GM to buy gas for SUV owners

Balta1701

Brilliant.

General Motors Corp. is doing what politicians wish they could do: Lower the price of gas to $1.99 a gallon.

GM on Tuesday announced a promotion that caps gas at $1.99 a gallon for one year for buyers of certain full-size sport-utility vehicles and midsize cars in California and Florida.

Consumers will receive a monthly credit to a pre-paid fuel card for the difference between $1.99 and the average price of premium gas in their state.

The amount they receive will be based on the number of miles they drive, as recorded in the OnStar communications system in all vehicles, and the EPA city fuel-economy estimate for their vehicle.

Eligible vehicles in California include the 2006 and 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL large SUVs. In Florida, Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick LaCrosse midsize cars are eligible.

Yet another reason for me not to buy a GM vehicle, as if I needed more.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
Yet another reason for me not to buy a GM vehicle, as if I needed more.

Forget the vehicle, avoid the stock. What a waste of money. A large portion of SUV owners are small business owners and they buy the big trucks because, over a certain size, the whole cost is a tax write off. American auto manufacturers are getting thier asses waxed by Toyota because the Japanese make a car people want to drive. This gas thing is just another example that they don't get it.

Edited by Rex Kickass

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ May 24, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
This gas thing is just another example that they don't get it.

Yup. Their solution to high energy costs is to pay for the energy for people, instead of making their vehicles use less energy. As I said...Brilliant.

This is just another idiotic move by GM, who are already hemorraging cash. The whole reserve-workers program that adds thousands in cost to every car is another one. Toyota, Nissan and Subaru are all better run companies to begin with, and now the US companies are adding further handicaps. The US auto industry is almost as screwed up as the airlines were prior to 9/11.

what the hell is going through the board of directors minds at GM? i have found every one of their marketing and especially their production decisions absolutely retarded lately, and by lately i mean the las 3 years.

STOP MAKING SO MANY SUVS AND START EMBRACING FUEL EFFICIENCY, MORONS