Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
I read 40,000 Englanders are expected for England's first game. HOLY ****!

Along those same lines, and probably of at least passing interest to many Chicagoans, the Poland vs. Ecuador match tomorrow will be an awesome scene with a stadium 90% or more full of Poles. I'm looking forward to that match more than Germany/Costa Rica tomorrow for that reason and because that match will probably determine the second team to make it out of that group (Hopefully it's Poland).

My VCR will be out of gas by the end of this month. I'm one of the few Americans that the '94 WC had a big impact on. As far as anticipation of a sporting event, MLB Opening Day is the only thing that beats the World Cup for me. (I love college basketball too, but the WC beats out the NCAA tourn. because of the once every four years thing).

:usa

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:50 AM)
Along those same lines, and probably of at least passing interest to many Chicagoans, the Poland vs. Ecuador match tomorrow will be an awesome scene with a stadium 90% or more full of Poles. I'm looking forward to that match more than Germany/Costa Rica tomorrow for that reason and because that match will probably determine the second team to make it out of that group (Hopefully it's Poland).

My VCR will be out of gas by the end of this month. I'm one of the few Americans that the '94 WC had a big impact on. As far as anticipation of a sporting event, MLB Opening Day is the only thing that beats the World Cup for me. (I love college basketball too, but the WC beats out the NCAA tourn. because of the once every four years thing).

:usa

I was only 5, but I remember the '94 World Cup and loved every minute of it. Attending the games live was absolutly amazing. I remember the crowds marching miles and miles in huge bunches to attend the game.

And now I can't frickin wait for tommorrow. Counting down the hours.

Sunday, 7:55 AM CT. It's on.

I have it auto-tuned, as well as all the other matches. Looking forward to seeing Poland/Ecuador as well but I think Germany/Costa Rica will be a better match. Woooot! THE WORLD CUP IS HERE!

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
You guys are very lucky with the time zone. Unfortunately for me, most of the games are on at about 2a.m :crying

Us Americans had to deal with that in 2002. It was annoying and tiring, but worth it, especially the Portugal and Mexico games. :P

I f***ing hate it. My dad would watch the re-runs at 7 AM, and one day my brother was watching with him. My dad always watches it in spanish. So when a goal was scored and the broadcasters went GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! my brother yelled GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! f***ing woke me up. :angry: :angry: :angry:

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
I f***ing hate it. My dad would watch the re-runs at 7 AM, and one day my brother was watching with him. My dad always watches it in spanish. So when a goal was scored and the broadcasters went GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! my brother yelled GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! f***ing woke me up. :angry: :angry: :angry:

That's not even how you spell goal. :P

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

So thats why you hate the World Cup? Some people watch soccer just to hear that moron scream.

I luuuuuuuuv nil-nil draws. :lol:

Edited by SoxFan1

So thats why you hate the World Cup? Some people watch soccer just to hear that moron scream.

I hate soccer for a lot of reasons. The only time I ever watch soccer is if I happen to see it on the TV in spanish just to hear the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
I hate soccer for a lot of reasons. The only time I ever watch soccer is if I happen to see it on the TV in spanish just to hear the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

Don't be so upset. It was probably time for your bottle anyway.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Goldberg.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
Remember when he won 170 straight matches? An amazing run...

Yeah.. watch out for that spear too.. MAN.

:bang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
I'm pinning this. Probably time for some predictions as well.

Sounds good, I haven't made predictions yet but I'll go at it now. I'll just pick group winners and the overall winner because I don't feel like looking at the bracket.

A: Germany- I'm not going to pick against the host and '02 runner up, especially in this group.

B: Sweden- England is very good, but they haven't done well compared to expectations in recent World Cups. Sweden is a solid team that could give England trouble. I switched this pick, it could go either way.

C: Netherlands- Argentina is very good, but Holland is scary talented. Very interesting group with all four teams having the ability to advance IMO.

D: Mexico- It's a pretty poor group and I just think Portugal is more prone to an upset.

E: Not picking due to my two favorite teams being in it (USA and Italy). More on the US later.

F: Brazil- come on, Brazil is my pick to win it all (sorry for being boring).

G: France- They look like the class of this group, but could get tested.

H: Spain- I have my doubts about the Spaniards, but this group shouldn't pose too much of a threat.

No truely bold predictions. There's probably going to be more parody than I'm giving credit. The African teams are the wild cards because some of the teams that have name players and World Cup experience/success didn't make it (Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal). Of course these teams have to be solid to qualify over the previously mentioned teams.

As for the US, I refuse to make an official prediction because I really don't want to pick either way. It's not going to be easy to get out of the group and I'm on the fence whether I think they will get out or not. Italy has a history of an upset or two along the way (I hate when they pull back with a 1 goal lead.). The Czechs are hyped up a lot, but I'm not sold on them being a complete team. With that said they still are a good team that has a good chance to advance. Ghana is the long shot, but they could do some damage and ruin the chances of one of the other three teams. It may turn out that the results against Ghana could decide it for the top three. Who can avoid the upset and better yet who can boost their goal differencial? Italy is the class of the group, but as an Italian fan I can say that hasn't always mattered. The problem for the US is that they have to not only advance from a tough group, but if they finish second they play the winner of Brazil's group aka Brazil in the round of 16. I would love to see the US play Brazil and even if they lost it would be a decent World Cup. Advancing out of this group would be fine and everyone can respect losing to the Brazilians. At the same time playing Brazil opens up the what if of the US possibly winning. That would be an epic upset that would draw a ton of attention to the team on the international, but more importantly, national scale. I'm way ahead of myself, I just want to get the Cup going!

Edited by danman31

A

1. Germany

2. Ecuador

3. Costa Rica

4. Poland

It's going to be tough for Costa Rica to get through since they lead off with the hosts or else I would take them. I don't know about Poland, I just don't like 2 European teams getting through here.

B

1. England

2. Sweden

3. Paraguay

4. Trinidad and Tobago

Sweden really isn't spectacular, but they got lucky and will only have to face off against the last teams to qualify out of North and South America.

C

1. Holland

2. Argentina

3. Serbia and Montenegro

4. Ivory Coast

This is the GoD, but I believe both Holland and Argentina are much better than the other two.

D

1. Portugal

2. Iran

3. Mexico

4. Angola

Going out on a limb just because Mexico has been down as of late.

E

1. Italy

2. United States

3. Czech Republic

4. Ghana

The US will need the '02 magic to advance, but I think they can capture it.

F

1. Brazil

2. Croatia

3. Japan

4. Austrailia

I don't think either Japan or Austrailia will provide much of a challenge.

G

1. France

2. South Korea

3. Switzerland

4. Togo

Go Togo!

H

1. Saudi Arabia

2. Spain

3. Ukraine

4. Tunisia

I had to go out on a limb somewhere, so this is it. Despite being the worst pool, I like Spain as my struggling European power, but I think they'll still get through. Saudi Arabia rolled through Asian qualifying, so I like them to take this group.

Second Round

Germany over Sweden

Holland over Iran

England over Ecuador

Argentina over Portugal

Croatia over Italy

Spain over France

Brazil over US

Saudi Arabia over South Korea

Quarters

Holland over Germany

Argentina over England

Spain over Croatia

Brazil over Saudi Arabia

Semi's

Holland over Argentina

Spain over Brazil

Championship

Spain over Holland

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't think the people who responded actually got this joke.

Anyway, I would much rather they let Julie "The Cat" Gaffney play, but they don't let women on the team.

Mighty Ducks baby. :cheers