Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
The Czech's are going to impress. Don't say they looked good because it was the U.S. The Czechs are the 2nd best team in the world. Forget rankings, look at records and talent. The Czech's are amazing. They made the US look foolish because the US is overrated. The Czech's are for real.

Oh, and the Netherlands and Germany are both too inexperienced to compete with Brazil. Brazil played poorly and still won.

You actually think the Czechs are the 2nd best in the world? Wow, that's a hell of a reach.

The Germans have 8 players with 40+ caps and went to the last final. Inexperience?

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Croatia made Brazil look ordinary. They are beatable.

Italy are a shadow of their former self and Germany have a few old horses mixed in with some inexperienced youth, give them a few more years and they may be contenders. USA are just, well, USA. This is not your national sport, you don't have the quality in depth to compete at this level.....yet. Holland will do OK if they don't shoot themselves in the foot and Australia are flattering to deceive. Argentina will probably win if they catch Brazil playing the way they did today.

Now then England, well we ALLWAYS get of to a slow start and then improve and improve we will. I don't know where this image of chokers has come from, we've managed a couple of Quarter finals and a fourth place losing to Brazil, Argentina and Germany in recent tournaments. Admittedly we have gone out a number of times via penalty shoot outs, but these are a lottery ( and we did win the whole damn thing once ).

England has the best team in depth, unlike most teams that have some fantastic individual stars we have the best midfield in the tournament with Gerard, Beckham, Cole and Lampard. Our defence is strong, the goalie is class and if Rooney can come back in the later stages we'll have a forward line that will frighten any defence. Our only downside is our s***ty negative minded no bollocks, taught in Italy, Swedish - I won't show any soul - characterless manager. As I've said before, if the team can ignore him long enough and play their natural game.........we can win this.

Or Argentina will.

Or I could be completely wrong and be talking a whole lot of clap trap.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
If you could just get Scotland to join England's team, you might never lose.

Don't be daft. The reason there is no UK team is that it would be made up entirely of English players. The only non English British player that would have made it into England's team over the last few years is Ryan Giggs in his prime. He did play for England as a kid but was convinced to play for Wales as a senior, don't ask me how that happened, I was never consulted.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
Croatia made Brazil look ordinary. They are beatable.

Italy are a shadow of their former self and Germany have a few old horses mixed in with some inexperienced youth, give them a few more years and they may be contenders. USA are just, well, USA. This is not your national sport, you don't have the quality in depth to compete at this level.....yet. Holland will do OK if they don't shoot themselves in the foot and Australia are flattering to deceive. Argentina will probably win if they catch Brazil playing the way they did today.

Now then England, well we ALLWAYS get of to a slow start and then improve and improve we will. I don't know where this image of chokers has come from, we've managed a couple of Quarter finals and a fourth place losing to Brazil, Argentina and Germany in recent tournaments. Admittedly we have gone out a number of times via penalty shoot outs, but these are a lottery ( and we did win the whole damn thing once ).

England has the best team in depth, unlike most teams that have some fantastic individual stars we have the best midfield in the tournament with Gerard, Beckham, Cole and Lampard. Our defence is strong, the goalie is class and if Rooney can come back in the later stages we'll have a forward line that will frighten any defence. Our only downside is our s***ty negative minded no bollocks, taught in Italy, Swedish - I won't show any soul - characterless manager. As I've said before, if the team can ignore him long enough and play their natural game.........we can win this.

Or Argentina will.

Or I could be completely wrong and be talking a whole lot of clap trap.

Well, you sure as hell give a lot of credit to a team that one on an own goal against Paraguay.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
You actually think the Czechs are the 2nd best in the world? Wow, that's a hell of a reach.

The Germans have 8 players with 40+ caps and went to the last final. Inexperience?

Yes, the Czech's are the real deal. Thats not a reach at all. They have mastered their gameplan to a tee and have the talent to do so. Nevded, Koller, Rosicky, Cech, Ujfalusi, and Jankulovski. Don't forget, Milan Baros, one of their best players, didn't even play against the US.

And as far as the Germans, they have 4 players with under 10 caps and quite a few under 20-25.

Edited by SoxFan1

Croatia are really going to make us earn 2nd spot in group F.

I'll take a draw with them, and hope that they don't beat Japan by more than a 2 goal differential, so we can go through.

Luckily for us, if we do make it, we'll be playing Italy or the Czech Republic in the 2nd round though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Croatia are really going to make us earn 2nd spot in group F.

I'll take a draw with them, and hope that they don't beat Japan by more than a 2 goal differential, so we can go through.

