AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

greasywheels121

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I didn't realize the wave stopped during a pitch and resumed in between pitches.

Haha, just for the record it takes about 60-90 seconds for the wave to go completely around the lower bowl. Last night it started when Clifford came in and ended when Jenks came in (simply because everyone eventually stood for Jenks)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I paid damn well my attention to the game. I never missed a single pitch. I went to watch a game, but I also went to have a good time. I knew exactly what was going on, why they brought in Nelson to face Thomas, and how Thorton came in after, and then Jenks came in with 2 on and 2 out, and struck the guy out. I damn well paid attention, and I still did the wave. If you think I am the only one that has the ability to do this, you are wrong.

Sure, I bet there were some people who didn't pay any attention to the game going on, but thats not even close to a majority of the crowd. Baseball is a slow sport, and people can do things like the wave inbetween pitches and still be fine.

Hmm.. a bit touchy are we...? :rolly

I attend many games at Comiskey kiddo... the majority can't do both. And those that watch - as you claim you do - don't do the wave in the late innings of a 1 run ball game.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
When push comes to shove, doing the wave while the action is ongoing is just rude. You are blocking the view of people who rightfully expect to sit and watch a ballgame.

The random crowd noise is pretty distracting too. At just random times you'll have large groups of people just scream at the top of thier lungs, this happened at some damn crutial moments in the 8th yeterday and really took away from the importance of the game. I mean last night was one of the best games of the year and that many people found it boring enough to warrant starting the wave.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
The random crowd noise is pretty distracting too. At just random times you'll have large groups of people just scream at the top of thier lungs, this happened at some damn crutial moments in the 8th yeterday and really took away from the importance of the game. I mean last night was one of the best games of the year and that many people found it boring enough to warrant starting the wave.

Ah ... More of the "draw attention to ourselves" crowd.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
Well, I've been to about 13 parks and from what I remember most of them would keep you on the concourse, especially some of the newer parks. I remember that PNC, Great American, Skydome, Petco and Yankee Stadium all do it for sure. Though Cinergy and Riverfront never did it, so it's sort of a new ballpark sort of thing I guess.

I've been to Houston (2), Cleveland, Detroit(2), Texas(2), St Louis, Cincy, Milwaukee, and obviously Chicago (2) and never have seen it. I stayed at the Skydome, but never actually saw a game there. We always called that stuff hockey rules because those are the only places we have ever seen it happen. I do love the idea and I wish they would implelment it everywhere.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
I've been to Houston (2), Cleveland, Detroit(2), Texas(2), St Louis, Cincy, Milwaukee, and obviously Chicago (2) and never have seen it. I stayed at the Skydome, but never actually saw a game there. We always called that stuff hockey rules because those are the only places we have ever seen it happen. I do love the idea and I wish they would implelment it everywhere.

Well of those parks, I've been to Jacobs field but I sat in the UD so I wasn't really sure what they do there, I never encountered it at Milwaukee or Detroit before, they never did it at old Busch but I did hear that they do it at new Busch. Cinergy never had it but the 1 time I went to Great American they did enfact hold people back, of course I also had great seats right near home plate, so that might have something to do with it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Well of those parks, I've been to Jacobs field but I sat in the UD so I wasn't really sure what they do there, I never encountered it at Milwaukee or Detroit before, they never did it at old Busch but I did hear that they do it at new Busch. Cinergy never had it but the 1 time I went to Great American they did enfact hold people back, of course I also had great seats right near home plate, so that might have something to do with it.

We sat out in RF at GAB next to the steamboat stacks in Cincy, and they didn't stop us at all. I have sat all over the place at the Jake as one of my best friends lives out there, and they do not do that there.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)
I completely agree with you. Normally I just roll my eyes when the wave starts but that's because the game is not very close. Last night the wave was in full effect during a critical time in the game. Everyone around us was completely focused on the wave while the tying runner was at the plate in the 8th. You can see everyone's attention turned to their right so they can wait and get ready for the wave to hit our section. They should have been looking straight ahead at the critical at bat. And whenever the wave made a full lap around the park the place went absolutely crazy with cheers louder than for any of the RBIs our guys hit. Was truly pathetic.

Additionally, after Thome, Konerko, and Dye were retired in the bottom of the 8th, 15% of the stadium got up and left. Why?!?! It was a 3-2 game. It was still early (9:30). The top of the A's order was going to be coming up in the 9th.

I have never felt so embarassed with the fans at our park like I was yesterday.

Chicks dig the long ball, and so do bandwagoners. I'm sure they assumed that would be it for the homers for the game with the big bats being retired, so they didn't care to stay.

The thing that irritates me the most is that fair-weather fans think you're a psycho if you get upset with their lack of attention for the game or their interfering with your viewing of the game. Fair-weather fans don't equate going to a game with watching and paying close attention to a baseball game. They equate it with socializing, never shutting up, and walking around in the rows to talk to people.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
They equate it with socializing, never shutting up, and walking around in the rows to talk to people.

I'll agree with that.

Saturday I randomly paused in between pitches and focused on the crowd noice. So much chatter going on, and you could just tell very little of it had anything to do with the game.

I literally don't talk to people during games and get teased a little for looking overly-focused.

Communication should be limited to spontaneous high-fives and incoherent screaming for big plays that your team makes.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
I'll agree with that.

Saturday I randomly paused in between pitches and focused on the crowd noice. So much chatter going on, and you could just tell very little of it had anything to do with the game.

I literally don't talk to people during games and get teased a little for looking overly-focused.

Communication should be limited to spontaneous high-fives and incoherent screaming for big plays that your team makes.

I'm very similar to you in this sense except I will discuss in game situations with the few people around me who actually give a damn about the game.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
I'll agree with that.

I'm pretty much the same way, except I'll say random things about players and plays throughout the game. If I have to get something to eat at some point, I always stare at the field while I'm waiting in line and I'm pretty sure it annoys people that I'm not moving fast enough.

At Friday's game, there was this short blonde girl that was drunk before the game even started. I swear this b**** never sat down once, and she kept walking up and down the row (not the aisle, but the row where people sit) to talk to people. She would not shut up and I wanted to clothesline her.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm very similar to you in this sense except I will discuss in game situations with the few people around me who actually give a damn about the game.

Definitely that too. It's also nice to sometimes meet a new person who's fairly knowledgeable about the game to share insight.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 06:05 AM)
Um, no. I love the full stadium and all but having a crowd that doesn't give a s*** about a close game in the 8th inning is sickening. I'm sure we could fill the stadium with people who can avoid standing every 60 seconds, there are plenty of people out there who would love to go to a game but can't because it's sold out lets get those people into the park to replace the asswipes who encourage the wave.

Yea and those stupid bastards made me have to buy a 27 dollar standing room only ticket......

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
Let me also point out that a crowd of 15 k that is going wild circa 2002 CAN be better than a sellout crowd doing the wave during key spots and such, so I agree with the premise.......however more people=more payroll, and I'll sacrifice a few bandwagoners in the park if it gives us more money to spend, ESPECIALLY with Kenny as GM since I know in that case the money will be spent wisely.

/ Agree