Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
The Aussie player appears to move his shoulder in the replay in an attempt to trip the player.

It was not a bad call, it may have been a questionable call.

Atleast thats what I saw.

Was it necessarily a foul, no, but the player didn't get near the ball and put himself in a position that the Italy player (if he does things right) would be able to draw the foul and thats exactly what he did.

You can't put yourself in that position in soccer when your in the box.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Ya, he went from making excuses to flat out ripping the US team to shreds following the Ghana game. He was dead on too. He was sick of hearing excuses from Arena and called for the ouster of Arena. He was pretty harsh and Arena was being interviewed later on and pretty much was asked pointedly about the callings for his firing by the ESPN commentators (since they are former US soccer stars).

Lalas was awesome and his commentary where he would go off on Rynalda was great. Both really spoke there minds and they differed in opinions from time to time and it made great TV. I've been watching most of the games as I get to wake up to them out here on the West Coast and than catch WC live.

I also like the Euro analyst they've had on because you get a totally different perspective of things, since they won't have the US bias that our guys obviously will have.

We played fantastic against Italy, one of the best teams in this tourney so I see no reason why you shouldnt' be optimistic. The team was completely jobbed by s***ty officiating yet stuck in, played a man down and got a tie. It was a very impressive and gutsy performance, one in which Donovan actually showed up.

How was anyone supposed to know that Donovan would take a completely dive, our coach would be completely inept, and that Reyna (a so called veteran) would make rookie mistakes and f*** our chances. Its not like Ghana outplayed us, we had a s***ty call in the box and a dumbass play by Reyna aside from that the US didn't play bad against Ghana.

The Czech game was a complete f***ing joke though. Oh and Keller didn't step up and shine like one of the better goalies in the world is supposed to.

After watching Donovan and his pathetic display went he went back to Bayer Leverkusen I knew he would s*** the bed on the big stage. All he did is tell everyone, I will honor my contract with Leverkusen. Then just like he did when he was younger, he cried, b****ed and moaned about being homesick. And then to top it off, he played like s*** in a Champions League game against Liverpool. A few weeks later, he was sold back to the MLS. Landon was happy as hell, I was sickened.

Keller was never any good. Howard and Macrus have so much more talent, however our coach who loves his vets decided to go with experience instead of his best player. Hence why the Eddie Popes, and the rest of his DC United boys were on the team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Keller was never any good. Howard and Macrus have so much more talent, however our coach who loves his vets decided to go with experience instead of his best player. Hence why the Eddie Popes, and the rest of his DC United boys were on the team.

I totally agree with you about Keller. I don't know how anyone can call him a world class keeper when he's not even the best from his country. Gigi Buffon, Dida, Iker Casillas, Oliver Kahn, Petr Cech, and Edwin van der Sar...those are world class goalies. Tim Howard is so much better than Keller but he gets overlooked because he doesn't start at Man United and will probably be the best keeper ever to come out of the US.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
I totally agree with you about Keller. I don't know how anyone can call him a world class keeper when he's not even the best from his country. Gigi Buffon, Dida, Iker Casillas, Oliver Kahn, Petr Cech, and Edwin van der Sar...those are world class goalies. Tim Howard is so much better than Keller but he gets overlooked because he doesn't start at Man United and will probably be the best keeper ever to come out of the US.

Yeah Keller is not a world class keeper, that's pretty clear. The US soccer propaganda made him sound way better (Lalas saying best keeper in the world? Puh-lease!). However, it's going to be very hard for Howard to be the best keeper in US history IMO. Brad Friedel has been playing in England for a while and even won Premier League goalie of the year in 02/03. Right now, he's the best US keeper ever, and I don't think Tim Howard is good enough to take that away from him.

Sidenote: Not related to this World Cup specifically, but I found a website that has a lot of information on American soccer players playing abroad. Yanks Abroad has player profiles and a list of players playing overseas and even has info on some notable guys playing in MLS. I was reading up and was surprised to see the amount of guys, especially young players, playing in Europe. The future may be as promising as advertised. After you look at this site you'll probably be wondering why there are more than 2 or 3 MLS guys on the nats' roster.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
Yeah Keller is not a world class keeper, that's pretty clear. The US soccer propaganda made him sound way better (Lalas saying best keeper in the world? Puh-lease!). However, it's going to be very hard for Howard to be the best keeper in US history IMO. Brad Friedel has been playing in England for a while and even won Premier League goalie of the year in 02/03. Right now, he's the best US keeper ever, and I don't think Tim Howard is good enough to take that away from him.

Sidenote: Not related to this World Cup specifically, but I found a website that has a lot of information on American soccer players playing abroad. Yanks Abroad has player profiles and a list of players playing overseas and even has info on some notable guys playing in MLS. I was reading up and was surprised to see the amount of guys, especially young players, playing in Europe. The future may be as promising as advertised. After you look at this site you'll probably be wondering why there are more than 2 or 3 MLS guys on the nats' roster.

Plus Friedel was amazing for the US in the 2002 World Cup

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 06:20 AM)
I still say it's a penalty. You slide in the box and don't get the ball, you're usually screwed. Maybe Grosso accentuated the dive, but as I said before Neill dove in the box, missed the ball, and got the man.

The thing is, he did the slide tackle thinking Grollo was going to go to the byline, and his momentum had stopped. Grollo ran straight at Neill, Neill didn't really move at all, and Grolli ran into him. But we'll agree to disagree. But from what I've seen from experts etc. worldwide, most people are saying it was a terrible decision.

Now in the context of the game, 4 mins into injury time, you cannot really pay a penalty for that. 10 minutes before there was a clear handball in the opposing box by an Italian defender, but of course as it's been all tournament, we didn't get the call.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
I love watching this on Telemundo... thousand times better then the espn announcers....

¡¡¡¡¡¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! ¡¡¡PARA FRANCIA!!! ¡¡¡¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

Yep, I'm not sure why the announcing is so different. The passion levels run pretty high in both Latin America and Europe. American and Europen announcers are very laid back, almost boring.

Germany/Argentina is gona be awesome. IMO that's your final right there.

My picks:

Germany over Arg.

Ita. over Ukr.

Eng. (yuk) over a depleted Port. team

Bra. over Fra.

Germany over Ita.

Brazil stomps Eng.

Germany over Brazil for the Cup

Yours?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm surprised Argentina held on that long.

I didn't get your picks SSI71. Spill it.

I had Argentina over Germany so I lost on that one already.

Italy over Ukraine.

England over Portugal.

Brazil over France.

Italy over Argentina

Brazil over England

Brazil over Italy

Ronaldo gets golden boot, and by the next world cup he is 900lbs.