Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He still needs a secondary pitch.

He has been better than I expected, which is encouraging. But a few dominant outings, then a few wild terrible ones, has been his style for his entire career. Until he cuts the wild ones out, and finds a secondary pitch so that the longball isn't a problem, I'm not putting him in many high-leverage situations.

He is tantalizing though.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)

He has been better than I expected, which is encouraging. But a few dominant outings, then a few wild terrible ones, has been his style for his entire career. Until he cuts the wild ones out, and finds a secondary pitch so that the longball isn't a problem, I'm not putting him in many high-leverage situations.

That slider of his is nasty when he throws it for strikes. If he can do that, along with keeping the walks under control (I believe he only has 3 actual walks), he'll be damn good.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
That slider of his is nasty when he throws it for strikes. If he can do that, along with keeping the walks under control (I believe he only has 3 actual walks), he'll be damn good.

His slider is flat and only effective when a righty chases one thrown at his knees.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 23, 2006 -> 05:41 AM)
His slider is flat and only effective when a righty chases one thrown at his knees.

I agree. It's not really a 'biting' slider, and certainly not something I'd characterize as being nasty. The only place that pitch should be thrown is on the outside corner (to lefties or righties), and down and in to righties (and I'm talking in the dirt).

He's got a helluva fastball though. Pretty straight, but you can be straight when your hitting 97-99 with ease.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)

The nice thing is Cooper has had a good history with guys improving there changeups when joining our organization. It seems to be a strenght of our coaching staff and a nice changeup to compliment Thorntons pedestrian (yet good enough when mixed with his fastball) slider would make him pretty much unhittable (if he can continue to improve his command).

I love Thornton stuff and you can see he's just a hell of a lot more confident with the Sox. Ozzie has shown faith in Matt and Matt has responded. Part of it is the fact that Coop seems to be excellent at teaching the mental game of pitching and getting the pitchers to have confidence in there stuff.

It seems like too many pitchers out think themselves and think they have to make the perfect pitch, when in reality if they throw strikes and change locations they not only don't have to make the perfect pitch (rather just consistently paint the zone while changing locations and speed) and not only will you be sucessful when you make those pitches, but because you are hard to lock in on, you will get away with the mistakes you make (and every pitcher, no matter how good they are, makes mistakes).

The good ones are so good that a hitter often times can't get the mistake because he's so concerned with trying to protect all the plate.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 22, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
As long as he can throw strikes, he is going to be an asset. This was a great move by KW.

Thornton+Mackowiak > Marte+Borchard.

Considering Borch is already out of Seattle and the fact that we were able to get a young lefty that can throw 97 MPH...well I'll take my chances on that move any day of the week.

If we could convert just a few of those type of guys, we'd be in business.

Considering Borch is already out of Seattle and the fact that we were able to get a young lefty that can throw 97 MPH...well I'll take my chances on that move any day of the week.

If we could convert just a few of those type of guys, we'd be in business.

What happened to Borch? Where did he end up? Sorry memory lapse. :huh

QUOTE(3RDBASE @ May 23, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)
What happened to Borch? Where did he end up? Sorry memory lapse. :huh

He got claimed off waivers by the Cubs, he's pretty much just a bench warmer, in fact he wasn't even on the active list for the Sox series, which is why you didn't see him at all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
He got claimed off waivers by the Cubs, he's pretty much just a bench warmer, in fact he wasn't even on the active list for the Sox series, which is why you didn't see him at all.

Hell I didn't even know that. I didn't realize the Marlins cut him lose after the Mariners did.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 22, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
You've been kalapse'd.

:lolhitting

I zoned out most of this weekend with school so I just figured I missed something. Next thing you know he's going to tell me about how Caruso is on pace to break Hank Aaron's home run record.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
The nice thing is Cooper has had a good history with guys improving there changeups when joining our organization. It seems to be a strenght of our coaching staff and a nice changeup to compliment Thorntons pedestrian (yet good enough when mixed with his fastball) slider would make him pretty much unhittable (if he can continue to improve his command).

His windup and motion are really smooth and easy and then he brings some 97 mph heat. If this guy can learn to throw a changeup with that same motion & delivery, game over.

And if not, we still have the big dude to come in and throw gas from the right side