Luckily for us, if we do make it, we'll be playing Italy or the Czech Republic in the 2nd round though.

Croatia did alot for themselves with just the one goal loss to Brazil. Even if they don't beat Japan by 2, I imagine Brazil will come out vs. the Aussies on Sunday with something to prove after their narrow victory.

Croatia-Australia will be a great match if a quarterfinals berth is on the line.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Don't be daft. The reason there is no UK team is that it would be made up entirely of English players. The only non English British player that would have made it into England's team over the last few years is Ryan Giggs in his prime. He did play for England as a kid but was convinced to play for Wales as a senior, don't ask me how that happened, I was never consulted.

My soccer credibility

[|||||||||| ] to [||| ]

just then.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Croatia did alot for themselves with just the one goal loss to Brazil. Even if they don't beat Japan by 2, I imagine Brazil will come out vs. the Aussies on Sunday with something to prove after their narrow victory.

Croatia-Australia will be a great match if a quarterfinals berth is on the line.

Yeah it will be. And there's a bit of extra spice to the game, because Croatia has a few players that could be easily playing for Australia instead like Josip Simunic the central defender.

Croatia's got an excellent defensive record, so they'll be tough to break down. I just hope Japan can pull out a draw with them.

England has always been overhyped in my mind. Maybe, that's my issue with them. That and I just don't like the English (with an English grandmother no less).

On another note I'm looking forward to the Ukraine Spain game tomorrow, I think it's a good matchup. Spain has been an anamoly on the international level and Ukraine has Shevchenko. It's a shame Tunisia-Saudi Arabia has to follow, that's not something I want on my tv.

f*** Bruce Arena. The prick needs to go. He went out and pretty much completely called out Beasley. I have no idea where Arena gets the balls to call out a guy who was placed completely out of position (that would be Arena's fault).

And Beasley's response was correct, there was quite a few ocassions where he was one of our lone players to come back and play defense and Beasley helping out on the defensive end probably saved another goal.

What a joke Arena is. He had a total cluster f*** of a lineup out there in game 1 and now he's going into a war with words over Beasley (who I guess is who he is going to use as his scapegoat).

Spain is looking dominant against Ukraine. And Raul isn't even on the pitch. :o

Bad, BAD call on the red card and penalty kick against Ukraine. Vashchuk sent off and Villa nails the PK to make it 3-0 Spain. Yikes.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Spain is looking dominant against Ukraine. And Raul isn't even on the pitch. :o

3-0 now, and the first penalty of the 2006 world cup has finally been taken. This game has potential to be really ugly now that Ukraine is down a man. Spain might be looking to take out all of their past World Cup frustrations out on this game.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
3-0 now, and the first penalty of the 2006 world cup has finally been taken. This game has potential to be really ugly now that Ukraine is down a man. Spain might be looking to take out all of their past World Cup frustrations out on this game.

Well, they added 1 more to make it a 4-0 Spain winner. Torres hit that ball hard.Shevchenko had 1 good chance and lost it when he couldn't control the ball. Overall, Ukarine played very bad. They had 3 total chance, the best when Casillas came out way too far and missed the ball. The Ukrainian striker couldn't put it in and Spain's defense was able to pick up the keeper. Great game by Spain.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
The Germany Poland game should be great later today. Saudi Arabia game is just getting ready to start up.

Germany might want some extra security... :huh:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/sports/world_cup_2006

Police arrest 40 Polish fans at World Cup

AP - 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

DORTMUND, Germany - Police arrested 40 Polish fans ahead of Wednesday's World Cup match between Germany and Poland, a sign they wouldn't tolerate trouble surrounding a game circled for its hooliganism potential. Four known hooligans were arrested near the soccer stadium and found to have knives after Polish police in town for the game pointed them out to German authorities, Dortmund police spokesman Georg Blaszyk said.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
Germany might want some extra security... :huh:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/sports/world_cup_2006

Police arrest 40 Polish fans at World Cup

AP - 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

DORTMUND, Germany - Police arrested 40 Polish fans ahead of Wednesday's World Cup match between Germany and Poland, a sign they wouldn't tolerate trouble surrounding a game circled for its hooliganism potential. Four known hooligans were arrested near the soccer stadium and found to have knives after Polish police in town for the game pointed them out to German authorities, Dortmund police spokesman Georg Blaszyk said.

The best part was that on World Cup Live (On ESPN) they were talking about the incident with the soccer houligans and apparently the Polish and German houligans had a practice fight just prior to the world cup.

