will occasionally implode.

I can just hear it the first time he gives up a run, "Nelson sucks, he's washed up".

Hopefully at a minimum he's solid and best case scenario he's dominant in his role.

Its ridiculous to think that he'll struggle!

I wonder how many people get this joke.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)

I don't know about washed up, but he was far from inspiring in his preformance last night. He was scared to throw his fastball, and he couldn't get his breaking stuff over for strikes. Hopefully it is just rust.

Guest JimH
I don't know about washed up, but he was far from inspiring in his preformance last night. He was scared to throw his fastball, and he couldn't get his breaking stuff over for strikes. Hopefully it is just rust.

I think it was rust but time will tell. The good news is, his pitches had tons of movement.

Looking at his career stats though, he's known to walk guys. 1 every 2 innings, a bit more than that actually. So he's made a lot of his living by hitters helping him out. He will need to spot the fastball because guys will wait the slider out and hope it's out of the zone.

Interesting that Cooper immediately chatted it up with him, at length in the dugout, right after Nelson's outing. DJ speculated they were discussing release point. He was pitching inside to Frank and just missing the inside corner. I was glad they trotted him out there though, get the first one out of the way and let him shake off the jitters.

We'll see how this pans out. I like having him in the pen because he's a different look than Politte, McCarthy, and Jenks ... Nelson has that funky delivery and if he's on he's tough. Plus he's been through the wars and knows how to win.