Ozzie: Mack going to start more games in CF

greasywheels121

Manager Ozzie Guillen indicated Tuesday that Rob Mackowiak will get increased playing time over Brian Anderson in center field. "Brian is not hitting the way we hoped he'd hit," Guillen said. "Right now, Mackowiak is going to be in against tough righties until we see Brian start swinging the bat better. He will face some righties, but we're going to pick the ones we think he can handle. The way Mackowiak's swinging, I don't mind using him." May. 24 - 9:34 am et Chicago Tribune

Interesting.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF happened to defense and pitching? It isn't like this is LF, RF, or 1B we are talking about, it's the most important position after C and SS, and we have the terrible Mackowiak out there now.

The offense is fine with BA in there. I look at it this way: BA is clearly around 20 runs better than Mack defensively, and Mack is not 20 runs better than BA offensively--over the course of a season.

I'm pretty pissed right now. This is a shortsighted move for the organization, and even this season.

I don't know how anyone can be happy with a transient vet, with a career of below average hitting and defense in CF, getting playing time over the highly touted rookie, who--wow--is struggling at the plate in his first full season.

However, it has not carried over to his defense, from all accounts, personal and sabr, he's played one of the best CF's in all of baseball.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
I don't know how anyone can be happy with a transient vet, with a career of below average hitting and defense in CF, getting playing time over the highly touted rookie, who--wow--is struggling at the plate in his first full season.

However, it has not carried over to his defense, from all accounts, personal and sabr, he's played one of the best CF's in all of baseball.

Don't get me wrong, I love Anderson's defense. It's really great. But, he's more than just struggling at the plate. He's batting like .165, and that's horrendous.

Ugh. Of course everyone will love this until Mack starts giving away games with his D, then everyone will hate it again. Brutal idea if this is on a more permanent basis. Mack is a terrible CF. To be honest I would rather see them move Pods to CF and let Mack play LF.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Ugh. Of course everyone will love this until Mack starts giving away games with his D, then everyone will hate it again. Brutal idea if this is on a more permanent basis. Mack is a terrible CF. To be honest I would rather see them move Pods to CF and let Mack play LF.

All things considered, you're probalby right, if this is going to wind up being more than a temporary arrangement. Which is pretty sad considering the butcher job Pods does out there sometimes.

Come on Brian, get some f***ing hits.

Mack is hitting well right now but I'd much rather have Anderson in there for defensive purposes. IMO Mack is going to cost us more games with his defense compared to Brian's then Brian would cost with his bat compared to Mack's.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
To be honest I would rather see them move Pods to CF and let Mack play LF.

Disagree completely here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)

People always said Mack would be utilized like a starter when he gets going, because he's incredibly streaky. I feel this is just for the short-term. And I agree that BA should be out there the majority of the time.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
If Ozzie is going to do this than I would like to see Cintron get half of the playing time @ SS. Juan and BA's OBP are almost the same. And I think that BA is better defensively than Juan. So it should go both ways. (insert joke here) Juan is going to dig a hole to China by the end of the season.

Brian might be sucking at the plate but he does no bring that into the field. Can we say the same for Uribe?

I really despise the idea of giving up defense for offense especially when you've scored the 2nd most runs in baseball.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Mack is hitting well right now but I'd much rather have Anderson in there for defensive purposes. IMO Mack is going to cost us more games with his defense compared to Brian's then Brian would cost with his bat compared to Mack's.

Disagree completely here.

I know Pods is quite mediocre in CF, but Mack is mediocre and slow... Not a good combo. In the few games I have seen him out there, I have seen him just murder a couple of routes, and he lacks the make up speed to do anything about it. To be honest, I put Mack on a Carl Everett type level.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I know Pods is quite mediocre in CF, but Mack is mediocre and slow... Not a good combo. In the few games I have seen him out there, I have seen him just murder a couple of routes, and he lacks the make up speed to do anything about it. To be honest, I put Mack on a Carl Everett type level.

Mack hasn't been that bad in center imo. Don't get me wrong, he's nothing special out there but he's servicable, imo scotty wouldn't even be servicable. The few times he was out there last year, he was absolutely horrendous.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Brian might be sucking at the plate but he does no bring that into the field. Can we say the same for Uribe?

Juan has 3 errors in 172 chances. I think people are overreacting because he cost us a game vs the hated Cubs.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
Mack hasn't been that bad in center imo. Don't get me wrong, he's nothing special out there but he's servicable, imo scotty wouldn't even be servicable. The few times he was out there last year, he was absolutely horrendous.

Having "servicable" defense out in CF in hopes of defending a World Series title isn't acceptable considering the fact Brian's glove is more than that. We hear the Sox pride themselves on defense and pitching so this is a little disappointing. Especially when the Sox are #2 in runs scored. They don't need Mack's bat as much as they need Brian's glove out there for a pitching staff with a shaky bullpen that doesn't get tons of K's.

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Having "servicable" defense out in CF in hopes of defending a World Series title isn't acceptable considering the fact Brian's glove is more than that. We hear the Sox pride themselves on defense and pitching so this is a little disappointing to hear. Especially when the Sox are #2 in runs scored. They don't need Mack's bat as much as they need Brian's glove out there for a pitching staff that doesn't get tons of K's.

Read my post before that, I said the exact same thing. I was just comparing Mack to Pods in center here.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
The more this season goes on, the more I believe we're going to be in the market for a CF in a few months.

Shall we go ahead and fire up Rowandtalk?

Or should we just dust off Griffeytalk? (WWHP??)

;)

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)

Would you expect anything else? :huh

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Isn't this more than likely just a way to light a fire under BA's ass?

In all honesty, after reading Ozzie's quotes about Anderson this year, I think he's very disappointed in his at-bats this season. Ozzie not only mentioned the lack of hits, but he singled out the lack of quality at-bats.