Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, I'm no soccer expert, but here's my view on the game.

1. Our first touches are horrible. No control, which leads to a bad possession.

2. They were very tentative when within CR territory, especially Convey

3. We don't have much size at all, headers are almost always less than 50-50 for us.

When you combine all that, we didn't belong on the field today.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Oh my god. Wynalda just said "Gigi Buffoon." And while on the subject of goalkeepers, everyone want's to blame the new ball. GMAB.

Every world cup they introduce some new ball that has a better flight to bring goal scoring up. They did it in the last WC.

How about our defenders mark their men close and tight without fouling them. That an keeping the ball in the midfield or on the other side is a good way also.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
We had 2 shots on goal for the game.

We gave up a long range goal.

But on the good news. After this dismal effort Bruce is going to go away, and maybe we can hire someone outside of the US that can teach an attacking creative brand of football.

We seriously need to work on our finishing. It has never been that good. If you watch world class teams, when they strike on the ball it travels near the net. When we strike on the ball, its a field goal or way way wide right or left. Too bad we missed out on Jurgen Klinsman. He would of been great.

I definitely agree with you on the striking front. Our guys seem to be able to create some decent chances, but not finish them. We don't put the ball in the net as well as some of these other teams with elite offensive players. When Johnson is on, he's pretty dangerous, but he generally seems to be about it. Guys like Donovan, Beasly, and Adu (for the future) have to seriously work on their shooting ability. If those guys can't consistently be goal scoring threats (or if another striker doesn't emerge), we're always going to have problems against the real teams.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Well then, there ya have it sports fans.

I don't understand what you mean by this?

The US is ranked 5th. It wasn't supposed to be a blowout.

Italy/Ghana underway.

Toni booms one off the crossbar. And no, Reyna's shot was not off the crossbar. It was off the post.

Ghana now has the momentum but they have missed like 5 opportunities in a row. Pappoe was by himself and hits it 15 feet over the net. And Kingston with a huge save off Toni!

Edited by SoxFan1

Goal by Pirlo! The free kick king! When they said that the ball is more aerodynamic and would move more in the air, the 1st player I thought of was Andrea Pirlo.

Looks like Gilardino tipped it possibly. 1-0 Italy.

This game reminds me a lot of the Serbia/Netherlands game. Serbia had better chances but the Netherlands was able to capitalize. Italy capitalized.

Of course, a US update at halftime.

Edited by SoxFan1

On the US, the disparity of talent was evident.

The Americans lacked creativity in the midfield, it's too bad O'Brien isn't fit because he has that skill.

Beaseley was awful today... as was mentioned earlier he is recovering from injury, still a very tough outing.

Johnson needs to be up front with McBride, he does not have the best first touch, but he actually creates.

The US lack of height on the front line is obvious, McBride is the only guy who brings anything aerially.

Donovan needs to go back overseas, if he is the best American, him playing in an inferior league stunts his development.

Gooch is a talented defender, but he played poorly today as well, his inexperience was evident.

Dissappointing opener, if the US can somehow beat Italy, they are back in the tournament.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
So for someone who knows nothing about soccer, is the US pretty much done already? If not, what do they have to do to advance?

They were hoping for a draw between Ghana and Italy but Italy pulls it out 2-0. They basically have to beat Italy and hope Ghana takes the Czech Republic or at least draws with them. And then they have to draw or beat Ghana and hope Italy and the Czech's beat up on eachother and don't draw. If it comes down to goal differential, they will be f***ed. If they win 1, lose 1, and draw 1, then it comes down to goal differential.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
So for someone who knows nothing about soccer, is the US pretty much done already? If not, what do they have to do to advance?

To be realistic, they have to beat Italy and Ghana to advance. If they go 2-0, they are a lock to move on, if they win 1 and tie 1....it would come down to goal differential, and the 3-0 loss today REALLY hurts in that regard. In all likelihood, they need to win the next 2. A win over Italy means beat Ghana and your advancing, and a loss to Italy means your done. A tie keeps them alive, but they'd need quite a bit of help.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
On the US, the disparity of talent was evident.

The US lack of height on the front line is obvious, McBride is the only guy who brings anything aerially.

Donovan needs to go back overseas, if he is the best American, him playing in an inferior league stunts his development.

Gooch is a talented defender, but he played poorly today as well, his inexperience was evident.

Dissappointing opener, if the US can somehow beat Italy, they are back in the tournament.

Donovan was in Germany a year ago. He was put on the bench, and then he cried, b****ed and moaned about being homesick, just like he did before. He played a terrible game in the champions cup where he basically disappeared and then shortly after that he was sent back. He wants to play here, to be the big fish in the small pond. He can dominate the local league and some Concacaf. But he will have problems in the big tourneys. He is also way too short to play F. He is a midfielder at best.

