Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donovan gets something started and a great save by the Czech goalie, I think we'd have had a gaol on that one.

Finally some good ball movement and opportunities the past couple minutes. Probably too little too late, but its nice to see them doing something.

Roseki puts it out of reach with his 2nd goal, 3-0.

f***. We stand around the whole f***ing game and that was a nice pass and we are toast.

Going to have to win these next two otherwise its gonna be really rough. What a piece of s*** performance, yet another sport the US need to be f***ing embarassed with in terms of the way they played.

I could give a crap about the result, but the way they played (piss poor with a lack of effort) is f***ing disgraceful.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
s***.

Josh Wolf being on a world cup roster is the alarm. He might of been good enough to make the 02 roster, but he was hurt. He is over now.

3-0. See yah. Back to baseball.

Note to Arena on your next job. Dont select players based on the fact that they played for you at DC United. Thank you.

Eddie Lewis is not a defender. Point Proven.

Edited by southsideirish71

So much for the MLS producing class.

Time to send our best players to Europe for the next 4 years so they can prepare against good players instead of playing against 38 year old retiring Ukrainians trying to make a buck in the twighlight of their career.

"I don't think the US was prepared for this." God, even that sounds too polite. This has been easily the worst performance I've seen in this WC. Roseki hit the ball well both times, but damn, why don't you just give him a tee if you're gonna wait that long to get on him?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
This just goes to show how s***ty FIFA rankings are.

More so how s***ty the US played. And i think SSI is onto something when he mentions how our top players all are staying locally to play in the less talented MLS. Because of that our players raen't able to get better. We are one of the most athletic teams in the country and played a slow tempo style that really was ugly.

We are a far better team than that, but we may have just dug ourselves into too deep of a hole.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
We are one of the most athletic teams in the country and played a slow tempo style that really was ugly.

For all our athleticism, we looked MUCH slower than the Czechs today. I don't think it was just the style -- we kept getting beat to ball, trapped by aggressive charges, the defense was run through and gave everyone an hour to collect themselves for the shot. That was the most surprising thing to me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
More so how s***ty the US played. And i think SSI is onto something when he mentions how our top players all are staying locally to play in the less talented MLS. Because of that our players raen't able to get better. We are one of the most athletic teams in the country and played a slow tempo style that really was ugly.

We are a far better team than that, but we may have just dug ourselves into too deep of a hole.

We are not an athetic team. Beasley is coming off of a serious injury he suffered in the club season, he is a shadow of himself out there.

We are playing a bunch of older players that have been injuried for qualifying and havent gotten a lot of time to play together. JOB hasnt been 100% healthy since he was in his early 20s. Reyna got hurt for the last part of qualifying.

We have a guy named Johnson that has scored a ton of goals since he started playing for the US in qualifying. Where does he start on the bench.

We play a 4-5-1 which lends to no creativity. We got stoned by Morrocco on the send off playing a 4-5-1.

Eddie Lewis is not a defender. But he is one of Bruces pets. So he starts and it costs us.

In 02 we had a solid back line. This year its swiss cheese.

Keller is not a athetically talented goalie. Our best talent is Howard who spend most of his time on the bench this year. Marcus is another talent but he is not gifted physically as Howard. Howard would of stopped the first goal at least. The rest would of went in.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
For all our athleticism, we looked MUCH slower than the Czechs today. I don't think it was just the style -- we kept getting beat to ball, trapped by aggressive charges, the defense was run through and gave everyone an hour to collect themselves for the shot. That was the most surprising thing to me.

Ya, they played tenative and did a lot of standing. I do think they really lost a lot of confidence falling behind 1-0 very ealry on. Its not like our guys don't have cup experience, so we really don't have an excuse. I still say we have the talent to get out of this group, but it will be really tough now.

In 4 years time we should be an even bigger cup contender and even if we totally tank this year, I know the talent is there and I think we'll see a far sharper match next week.

Our defense really sucked though, as bad as the offense was, our defense gave up 2 goals on horrid plays and the 3rd goal we made another mistake where we had the opportunity to tackle him in the open field and didn't.

Holy s***. Alexi Lalas laying the smacketh down on Eric Wynalda.

Wynalda is making the excuse that the team was inexperienced and nervous and Lalas comes back with a "Don't complain about inexperience. Experience is what we've been talking about the whole time!"

I like Alexi Lalas. BTW, doesn't the US have the most or 2nd most returning players from the last World Cup?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Ya, they played tenative and did a lot of standing. I do think they really lost a lot of confidence falling behind 1-0 very ealry on. Its not like our guys don't have cup experience, so we really don't have an excuse. I still say we have the talent to get out of this group, but it will be really tough now.

In 4 years time we should be an even bigger cup contender and even if we totally tank this year, I know the talent is there and I think we'll see a far sharper match next week.

Our defense really sucked though, as bad as the offense was, our defense gave up 2 goals on horrid plays and the 3rd goal we made another mistake where we had the opportunity to tackle him in the open field and didn't.

We had 2 shots on goal for the game.

We gave up a long range goal.

But on the good news. After this dismal effort Bruce is going to go away, and maybe we can hire someone outside of the US that can teach an attacking creative brand of football.

We seriously need to work on our finishing. It has never been that good. If you watch world class teams, when they strike on the ball it travels near the net. When we strike on the ball, its a field goal or way way wide right or left. Too bad we missed out on Jurgen Klinsman. He would of been great.