A practice fight....what would Allen Iverson think of that :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)
f*** Bruce Arena. The prick needs to go. He went out and pretty much completely called out Beasley. I have no idea where Arena gets the balls to call out a guy who was placed completely out of position (that would be Arena's fault).

And Beasley's response was correct, there was quite a few ocassions where he was one of our lone players to come back and play defense and Beasley helping out on the defensive end probably saved another goal.

What a joke Arena is. He had a total cluster f*** of a lineup out there in game 1 and now he's going into a war with words over Beasley (who I guess is who he is going to use as his scapegoat).

Bruce was going to use this world cup to get him a sweet club deal. Well now that isnt going to happen, unless he wants to coach the New York Red Bulls. In the last World Cup we played a 4-4-2 in qualifying and then went to an attack minded 3-5-2. We shocked Portugal by just going for their throats in the first game. Before they knew it, we were up. In this world cup, Bruce who is conservative and isnt a good offensive coach, decided to lay in the weeds by launching a 4-5-1 formation. Thats nice if you have a super play making Forward, but we dont. All that the 4-5-1 did was to have our players bunker down on defense and he was hoping for a draw. His goal in this world cup was to draw the Czecks, and draw the Italians and go for a win with Ghana. This is a piss poor way of playing European teams. Beasley is hardly the scapegoat, he is coming off of a serious injury that doesnt allow him to accelerate like he did before. He is playing on the wrong side of the pitch, and should be coming off the bench right now with how his injury is. Having Donovan play as a forward is a bad thing also. Donovan is a playmaker, but not an up front striker. He should be running free up the field, and distributing to EJ and to McBride near the goal mouth. Dempsey should be starting on the right side right now. And Bocanegra, Pope, and Gooch should be our backline with Howard in goal. BTW Keller is now 0-4 in World Cup games. Italy plays a better defense than the Czechs, they have some good forward play, their midfield is not as good as the Czechs. The key is to attack them and make them bunker down. If you let their forwards get free to run, we are screwed.

When the 4-5-1 led to a 1-0 Victory over the minows of Lativa, a 2-0 over the terrible Venezuelean team that we throttled during qualifying, and a 1-0 loss to Morrocco another bad team this should of been a wakeup call to Bruce that his tactics of the ubber defensive formation might not be good. But he didnt learn, played some of his pets on the team and we lost plain and simple because our talent was not as good as it should of been.

Taylor Twellman should of been on this team. Spector should of been on this team. But he had to go with some of his DC United connection and thankfully after this world cup disaster Bruce will be gone.

Hopefully we can get it through our heads that we need to go ourside of the US system to get someone attack minded that can take us to the next level. Someone who is from the Portugal system, the Spanish system, or Brazilian would be nice. Also we need to start to play better friendlies. No more of this lets play Jamaica in a friendly. Lets play the Dutch, the Serbs, the Italians. I dont care if we lose our ranking or lose every game. You get better by playing against better competition.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
Spector should of been on this team.

He got injured against Portsmouth in April - He was stretchered off with a f***ed up shoulder.

He's since had an operation to "strengthen" the damaged shoulder, but it pretty much put paid to his world cup chances.

SPECTOR OUT OF WORLD CUP

EDIT - Add link

Edited by Credepopsup

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
He got injured against Portsmouth in April - He was stretchered off with a f***ed up shoulder.

He's since had an operation to "strengthen" the damaged shoulder, but it pretty much put paid to his world cup chances.

SPECTOR OUT OF WORLD CUP

EDIT - Add link

Bruce only had him out at one Friendly just to cap him. He wasnt in the heart of qualifying so even if he was healthy he would of been a long shot.

Spector Boca Gooch would of been a nice backline. Tall, athletic, and quick.

Pope is well past his prime, Lewis is not a defensive player at all. I figure the next Bruce thing will be to get Ben Olsen his other pet project into the starting 11.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Bruce only had him out at one Friendly just to cap him. He wasnt in the heart of qualifying so even if he was healthy he would of been a long shot.

Spector Boca Gooch would of been a nice backline. Tall, athletic, and quick.

Pope is well past his prime, Lewis is not a defensive player at all. I figure the next Bruce thing will be to get Ben Olsen his other pet project into the starting 11.

Eddie Lewis is pretty much terrible regardless of where we play him on the field.

I've always liked Bocanegra but for some reason he has never gotten much time with Arena's squad. He can't possibly be any worse than Eddie Pope is at this point.

Going into this world cup I knew we would have a hard time scoring goals, but now I can't quite figure out how we are going to stop the other team from scoring either.