Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So first round over. Bring on Equadore. Owen looks as if he's out for the duration so you can all look out for more tight games with us flooding the midfield At least Gerald, Cole and Lampard can now play in their prefered positions.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
So first round over. Bring on Equadore. Owen looks as if he's out for the duration so you can all look out for more tight games with us flooding the midfield At least Gerald, Cole and Lampard can now play in their prefered positions.

I hope, ahem Ecuador doesn't rest 6 starters like they did against Germany. If they do, Innglend will steamroll em.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
I hope, ahem Ecuador doesn't rest 6 starters like they did against Germany. If they do, Innglend will steamroll em.

There would be no reason for them to do so.

Owen is done for England. Yikes.

Mexico/Portugal up soon. Mexico needs at least a tie to advance. Portugal has already advanced and might just take the day off, but might look for a victory in order to avoid Argentina as it's next opponent.

I was wrong, Mexico lost but still advanced. Good luck vs. Argentina.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
Owen is done for England. Yikes.

Mexico/Portugal up soon. Mexico needs at least a tie to advance. Portugal has already advanced and might just take the day off, but might look for a victory in order to avoid Argentina as it's next opponent.

Well Mexico loses but advances to the next round. I really can't see either of these teams (Portugal or Mexico) giving Argentina or the Netherlands trouble but anything can happen.

Meanwhile, strap it down for the Oranje vs. the Argentines. Should be a good one, even though some starters will be sitting on their yellow cards.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Well Mexico loses but advances to the next round. I really can't see either of these teams (Portugal or Mexico) giving Argentina or the Netherlands trouble but anything can happen.

Meanwhile, strap it down for the Oranje vs. the Argentines. Should be a good one, even though some starters will be sitting on their yellow cards.

Portugal/Neth should be a solid match. I wouldn't count out the Portugese just yet.

Portugal won 2-1 and looked in control the whole match. Mexico did get a PK to tie it at 2 after getting down 2-0 early but Bravo hit it over the bar. I hate seeing players hit penalties over the bar. It reminds me of Roberto Baggio in the 94 final. :crying Angola had a shot to move on and had the lead against Iran but needed more goals and couldn't hold their lead, 1-1 draw there. Portugal gets screwed with the Argentina/Netherlands loser. Netherlands looks way more vulnerable, but I wouldn't want to face either.

Speaking of which I can't wait to see the Net/Arg game. It should be a good battle and is the first matchup of powerhouse nations.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
do yellow cards stick for the entire tourney then right?

I'm pretty sure they start over once the elimination games begin. However, if you get a second yellow in your third match in pool play, you sit out the first match in the knockout stages. So after this game the slate gets wiped clean.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Portugal/Neth should be a solid match. I wouldn't count out the Portugese just yet.

The Portuguese definitely have the talent to beat anyone in the world. I'm just not sure they can get it done on the World stage. We shall see...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
Yes, yellow cards are renewed after the group stages. Once the round of 16 starts, everyone has 0.

Angola put a good run on the Mexicans but came up short. Really exciting stuff.

I'm still surprised that Mexico had far more support than portugal, a european team playing in europe...

Mexico missing too many opportunities the past 2 games, but advancing is the primary objective in group play. Poor play by the Barcelona guy Rafa Marquez, horrible handball in the box, after a great game the previous one. Moving to the midfield should not have affected him like that. Kikin Fonseca had to put one in the net after so many missed chances....

Great games so far, but it only gets better after group play and I can't wait.

Serbia with 2 goals! What? I must say, we are playing a lot better today. I'm proud that they brought it in the final game. 2-1 at halftime although we should have had a PK when Djordjevic was fouled inside the box.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
Just curious, do you know offhand how many of the players on the team are Montenegran?

Only 1. The goalkeeper, Dragoslav Jevric. He wont be a big loss because we have about 3 young and talented Serb goalies and Jevric is in his 30's anyway.

Let's go America, and Italy, too.

I haven't felt this tense since the night before America beat Brazil in 1998. Back then, though, I was a small kid who was dreaming of silly, idealist things -- like America wiping the floor with Brazil! (They won, but they didn't dominate the Brazilians, although I fell in love with Keller.)

Right now, I'm just tense because I don't want to see my country eliminated this early, as they're a) better than this and b ) well, I'm an American. :)

And because I have an interest in America advancing, as well as some Italian heritage, I want Italy to defeat the Czechs.