Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
A bigger issue is our team, which is a lot faster, is playing a slow tempo right now. They are letting the Czechs set the tone of this game (and the Czechs helped that out by scoring early) but the US is now letting it happen.

I have said this a bunch of times before. To play a powerful offense like the Czechs you need to attack them. You need to make them run and play defense.

But when I saw that our defense included someone who cant play D, a geriatric player who was getting shown up by Crap in qualifying.

Why is EJ who scored a lot of our goals in qualifying on the bench. Why is Bocanegra who plays back for Fulham FC sitting on the bench.

And its nice to see the primadona Donovan getting shown up on international level again. I am glad he needed to come back and play in the MLS so he could be a big fish in a small pond instead of playing against world class players.

In 2010. Pick only international players, not this MLS crap that cant compete.

And it looks like we are playing a 4-5-1. We should be playing a 3-5-2 like we did in the last world cup.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
I have said this a bunch of times before. To play a powerful offense like the Czechs you need to attack them. You need to make them run and play defense.

But when I saw that our defense included someone who cant play D, a geriatric player who was getting shown up by Crap in qualifying.

Why is EJ who scored a lot of our goals in qualifying on the bench. Why is Bocanegra who plays back for Fulham FC sitting on the bench.

And its nice to see the primadona Donovan getting shown up on international level again. I am glad he needed to come back and play in the MLS so he could be a big fish in a small pond instead of playing against world class players.

In 2010. Pick only international players, not this MLS crap that cant compete.

And it looks like we are playing a 4-5-1. We should be playing a 3-5-2 like we did in the last world cup.

Donovan hasn't been bad in this game, problem is we just aren't pushing it. ANd I agree, against a team like the Czechs we should be attacking them like crazy and force the issue for them to play defense. One problem is they are now pretty much keeping an extra man back, making it tougher, but the US speed should still be able to get some opportunities.

As far as our D goes, they have made some fundementally stupid mistakes, resulting in that 2nd goal (although you also have to tip your hat cause that was an awesome shot). I question why Beasley is playing on the right side, he's so much better on the left.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Donovan hasn't been bad in this game, problem is we just aren't pushing it. ANd I agree, against a team like the Czechs we should be attacking them like crazy and force the issue for them to play defense. One problem is they are now pretty much keeping an extra man back, making it tougher, but the US speed should still be able to get some opportunities.

As far as our D goes, they have made some fundementally stupid mistakes, resulting in that 2nd goal (although you also have to tip your hat cause that was an awesome shot). I question why Beasley is playing on the right side, he's so much better on the left.

In the 2nd half, EJ needs to pair up with McBride up front. Donovan needs to drop to attacking mid. Beasley needs to move to the left. Pope needs to retire. And bocanegra needs to appear.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
In the 2nd half, EJ needs to pair up with McBride up front. Donovan needs to drop to attacking mid. Beasley needs to move to the left. Pope needs to retire. And bocanegra needs to appear.

Bocanegra played really sloppy. This is tough, especially if we lose by more than 1, since that will really hurt us in terms of Goal differential if we need it as a tiebreaker.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
Actually, I think the US would benefit most from a 4-4-2. With an offense like the Czechs, they need that extra defender and that's where Bocanegra could slip in.

When we beat Portugal who had a similiar offense in 02, we used a 3-5-2. We ran their asses off, smashed the box with lots of large bodies and took the game to them. We have fast enough defensive mids that they can drop back in the counter.

After this WC, hopefully they fire Bruce Arena and his non attacking style. And give whatever money is required to lure HIddink here. Let him coach a club team also in Europe. Who cares, he makes teams better.

Arena loves old players, he is the Dusty Baker of Soccer. A 4-5-1 formation, who the f*** uses that with the talent we dont have.

Even if they can't battle back, it will be big to get some positive momentum in the 2nd half and build upon things so they are ready for Game 2.

But hopefully we can find some offense, play strong defensively and eventually find ourselves back in this game.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
We are making two substitutions and have changed our setup as well. Johnson is coming in and he's really fast and O'Brien is also coming in.

This should of happened from the start.

EJ and Mcbride up front, Donovan in attacking mid.

OBrien is a good distributor of the ball. He should of been in the lineup. But he didnt play for DC United so.....

And here is a tip to the US. Start passing the f***ing ball on the ground. Going in the air with a team that is taller than you is dumb.

Now a 3-5-2 is organized. Now f***ing attack. You have nothing to lose.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
This should of happened from the start.

EJ and Mcbride up front, Donovan in attacking mid.

OBrien is a good distributor of the ball. He should of been in the lineup. But he didnt play for DC United so.....

And here is a tip to the US. Start passing the f***ing ball on the ground. Going in the air with a team that is taller than you is dumb.

Now a 3-5-2 is organized. Now f***ing attack. You have nothing to lose.

O'Brien isn't in good enough shape to play the entire game, imo. If he was he wouldn't have been on the bench.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
can I get audio anywhere guys?

ESPN.com??? or maybe espnradio.com

Reyna gets a yellow card on a slide tackle.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
Should have been number 3 right there.

From that angle no way does that go in, Keller was right there if he got the shot down.

We've turned the ball over and played so sloppy. Its f***ing gross.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
From that angle no way does that go in, Keller was right there if he got the shot down.

We've turned the ball over and played so sloppy. Its f***ing gross.

My posts was from a couple plays ago. The Czechs had a guy open right in front of the net with no onw in front of him. He put a shot, but it was straight on the goal for an easy save.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
That shoul dhave been a goal. Our f***ing defense parted and left him with a wide open shot.

Geeze we look like piss.

They should of given Spector a shot at making this team. At least he will be on the 2010 team.

He can defend players in the Premiership, yet he gets passed on to put in a geriatric guy who cant defend MLSers.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
They should of given Spector a shot at making this team. At least he will be on the 2010 team.

He can defend players in the Premiership, yet he gets passed on to put in a geriatric guy who cant defend MLSers.

Pope is hurt, going to stay in.

About 20 minutes left.