Mark Prior

AbeFroman

Who said this on the radio? I only ask because there people saying that Jenks lost 5-7 mph in spring training and those people were wrong. That said, with the Cub's season going the way it is I'm sure it's true.

Well if the velocity AND the uber calves are gone, I'd say maybe he's off the juice, however it could just be that's he's an injury prone pussy and his velocity is dying as a result.

QUOTE(G&T @ May 24, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Who said this on the radio?

The same guy from Baseball Prospectus that broke the story this spring that Prior was injured and the Cubs were hiding it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
The same guy from Baseball Prospectus that broke the story this spring that Prior was injured and the Cubs were hiding it.

That guy has earned my trust. Meanwhile, if Prior doesn't come back there's gonna be a firesale for over priced old guys on the northside.

I don't know how the Cubs would have a firesale. Maddux has lost 4 in a row, is 40, and probably will retire after this year (although it is the last of his contract), Pierre is also in a contract year but his RBI total is equal to pitcher Ricky Nolasco and he has an OBP lower than Brian Anderson, nobody would take Jacque Jones, they'd never trade Wood, Zambrano, Prior (although he has no value anyways right now), Lee, Barrett, Ramirez, Murton, or Cedeno.

The only guy I could see them trading and getting anything for is Walker, and it would be fitting since he's one of the very few guys they have with patience at the dish. They also have bullpen arms, but they won't trade Eyre, Howry, or Dempster, and even if they wanted to they all have overpaid deals as well. Cubs are in a REALLY, REALLY bad spot right now in terms of on the field, and in a lot of ways.

I think they should start with Howry and Eyre and see what they can get. This team won't be competitive for a few years and they are only going to get older. They'll have to take on some of the salary but so what.

I don't see why Ramirez is untouchable at this point, someone might take Prior just because he might be able to pitch, and Wood leaves as a free agent.

There's no question that they will have to take on a lot of salary to get good prospects, but I don't see how they have a choice if they want to be competitive in this decade. Unless they don't care...

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
Is it just me or does every semi-decent pitcher that has ever pitched in MLB baseball come across a time in his career where there are radio reports of him losing a ton of velocity? And every time it turns out to be BS.

There are lots of reports, and I would say they are accurate more often than not. In this case, however, Carroll has a good contact within the Cubs organization. He's been right on the money with his reports on them, specifically Prior, so I'm inclined to believe him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
I dont see why Ramirez would be untouchable?

Well he has a big salary of 10.5 million per, is injury prone, an erratic fielder, can't run, and is hitting .240 or so right now. If that isn't untouchable I don't know what is :).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Well he has a big salary of 10.5 million per, is injury prone, an erratic fielder, can't run, and is hitting .240 or so right now. If that isn't untouchable I don't know what is :).

That's untradeable. Untouchable is designated by the current team.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
That's untradeable. Untouchable is designated by the current team.

Haha you have been "Kalapse'd", as they say apparently....which is cool since I'm not near the greatness in sarcasm Kalapse is. :)

Ramirez is indeed untradeable of course, nobody wants an injury prone 10.5 million dollar making 3rd baseman who all of a sudden can't hit for average and has no speed and erratic fielding tendencies.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
I still have no idea what Prior's injury is exactly? All I hear is vague s*** like:

Shoulder soreness, or tenderness in his arm, or a tight elbow.

WTF is wrong with him?

Thats the million dollar question, my friend. If you find the answer to that, then you become the Man.

If Aramis can get white hot like he did for a time last year, the Cubs should immediately unload his ass to the first team that hits them up asking about Ramirez. His defense has improved a bit since he's been with the Cubs and when he's on he's one of the most prolific offensive threats at 3B in bigs. They should be able to get a nice package for him even with his current contract situation.

If Aramis can get white hot like he did for a time last year, the Cubs should immediately unload his ass to the first team that hits them up asking about Ramirez. His defense has improved a bit since he's been with the Cubs and when he's on he's one of the most prolific offensive threats at 3B in bigs. They should be able to get a nice package for him even with his current contract situation.

Ramirez has an escape clause in his deal. I'll bet he voids it and demands an Adrain Beltre-esque deal. He's put up better numbers than Beltre.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Ramirez has an escape clause in his deal. I'll bet he voids it and demands an Adrain Beltre-esque deal. He's put up better numbers than Beltre.

He's been 1,000,000X more productive and consistent than Beltre over the course of his career. He'll pick up an even larger contract than $64M over 5 with a $7M signing bonus.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)

Thus far, he's having an Adrian Beltre-esque season, so why not get a Beltre like contract? (And by a Beltre-esque season, I'm excluding 04.)

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
He's put up better #'s than Beltre throughout his career.

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that this season, you don't have to do to much to put up better numbers than Beltre's .211 Batting average, and Ramirez is doing better with his whopping .234 BA.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
I heard on the radio that he maxed his fastball out in the MID 80'S!!!

He hasn't really had time to build up strength in his arm this year, so that may be part of it. I'm not convinced that he'll be maxing out at 85 for the rest of his career.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
He hasn't really had time to build up strength in his arm this year, so that may be part of it. I'm not convinced that he'll be maxing out at 85 for the rest of his career.

So you're saying that 3 games from now when he needs his next surgery his velocity will have returned?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)

I’m not doubting the fact that Aramis will start showing some improvement at the plate. June hasn’t even begun, meaning that there’s still 4 months of baseball to play. If he can get hot, than he can definitely carry a team for some while.