Suspensions Coming Down Friday

Kyyle23

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca25.html

A Major League Baseball official in New York confirmed Wednesday that disciplinary action against the key combatants in the Cubs-White Sox brawl last weekend will be announced Friday morning.

Though Pierzynski said he never was told why he was ejected -- and umpires refused to address their reasoning with reporters -- he also could be suspended, judging by recent cases.

Barrett should get 10 games. Pierzynski's fate rests on his reputation -- he's cooked, if that's the case -- and Watson's interpretation of his actions after bowling over Barrett, a hit that all parties, including Barrett, agree was clean

It sucks that Pierzynski's "reputation" seems to be dictating his forthcoming suspension. That is total hypocrisy. If anyones reputation should be coming into question, it should have been Barrett's from the start with his s***-talking after his team is losing act.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
How the f*** do you suspend someone for getting punched?

It seems some folks interpereted AJ's path from the plate to his helmet as lowering a shoulder into Barrett.

I personally find that sad and delusional, kind of like people who think the Cubs lose because of a goat. But that, combined with his reputation, means he will get some small suspension to appease the other teams in the league. It sucks.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
It seems some folks interpereted AJ's path from the plate to his helmet as lowering a shoulder into Barrett.

I personally find that sad and delusional, kind of like people who think the Cubs lose because of a goat. But that, combined with his reputation, means he will get some small suspension to appease the other teams in the league. It sucks.

It doesn't suck...its absolutely ridiculous. When you plow over someone like that, there is no way you can rationally think that going to get your helmet is/was trying to provoke Barrett to grab him and punch him. Any person with half of a brain, and apparently that is hard to find now-a-days, can tell that AJ was obviously lowering the left side of his body to try and abstain from making contact with Barrett. I guarantee if they suspend him it will be for provoking the crowd after the fight, but how can you blame someone who gets fired up after so totally pwning their opponents they decide they have to punch you in the face to get even.

I'm just praying that Watson is taking his time and actually rules fairly in this situation, but who am I kidding...

Guest JimH

One of the papers today said MLB is looking very closely at what Joey Cora did during the brawl. I fully expect Brian Anderson to get at least 3 games and it wouldn't shock me to see Pierzynski get a token 2 games for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and then an appeal process.

It's not always the case but in these bench clearing situations normall guys from both sides get suspended, even if one team is the instigator.

Barrett should get at least 5 and I think Derek Lee is in line for a suspension for coming onto the field while being on the DL ... not that his suspension will matter.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
One of the papers today said MLB is looking very closely at what Joey Cora did during the brawl. I fully expect Brian Anderson to get at least 3 games and it wouldn't shock me to see Pierzynski get a token 2 games for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and then an appeal process.

It's not always the case but in these bench clearing situations normall guys from both sides get suspended, even if one team is the instigator.

Barrett should get at least 5 and I think Derek Lee is in line for a suspension for coming onto the field while being on the DL ... not that his suspension will matter.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lee coming on the field. He may get something too, you are right.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
It doesn't suck...its absolutely ridiculous. When you plow over someone like that, there is no way you can rationally think that going to get your helmet is/was trying to provoke Barrett to grab him and punch him. Any person with half of a brain, and apparently that is hard to find now-a-days, can tell that AJ was obviously lowering the left side of his body to try and abstain from making contact with Barrett. I guarantee if they suspend him it will be for provoking the crowd after the fight, but how can you blame someone who gets fired up after so totally pwning their opponents they decide they have to punch you in the face to get even.

I'm just praying that Watson is taking his time and actually rules fairly in this situation, but who am I kidding...

Hey man, I agree. Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just stating what I believe will happen, not what I think is right.

Guest JimH
I think Pods will get a 3 gamer too.

That's probably right Yas, Pods was in the thick of things even though he was just sticking up for a teammate and didn't appear to throw punches, he basically just grabbed Barrett. But I agree with you, I bet both he and Anderson get nailed on this ... Anderson for sure.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Hey man, I agree. Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just stating what I believe will happen, not what I think is right.

Yeah I didnt mean to use your quote like that, but more as a point of em-PHA-sis sorry :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)

I will use my post from another thread to give my take....

AJ didn't put his shoulder in to him. Come on people. AJ's explanation is the only logical one here. You can tell he was surprised when Barrett grabbed him. Even more surprised when Barrett punched him. You can see AJ's lips never moved and Barretts do. Barrett has conveniently left that out when describing his events. AJ got up to get his helmet and Barrett got up right in his line and AJ moved his shoulder to avoid him. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for AJ to get up after that play, and go over to bump Barrett. I mean come on. Can't people use common sense. Not to mention if AJ wanted to hit Barrett, which once again makes no f***in sense, he's not going to turn his shoulder to graze him.

Also, what has been left out was when Baker was interviewed during the game he was asked about the fight. He said something like Michael, told me he didn't have the ball and I told him it was a clean play.

AFTER the game Barrett came with this story about AJ coming at him. That was never the issue...he was pissed he got rolled, wrongly pissed at that, and he clocked AJ and said "I didn't havbe the ball b****." Hopefully they look at that Baker interview cause I don't think Baker ever said....Michael felt threatened when AJ got up...it was all about the play.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2006 -> 06:54 AM)

Contreras hit the field while on the DL as well (he didn't come off the DL until the next day.)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
IMO the suspensions will go down like this:

Anderson: 5 games

Cora: 3 games

AJ: Nothing

Contreras: 5 games

Pods: Nothing

Barrett: 10 games

Lee: 3-5 games

Mabry: 1 game

I agree on all but Pods. He'll get 1-3 games.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
IMO the suspensions will go down like this:

Anderson: 5 games

Cora: 3 games

AJ: Nothing

Contreras: 5 games

Pods: Nothing

Barrett: 10 games

Lee: 3-5 games

Mabry: 1 game

Why Contreras 5 and Lee 3-5?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)

I really don't think the league will come down on Pods, I actually believe they'll have a moment of clarity and feel that his actions were justied. Barrett on the other hand, I believe will be made an example of.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 25, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)

I'm not sure about Pods...yeah he did a lot, but he was also RIGHT THERE when it happened, it's not like he was coming out of the dugout, AJ was sucker punched right in front of him, what was he supposed to do, nothing?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Because Contreras is a starting pitcher. A 3 games suspension would have no effect as far as his pitching status.

Exactly, a 3 game suspension is about equal to a 5 game for a SP, though it's still a little sqewed towards the position player simply because it just knocks back a SP 1 game.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I really don't think the league will come down on Pods, I actually believe they'll have a moment of clarity and feel that his actions were justied. Barrett on the other hand, I believe will be made an example of.

I believe they'll give him one game if they feel that he intended to just hold Barrett. If they believe he intended a take down, then 3 games.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm not sure about Pods...yeah he did a lot, but he was also RIGHT THERE when it happened, it's not like he was coming out of the dugout, AJ was sucker punched right in front of him, what was he supposed to do, nothing?

Exactly, his actions in the eyes of everyone I've come across have been viewed as justified and I'm hoping the league will feel the same way. If Pods had just stood there and done nothing then he should have been suspended for being a pussy and not sticking up for his teammate.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)

For starters, since he felt compelled he could have (should have) stepped in between them without grabbing MB by the throat...

QUOTE(Steff @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
For starters, since he felt compelled he could have (should have) stepped in between them without grabbing MB by the throat...

Whoa. I missed that piece of info. Didn't see it.