Garland

Greg Hibbard

His stats are not good AT ALL.

He's had four quality starts this season, and three of them were against KC or Tampa Bay. The other one was at Seattle against ANOTHER futile team. Against average or above average teams his ERA is probably well over 10.

His WHIP is atrocious at 1.53. That's worse than Marte was last year!

His BAA is .325. .325!!!!

His ERA is above 6, even with the good starts.

He's had 9 starts now. This is more than 1/4 into the season. I realize a lot of fans and people within the organization are unwilling to yank an important cog in the World Series run from last year, but something is way, way off, moreso than it's ever been perhaps in his career.

I would give him two more starts to straighten it out, but then I think a change might have to be made if noticeable improvement isn't happening. I understand the dead arm argument, but we're going on two months of that. Or can we live with a fifth starter not having his best stuff, especially because come playoff time we'll only need four?

Where do you folks stand with this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're overreacting. 1 pitcher out of 5. Tell me who else in the league comes close to our pitching. The Tigers? They have guys who are known to fade away in the 2nd half. As long as he keeps us in the game, I don't give a crap. He gave up 4 runs last night. There's tons of teams who would take 4 runs out of their #5 starter anyday. Hell, they'd take that out of their #3 in the case of the Yankees and Bosox.

I'm not worried about Garland. He's just got to mix in his Sinker in more with his 2seamer. I'm sure Coop and Ozzie will tell him that or have told him that after the game. Once he does, he'll be very good once again.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
Nitetrain, just because we have 4 other good starters does not mean we need to accept utter crap from our fifth starter, especially when we have another guy capable of starting in the bullpen and Garland has only put up good numbers in ONE year.

Utter Crap? Wow you have a short memory.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ May 23, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Nitetrain, just because we have 4 other good starters does not mean we need to accept utter crap from our fifth starter, especially when we have another guy capable of starting in the bullpen and Garland has only put up good numbers in ONE year.

I wouldn't call it utter crap. Is he near his performances from last year? No, not at this moment, but if you look around the league, he's doing just about average. I don't see a problem with that. :huh

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ May 23, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
I really think that Jon pitches better when he has AJ behind the plate. I don't know if it is a confidence thing or not, but I hope that Ozzie keeps AJ with him as much as possible.

I do too, but I guess Ozzie for some reason loves Widger behind there when Garland is throwing.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
I wouldn't call it utter crap. Is he near his performances from last year? No, not at this moment, but if you look around the league, he's doing just about average. I don't see a problem with that. :huh

Apparently these people forget how it was 2 years ago. Rauch, Munoz, Grilli, etc etc etc.

^^^

Well said, I'm sick of the argument that the fifth starter doesn't have to be good. What happens when other guys go into funks? Other teams aren't paying what the Sox are paying for a fifth starter. I've said it before, Garland just might pitch himself into a trade after this season, but I'd much rather he pitch inside with confidence and win some games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Tonight it had more to do with Barry Zito being on the mound than anything else...
Also Jon follows MB, FG, and the count, and more often than not its time to rest the regulars after several wins.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 23, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Utter Crap? Wow you have a short memory.

3-2, 6.12 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .325 BAA.

This is what I'm describing as utter crap. WTF would you call it? Last year has nothing to do with it. Beating three AAAA teams isn't something to laud him for....

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)

This is what I'm describing as utter crap. WTF would you call it? Last year has nothing to do with it. Beating three AAAA teams isn't something to laud him for....

I would much rather call your posts and topic utter crap before Garland. Without getting sqeezed last night, the score may have been much different. Come back at the end of the year, and if Garland has an ERA over 5 come talk to me.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ May 23, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)

You said his WHIP is worse than Marte's. Well that would be because Marte's a reliever and Garland's a starter. Usually, if your name isn't Johan, your WHIP is going to be worse than a reliever. BAA isn't good. ERA also isn't the best stat. 3-2 shows me that he's still winning. I'm not concerned. As long as he keeps us in games against the crappy teams, that's all I ask for. I'll let Contreras do the dominating.

Garland's batting average against of balls in play last year was .253 which was good for sixth lowest in the American League. Combine this with his low strikeout rate, and I say that Garland's 2005 was the exception, not the norm. Couldn't have worked out any better for him, as he really cashed in on a fortunate season.

Yeah since McCarthy and his 5.48 ERA are doin sooo much better than Garland

I got blasted at the beginning of this season for saying that 2005 was an OBVIOUS fluke, so I'll just shut up about that now and let the numbers speak for themselves the rest of the way.

I'm really not sure what indications anyone has been given that Garland can even give up less than 5 or 6 runs against most competitive American League teams. Let me re-iterate: Garland has an ERA above 10 against teams not named TB, KC and Seattle. You know, teams we're likely to be facing in the playoffs...

I posted this stat last night. Garland's already given up half the amount of homers he did last year, in nearly 25 pct of the innings he pitched (like 221 compared to 57). Garland has to get back to throwing his sinker. His four-seamer is good enough to be a good pitcher in the majors.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ May 23, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
I got blasted at the beginning of this season for saying that 2005 was an OBVIOUS fluke, so I'll just shut up about that now and let the numbers speak for themselves the rest of the way.

I'm really not sure what indications anyone has been given that Garland can even give up less than 5 or 6 runs against most competitive American League teams. Let me re-iterate: Garland has an ERA above 10 against teams not named TB, KC and Seattle. You know, teams we're likely to be facing in the playoffs...

Don't worry about the playoffs...Garland wouldn't even start. It would be Count, Buerhle, Freddy and Javy.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 23, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
You said his WHIP is worse than Marte's. Well that would be because Marte's a reliever and Garland's a starter. Usually, if your name isn't Johan, your WHIP is going to be worse than a reliever. BAA isn't good. ERA also isn't the best stat. 3-2 shows me that he's still winning. I'm not concerned. As long as he keeps us in games against the crappy teams, that's all I ask for. I'll let Contreras do the dominating.

I'm sorry this post confuses me, did you just say that the best way to evaluate Garland is by his record? So because the team is scoring runs for him when he goes out there and gives up 6 runs it's ok? Whatever you say.