Corey Patterson

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
Yup, beaut is right though, when we first made that trade, Mack was supposed to be insurace for Joe's back or at least that's what mostly everyone thought.

Then we sent Baj to Arizona for Cintron. After that we learned Mack would primarily be playing the OF this year while Cintron took over the backup infield duties with Ozuna.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
Then we sent Baj to Arizona for Cintron. After that we learned Mack would primarily be playing the OF this year while Cintron took over the backup infield duties with Ozuna.

Correct, just saying that when the trade was first completed, that is what most of us figured Mack would be doing, backing up Joe that is.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
Correct, just saying that when the trade was first completed, that is what most of us figured Mack would be doing, backing up Joe that is.

yeah that was the impression i was under. like watching todays game Kotsay's single in the top of the thrid Anderson/Patterson would've definatly had that ball. Im happy Rob is on a hot-streak but hes avg at best in CF and i think im being generous at that.

20 for 21 in steals? That's Carlos Beltran s*** right there, hell he's putting up better than Beltran numbers overall (and yes I know he's also having a very good year) for about 1/10th the price this year in Baltimore.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Here's the article. It's too bad that I can't find the picture of the amazing grab. It really gives you an idea of how impressive his vertical is.

O's a good fit for Patterson

Baltimore coaches thrilled as former Cub displays all-around talents in new home

Wouldn't you know it? The most booed and vilified Cubs player last season, Corey Patterson, is playing lights out for the Baltimore Orioles.

To add to that revolting development, two former Cubs managers, Lee Elia and Tom Trebelhorn, have been instrumental in Patterson's renaissance.

Patterson is hitting .290 with seven homers, 20 runs batted in and 19 stolen bases for the Orioles, who beat Tampa Bay on Wednesday. For good measure, he is playing Gold Glove defense in center field, saving Tuesday night's game with a catch above the center-field wall.

The Cubs could hardly wait to dump Patterson, 26, and his $2.8 million salary on the Orioles in exchange for two low-level prospects and probably a bag of balls. Patterson hit only .215 for the Cubs last year with an on-base percentage of .254. This season he has an on-base percentage of .338.

"I was one of the guys who was hopeful we could get him, and we did," said Elia, who is the bench coach for manager Sam Perlozzo. "You don't want to put the [hex] on him, but he's playing a great center field and we're happy to have him."

Orioles batting coach Terry Crowley, third-base coach Trebelhorn and Elia have spent productive time working with Patterson, who told reporters in the spring he was inundated with advice from the Cubs.

Patterson believes he has to stick to his natural way of hitting. But the Orioles did manage to convince him to tinker with his approach at the plate.

"Crowley made a few adjustments with his swing," said Elia, who turns 69 in July. "The swings are a little more compact. You know, the home runs are a bonus. We're just looking for him to be a line-drive hitter. Not a slap hitter, but a solid line-drive hitter. He's unbelievable on the bases. He's our little Rickey Henderson." Patterson is 18-for-19 in stolen bases."

Tuesday night Patterson hit two home runs--both key in the Orioles' 7-5 victory.

"Then he makes a game-saving catch over the wall in the ninth inning," Elia said. "It was a perfect ending for a great night for him.

"Me and Trebelhorn hit him fly balls before the games. We work with him off to the side, and we hit balls to him over his head. I have talked to him many times about different things at the ballpark. He seems to be very unassuming."

Patterson politely declined to be interviewed by a Tribune reporter this week, saying through a club spokesman that anything he would say would be perceived as being negative or critical of the Cubs and that he didn't want to leave that impression.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
20 for 21 in steals? That's Carlos Beltran s*** right there, hell he's putting up better than Beltran numbers overall (and yes I know he's also having a very good year) for about 1/10th the price this year in Baltimore.

Patterson's OPS is 154 points lower . . . just throwing it out there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Patterson's OPS is 154 points lower . . . just throwing it out there.

Yeah he's having a really good year, so I believe it. Just saying that moreso Patterson is doing up to his potential in Baltimore, but the Cubs had to dump him for nothing to get a guy with a .270's on base, no power, no arm, and a 6 million dollar salary (in a contract year)....and had to give up 3 high prospects to get him. Just amazing, he'd have never done this with the Cubs, which is more amazing as to how bad they are with young guys. s*** like this, not a "goat", is why they don't win.

And why were you so nice there Kalapse? Something wrong? You should have said "Patterson's OPS is 154 points lower you dumbass". ;)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Yeah he's having a really good year, so I believe it. Just saying that moreso Patterson is doing up to his potential in Baltimore, but the Cubs had to dump him for nothing to get a guy with a .270's on base, no power, no arm, and a 6 million dollar salary (in a contract year)....and had to give up 3 high prospects to get him. Just amazing, he'd have never done this with the Cubs, which is more amazing as to how bad they are with young guys. s*** like this, not a "goat", is why they don't win.

And why were you so nice there Kalapse? Something wrong? You should have said "Patterson's OPS is 154 points lower you dumbass". ;)

You have to be a smarass/dick sparingly or it loses it's effect.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)

He has been "Aced" by Yours truely. :) Ever since I called him out on that, he's mellowed down some. Still has that ridiculous Rancid sig up, but he's making progress.. :)

IT's weird the way some guys get run out of Wrigley. I am not Moises Alou fan at all but he socked 39 homers his last year in Chicago and they let him go......for Jeromy Burnitz? For Todd Hollandsworth? THeir fans dictate far too much of what is done by the team

No. They're just cheap and have bad management. And the fans were pissed when Alou was let go.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
No. They're just cheap and have bad management. And the fans were pissed when Alou was let go.

Yep, they're so cheap they've been among the top 6 or 7 in payroll over the last 5 years, and they spent a fortune on their bullpen this offseason.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
is his BA dropping?

He went 0-5 yesterday, so his BA dropped from .291 to .281. But he has a 6 game SB streak going.

I think that he'll be at or around .270 by the time we hit the ASB. Thus far, 22 SB to 27 strikeouts in damn near 150 ABs. Don't act like you're not impressed. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
is his BA dropping?

lol yes it is, but its still .270+ my friend. :cheers

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Unless the O's are working on a contract extension with him, I believe he'll get move.

I almost 100% sure he's going to be a free agent after this season.

your right, hes a FA after this season so unless they plan on extending him, "He Gone!" and hopefully to the white sox.

I think it would be a good move. People on the southside won't be calling for his head every AB. He would bat 8th, giving Juan his trusty 9spot. I think him not having a defined role in the cubs batting order along with incompetent coaching is what really killed this kid on the north side.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
He went 0-5 yesterday, so his BA dropped from .291 to .281. But he has a 6 game SB streak going.

I think that he'll be at or around .270 by the time we hit the ASB. Thus far, 22 SB to 27 strikeouts in damn near 150 ABs. Don't act like you're not impressed. :D

270 is the magic number for my sig bet. I am impressed by his SB's. And his defense. I always thought he was pretty good, but he looks damn good this year.