Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
So is Keller or Jordan the starting goalkeeper for the American squad? I've heard, on other sites, Keller, but also Jordan here and on other sites. I looked it up but couldn't find anything.

Who is Jordan?

>_______________________________________________>

If Tourette's Syndrome Keeper is named Jordan, that's who I mean.

I wasn't up to date on the roster until last night, when I was doing research into the keepers, and I saw we had Friedel and Keller, two favorites, but I didn't remember the other guy's name and have been calling him Jordan ever since.

Oops.

Umm, discount what I said about Friedel. He is a favorite, but he's not on the roster...

...I guess I don't know how to read anymore...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
Honestly I'm suprised Brad Friedel ain't your goalie. He's had a great season for Blackburn Rovers propelling them to Uefa Cup Qualification.

Arena has always been questionable with who he picked for the nats in my mind. No Taylor Twellman? Come on.

Dissapointing loss for Serbia. They made 1 mistake and it cost them. Each team had a good counterattack buyt Netherlands was able to capitalize. Serbia had about 6 total chances to score and failed. If there is any hope of advancing, we have to win the next 2 and it will be tough.

Mexico was impressive but if Borgetti is injured, they are screwed. Iran held in there for most of the match but made a crucial mistake. So far, this has been a really good World Cup. Can't wait to see Portugal.

God, I love it!

I was watching the Mexico-Iran game in spanish during commercials on ESPN. I missed the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! call not once, but twice, w/in a 5 mintue span. :angry: :(

And it was pretty funny what I saw. The Mexican coach was sitting on the bench smoking a cigeratte during the game. Lying back, watching the game and smokin' a cigeratte. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
England was very unimpressive and got lucky on the own goal. Their defense looked ok though. Crouch is so damn scrawny btw. Jeez, eat once in a while.

Sweden/T&T start now. Can't wait to see Larsson/Ibrahimovic work together.

Just got back home tonight. That free kick was undefendable, Beckham at his best. If we can just ignore our managers Italian style of sitting on a one nil lead we can walk this group, Sweden have NOTHING to be scared of.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
I could see the host team pulling a France and winning it all.

Not unless they learn to defend, Klinsman is still building his team. They will be top class in Euro 2008.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 05:21 AM)
Who will be the starting keeper for Team USA?

Please please can you guys get the termination right? He is not the "starting" goal keeper, just the keeper. The fact he is on the pitch means that he is starting, just like the other ten players. It's rather like me calling Contreras a thrower for the White Sox ( or even worse, a bowler).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:35 AM)
You guys are very lucky with the time zone. Unfortunately for me, most of the games are on at about 2a.m :crying

See how I feel every damn night :P

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)

Semi's

Holland over Argentina

Spain over Brazil

Championship

Spain over Holland

You are dreaming........right?

Edited by DePloderer

Dep, relax here Mr. 3 Lions. They did get lucky on the own goal. I know it's your country and all but be realistic. If Gamarra times that better, it's headed out of the zone and the game ends in a draw. Instead, he jumps late and it goes right off the top of his skull and into the net.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)
Australia vs. Japan kicks off in 20 mins. Biggest game in this country for at least 30+ years.

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!!!! :D :aussie:

If I were you, I'd be uber pissed. That was a BS goal by Japan. Keeper gets tackled and the bll bounces in. :lolhitting :aussie:

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
DHAH0 is going to be partying deep into the evening tonight....what a rally, and the Aussies get their first World Cup win ever and have a shot to advance out of their group.

WHAT? He should be drunk already!

Oh man, BEST f***ING GAME of Soccer EVER!!!!!

First of all, we deserved to win. Dominated possession all game, and had about 18 shots on goal. Japan threatened occasionally on the counter, but we did fairly well defensively I thought.

Japan's goal was a FREAKIN joke. And if we had lost this game 1-0, I tell you there would be hell to pay. Schwarzer our goalie got barrelled into by a Japan striker, and the ref does nothing. You watch corners beforehand, if you touch the goalie it's a free kick.

The referee's performance was awful. Didn't control the game well at all.

But the turning point was the introduction of Tim Cahill and Josh Kennedy. Kennedy's a huge guy at sriker, and the Japanese defenders hated him in the air. Cahill scores goal reguarly for Everton in the EPL. Fantastic 2nd goal he scored.

Oh man, we're going to be partying today Down Under (it's 1a.m here, and I gotta get up for work in 6 hours). :lol:

That was incredible. Japan got a BS goal in the 1st half against the run of play, but outplayed Australia in the 2nd half. This further proves that you can't sit on a 1 goal lead. Japan sat back with almost 20 minutes left and couldn't push it back forward once it was a tie game. It's possibly the dumbest tactic in soccer.

So Cahill is now a God in Australia, right DBAH0?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
That was incredible. Japan got a BS goal in the 1st half against the run of play, but outplayed Australia in the 2nd half. This further proves that you can't sit on a 1 goal lead. Japan sat back with almost 20 minutes left and couldn't push it back forward once it was a tie game. It's possibly the dumbest tactic in soccer.

So Cahill is now a God in Australia, right DBAH0?

Oh yeah, Cahill's a national hero now.

This is our first EVER win at a World Cup. You don't know how much this means to Australian Soccer. It's going to take off so much down here.

If we get a draw against Croatia, we should make the 2nd round.

We were going to get Japan eventually, you could definitely tell. Their goalie did a great job before the 3 goals, making numerous saves.