Intriguing Week Ahead...

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(soxhawks @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
Detroit hasn't played anyone, and when they played us we already swept em.

I like your sig... and you are right. The tigers haven't really had a tough schedule. They should be able to beat the Royals like they are

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
The White Sox just have to take care of business and win at least 93 games. 90% of the time, that will make the playoffs. And in the playoffs, anything can happen.

I think the Sox are good enough to win it all, and I think they're very well suited to a playoff series against anyone.

But it isn't good that the Tigers are so good. Although I'd be happy to have two Central teams in the Playoffs and watch either Boston or New York sit the playoffs out.

According to ESPN, the Tigers have played a tougher schedule than we have. In fact, according to ESPN, we've played THE easiest schedule in all of baseball so far this season based on SOS (30/30). The Tigers' schedule hasn't been too tough either at 26/30.

the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi?sortColumn=sos

Edited by maggliopipe

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
The White Sox just have to take care of business and win at least 93 games. 90% of the time, that will make the playoffs. And in the playoffs, anything can happen.

I don't feel like I'm stepping too far out on a limb when I say 93 wins will not make the playoff in the Sox situation. (It might work for one of the AL West teams, but that won't fly in the central or for the WC)

Baseball Prospectus currently has 101 wins as the average wins needed to take the AL Central, and 94.7 (so let's say 95) wins to take the AL Wild Card.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ May 25, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
According to ESPN, the Tigers have played a tougher schedule than we have. In fact, according to ESPN, we've played THE easiest schedule in all of baseball so far this season based on SOS (30/30). The Tigers' schedule hasn't been too tough either at 26/30.

the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi?sortColumn=sos

You know, it's really hard for the top teams in baseball to have a difficult strenght of schedule...because they never get to play themselves. You know why the Royals are so high up on that list? Because they've had to play what, 7, 8 games a piece against the top 2 teams in the league.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 26, 2006 -> 03:51 AM)
You know, it's really hard for the top teams in baseball to have a difficult strenght of schedule...because they never get to play themselves. You know why the Royals are so high up on that list? Because they've had to play what, 7, 8 games a piece against the top 2 teams in the league.

Well there's certainly some validity to that, but tallying up the position of our opponents within their division right now, it looks like this:

vs 1st place teams: 3 games

vs 2nd place teams: 3 games

vs 3rd place teams: 13 games

vs 4th place teams: 12 games

vs 5th place teams: 15 games

Of course we're a tough team and us beating up on these bad teams has some bearing on their relative s***tiness, but it can't entirely account for this. We have played a very easy schedule. So have the Tigers.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ May 25, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Of course we're a tough team and us beating up on these bad teams has some bearing on their relative s***tiness, but it can't entirely account for this. We have played a very easy schedule. So have the Tigers.

Well, 3 of our n ext 4 opponents have winning records, and the 4th is the Tribe, so it is closing in on time for that to change. Happily, our pitching staff looks like it's sinking towards a groove right now, so we'll see what we can do now.

Say what you want, the Tigers are good.

Good for them to take care of the inept Royals 4 straight in KC when we go in

there and can't win the series.

I'll still take the Sox over Det., but I have a feeling Detroit is a playoff team.

Chi and Detroit are both going to make the playoffs edging out Bos or NY.

I really like that the Tigers are this good. see what happened last year late in the season when the Sox had a 15 game lead.. they started losing.. then the Indians got close, and they started taking care of business again.. This year, no time to lay back, they're gonna have to kick it high gear all year, which could lead to some very very big numbers. I'm excited, and very proud that we've got a team contending so highly in the AL Central, which I believe to be the most competitive division in baseball.

Part of Detroit's record this season has been built going against the AL Central's bottom two teams. They are 7-2 vs. the Minnesota Twins and 8-0 vs. Kansas City, including a 13-8 win vs. the Royals on Thursday, giving the Tigers their big-league high 20th road win this season.

That statement says alot IMO. Yeah, you can dissect any teams schedule like this, but it holds true. They are only 18-13 outside of dominating those 2 s***ty teams. Just hold on tight, fellow Sox fans. Things will sort themselves out.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 26, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
That statement says alot IMO. Yeah, you can dissect any teams schedule like this, but it holds true. They are only 18-13 outside of dominating those 2 s***ty teams. Just hold on tight, fellow Sox fans. Things will sort themselves out.

Exactly

Detroit will s*** themselves.. ide bet Kalapses life on it

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 26, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)

So that's about 33% of their games so far they've played against 2 fairly bad teams so far. They've only played 2 games against the AL East, which has 3 teams over .500 in Boston, New York and Toronto. If they have a good record against the AL East in the future, then yeah, they're for real.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 26, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
I'd also bet the Tigers will be active players around the trade deadline, with some tantalizing young talent to bargain with.

IIRC their main trading chips from the farm will be Cameron Maybin (toolsy H.S OF) and Kyle Sleeth a RHSP.

There's no way they'll be trading Zumaya or Verlander.

But Dombromski should play his cards right and not put all of his eggs into 1 basket and go for the whole thing this season. With that young talent they've got, they could be around like Cleveland for the next few seasons.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2006 -> 03:44 AM)
IIRC their main trading chips from the farm will be Cameron Maybin (toolsy H.S OF) and Kyle Sleeth a RHSP.

There's no way they'll be trading Zumaya or Verlander.

But Dombromski should play his cards right and not put all of his eggs into 1 basket and go for the whole thing this season. With that young talent they've got, they could be around like Cleveland for the next few seasons.

I think Zumaya could be used in a trade for Willis, no doubt.