Question about Ozuna's bunt.

YASNY

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)
Pablo Ozuna takes a ton of pitches. In this situation he got a perfect pitch to bunt the pitcher was just going to try and get ahead of him. Also he is a good bunter, he even said he was a better bunter than hitter. Maybe he thought ot himself, if the pitcher throws me a pitch I can push to the right I can get a running start and beat it out because the second basemen is playing deep in the hole and the pitcher falls to the third base side.

To compare this play to Neifi Perez is night and day. The best thing Neifi could have done was move the tying run into scoring position. Of the people I was watching the game with, 4 guys said he should try this.

Ozuna seemed to think about this before he went to bat.

If I am not mistaken, DJ called the play just a second or two before the play transpired. Watching at home, I loved the idea before it unfolded. The situation just had that feel that if Pablo decided to go for it, good things will happen. It reminded me of the Seattle squeeze play to end the 2000 ALDS. You just knew it was coming and no one could do anything about it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
Ozuna was up in a situation were if he gets a hit, the Sox win. If Perez executes the bunt perfectly, the Cubs are still trailing and will need at least another hit, if not 2 to tie the game.

Agreed. If Pablo had bunted with the Sox trailing, I would've been critical of the decision. But as somebody stated earlier in this thread, the score was tied with BMac ready to go - I would've liked our chances in the 11th as well.

I also tend to give Ozzie's players a little more slack because I think that they're better-prepared to execute plays like that than most other teams. Ozzie and his staff have done a phenominal job of instilling fundamentals - something that Jerry Manuel and many other managers/coaches around the league don't.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^

It's funny when some people actually state that Pods is faster. It's not even close, in my opinion.

Agreed, although Pods probably has better base stealing instincts and technique.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^

It's funny when some people actually state that Pods is faster. It's not even close, in my opinion.

Its really not, Pablo is way faster, even guys on the team know it. There are a handful of guys that are faster in the league. Crawford, maybe gathright, Figgins, i dont know who else.

The Cubs were down 2 with 2 on, if he was safe on the bunt attempt they are still losing.

The bunt is such a risky play it's not worth the risk to possibly end the game. If Ozuna screwed it up the game continues, if Perez screws up the game is over.

Edited by WHarris1

Definately, because if Neifi fails (like he did/usually does), the Cubs lose. If Pablo fails, the Sox move on to the next inning. And he's a better bunter, so I'd rather him force the defense to make a play than hit one right at them.

I see no similarities whatsoever. The Cubs were down by 2 with runners on the corners, and we were tied already. Worst case scenario for Pablo's AB was a tie game. Worst case for Nefi was obviously a loss by two. Best case scenario on his bunt was putting his team down only one with 2 outs in the 9th still needing another hit. Incredibly stupid play by Nefi, good heads up play (maybe risky) by Pablo.