Orlando Hernandez to the Mets

Gregory Pratt

I was watching PTI and it was announced by the news people at ESPN. I can't recall who they said they traded for him, but that they were trying to plug their four and five spots.

I was stunned. When they said, "The New York Mets have traded for..." I thought they had picked up Zito!

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
This move seemed to be written on the wall down here all this move does is add another fireballer with terrible command which is the same as the rest of the pen. Kevin Jarvis will take over as the 5th starter

I would take a fireballer with no command over El Duque any day of the week, unless it's October and my team is alive

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
I would take a fireballer with no command over El Duque any day of the week, unless it's October and my team is alive

That's why I don't like this trade for Arizona. They're in first right now, and have a great chance to contend in that NLW. I don't know if Julio will prove to be more valuable than Duque.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)

I don't disagree but the pen is filled with guys just like Juilo so I don't know how this improves the team.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 24, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
That's why I don't like this trade for Arizona. They're in first right now, and have a great chance to contend in that NLW. I don't know if Julio will prove to be more valuable than Duque.

Ask about that in a month when Julio is not on the disabled list and Hernandez is out for the year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Ask about that in a month when Julio is not on the disabled list and Hernandez is out for the year.

You always did love duque. ;)

I think this trade is meh for both teams to be honest. I think Duque is going to continue to get rocked and I at least think Julio could be decent but I doubt it happens.

Guest JimH

I like this trade for both teams. El Duque comes back to NY where his competitive juices will flow, Jorge Julio helps a bullpen that's had the most innings in MLB this year (or close to it).

Dbacks will need to plug in an end of the rotation starter, Kevin Jarvis isn't the answer, but they've got some young arms that might help.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
I like this trade for both teams. El Duque comes back to NY where his competitive juices will flow, Jorge Julio helps a bullpen that's had the most innings in MLB this year (or close to it).

Dbacks will need to plug in an end of the rotation starter, Kevin Jarvis isn't the answer, but they've got some young arms that might help.

Duque does do a nice job of pitching in New York and he should get better run support with the Mets lineup. Plus Arizona like mentioned earlier, their bullpen sees alot of innings and Julio is a reliant option.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
If Russ Ortiz, the former 20 game winner, can get his s*** together, the D-Backs rotation will be fairly decent.

Ortiz was pitching injured, when he gets back he should be no better than how El Duque was doing for them.

Edited by ChWRoCk2