This team needs to develop a true number 10 player. A true midfielder that can distribute passes. JOB has been injuried so much its hard to count on him. And at his age this is his last WC.

Gooch will benefit from going to the Premiership. Playing English style defense is a help to any defender.

For the next WC we need to make sure that more and more of our players move on to play in Europe. The MLS doesnt have the strenght that it needs to develop a true world class player right now. All that we get are the retreads from Europe trying to keep playing well after their prime. And the college has beens, and never was.

Tim Howard needs to play everyday on a Premiership team. He is by far our most talented keeper in the long run. He is young, and in 4 years will have the best chance to be a true stopper.

We need to work on being creative overall. I would like to see the new coach for the US either be a motivational offensive visionary like Gus Hiddink or someone with a Brazilian/Portuguise background. I am a fan of either the 3-5-2 or the 4-4-2 system being used.

This country needs to learn how to pass the ball on the ground also. All I see in the MLS and in our national team is long kicks, volleys, and high passes. That works on the local level, but when you are playing against tall european players who can outjump you you are doomed.

In the long term US soccer needs to move its development to the inner city. Its a game that anyone can play, and it may attract a person who has the physical tools that are better than what we have, but may not be good enough to play football, basketball or baseball. We need to develop taller players, instead of the group of midgets we march out year after year on the national team. Our backline is starting to get taller, but we need our midfielders and strikers not to be 5'5.

For the prospects of beating Italy. We need to attack with EJ and McBride up front, Dovovan and JOB in the mddle. Beasley and Convey on the wings. And true defenders on the backline. No more of the hey I want to get this left footed player in the game. I think he can be a defender. And Pope needs to be on the bench. We need Tim Howard out in the net. That is the only way, if we even have a chance.

The funny thing is that everyone was all excited about the Freddy Adu era on how he is the next wunderkid. How we stole him from Ghana. He is young, but has been less than spectacular in the MLS. A few years older is a guy named Rossi. Born here in the US, moved to Italy when he was a teen. He is a machester united player who will get some starting time next year. The kid is a pure goal striker, and would help the team today to give us what we want a creative playmaker that can make a difference. However there is a problem, he wants to play for Italy. lets see who is better in the long run, Rossi or Adu. I am putting my money on Rossi.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
To be realistic, they have to beat Italy and Ghana to advance. If they go 2-0, they are a lock to move on, if they win 1 and tie 1....it would come down to goal differential, and the 3-0 loss today REALLY hurts in that regard. In all likelihood, they need to win the next 2. A win over Italy means beat Ghana and your advancing, and a loss to Italy means your done. A tie keeps them alive, but they'd need quite a bit of help.

2-0 doesnt necessarily make them a lock. If Ghana loses all 3 games, it is possible Czech Rep, Italy and the US can all go 2-1 meaning it would come down to goal differential. Not a likely scenario, but it is possible

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
In the long term US soccer needs to move its development to the inner city. Its a game that anyone can play, and it may attract a person who has the physical tools that are better than what we have, but may not be good enough to play football, basketball or baseball. We need to develop taller players, instead of the group of midgets we march out year after year on the national team. Our backline is starting to get taller, but we need our midfielders and strikers not to be 5'5.

These are both great points. US soccer development really needs to make its way into the inner cities in order increase the pool of talent they can draw from.

On the height issue, it works against the Central American countries that the US plays primarily because there is not a lot of height on those teams either, but only McBride can win a ball in the air on this team, and that is not going to work against European defenders. American soccer is still at least a decade away from being a true player on the international scene.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
Goal by Pirlo! The free kick king! When they said that the ball is more aerodynamic and would move more in the air, the 1st player I thought of was Andrea Pirlo.

Looks like Gilardino tipped it possibly. 1-0 Italy.

This game reminds me a lot of the Serbia/Netherlands game. Serbia had better chances but the Netherlands was able to capitalize. Italy capitalized.

Of course, a US update at halftime.

Why wouldn't there be a US update at halftime. If we were in Germany they would be giving constant updates of the German team.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
They were hoping for a draw between Ghana and Italy but Italy pulls it out 2-0. They basically have to beat Italy and hope Ghana takes the Czech Republic or at least draws with them. And then they have to draw or beat Ghana and hope Italy and the Czech's beat up on eachother and don't draw. If it comes down to goal differential, they will be f***ed. If they win 1, lose 1, and draw 1, then it comes down to goal differential.

Just beat Italy and Ghana and they should be in decent shape, correct?

I can understand SoxFan1's gripe a little, because the coverage we're getting down here is pretty good, they do have pre match, half time and full - time discussions etc.

As for irish71's thoughts on getting a foreign attacking manager, I couldn't agree more. Guus Hiddink has single handledly changed the fortunes of Australian Soccer. Unfortunately, he's signed a 4 year deal to manage Russia after this World Cup, so we'll be losing him, and you won't be able to get him.