Corey Patterson

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I think it would be a good move. People on the southside won't be calling for his head every AB. He would bat 8th, giving Juan his trusty 9spot.

Is this a joke? What player isnt vulnerable to a town square hanging around here? K-orey Patterson already has a history of being a whipping boy in the Chicagoland media. You act as if he is a sure thing when he comes back, but if he comes back and his BA keeps dropping then all of the old crap comes right back again just as strong as ever.

I would like to think that he is coming into his own right now, but it would take more than a few good months in the beginning of the season to convince me that Patterson has finally figured it out. The guy is streaky as hell, I really dont see KW throwing all of his chips on him.

I think him not having a defined role in the cubs batting order along with incompetent coaching is what really killed this kid on the north side.

That, and the fact that he never worked on his patience at the plate, and thought he didnt need to work on his fundamentals. He had quite a quote-worthy stretch in the paper last year IIRC, when he pretty much blamed everyone but himself.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a good move. People on the southside won't be calling for his head every AB. He would bat 8th, giving Juan his trusty 9spot. I think him not having a defined role in the cubs batting order along with incompetent coaching is what really killed this kid on the north side.

I sat in CF for the first game of the Toronto series at the Cell. Brian Anderson was only 60 ABs into his career at that point and was beeing heckled mercifully by numerous Sox fans. It was f***ing retarded for them to do such a thing but it does prove that a player that does not perform, even a rookie who has only been starting for 8 games will be heckled. If Patterson came here as a free agent, picked up a massive contract which he will get and does not perform the fans will be calling for his head very quickly.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Not to put a damper on the idea of the Sox getting Patterson, but if he keeps playing the way he is, we'd never have the prospects to get him.

...yea...but i can dream can't i? i truly think hes turned the corner.

If the '06 Patterson is the player who he truely is then he is the black Carlos beltran. They have the same damn tools and are the best baserunners in the game. You're not supposed to be able to steal bases the way Patterson and Beltran do.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
And the fans were pissed when Alou was let go.

They weren't pissed when Alou was let go. They were pissed that he wasn't replaced.

I agree it's waaayyy too early to judge Corey...new league, less pressure.

His BB to K ratio is what needs to be watched...just last week, I believe, he was still at 5BB's, which eventually would lead back to the Corey of old.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
They weren't pissed when Alou was let go. They were pissed that he wasn't replaced.

I agree it's waaayyy too early to judge Corey...new league, less pressure.

His BB to K ratio is what needs to be watched...just last week, I believe, he was still at 5BB's, which eventually would lead back to the Corey of old.

Right now he has 10 BB and he's walked twice in the past week.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Not to put a damper on the idea of the Sox getting Patterson, but if he keeps playing the way he is, we'd never have the prospects to get him.

When the Cubs bring his brother Eric up it would kind of bring a neat new aspect to the Sox - Cubs series having brothers staring across the field at each other.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind being in the same city, too.

I kind of wonder how Eric will react when he gets called up by the same organization/fan base that crapped all over his big brother and ran him out of town... it would be one thing if they just booed him after strike outs... but Cub fans would boo him before he took a swing.