Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
Oh man, BEST f***ING GAME of Soccer EVER!!!!!

First of all, we deserved to win. Dominated possession all game, and had about 18 shots on goal. Japan threatened occasionally on the counter, but we did fairly well defensively I thought.

Japan's goal was a FREAKIN joke. And if we had lost this game 1-0, I tell you there would be hell to pay. Schwarzer our goalie got barrelled into by a Japan striker, and the ref does nothing. You watch corners beforehand, if you touch the goalie it's a free kick.

The referee's performance was awful. Didn't control the game well at all.

But the turning point was the introduction of Tim Cahill and Josh Kennedy. Kennedy's a huge guy at sriker, and the Japanese defenders hated him in the air. Cahill scores goal reguarly for Everton in the EPL. Fantastic 2nd goal he scored.

Oh man, we're going to be partying today Down Under (it's 1a.m here, and I gotta get up for work in 6 hours). :lol:

1 am there?? Damn that sucks....go get some sleep and get drunk "tonight" there. Oh and good point about sitting on a 1 goal lead....that's what gives me hope for the U.S. against Italy....Italy loves to do that, and the U.S. athletic ability will cause problems in that senario.

But for now....time to beat the Czech's.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This gushing about the US is starting to really piss me off. Every f***ing game has a 10 minute span where all they talk about is the US. These announcers are horrible. I've had to watch these games on the Spanish channels because everytime I flip to ESPN, their talking about the US.

I mean, come on. I understand that the country, well, 5% of it, is excited about their team this year but if you're going to choose to cover the World Cup, cover the World f***ing Cup, not the US. Holy s***! After the 1st half in the AUS/JAP game, what does it say will be on during the halftime show? A f***ing US report. TALK ABOUT THE GAME I AM f***ING WATCHING! I WILL HEAR ENOUGH ABOUT THE US WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING THE CZECH REPUBLIC. HOLY f***ING s***!

/end of rant

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
This gushing about the US is starting to really piss me off. Every f***ing game has a 10 minute span where all they talk about is the US. These announcers are horrible. I've had to watch these games on the Spanish channels because everytime I flip to ESPN, their talking about the US.

I mean, come on. I understand that the country, well, 5% of it, is excited about their team this year but if you're going to choose to cover the World Cup, cover the World f***ing Cup, not the US. Holy s***! After the 1st half in the AUS/JAP game, what does it say will be on during the halftime show? A f***ing US report. TALK ABOUT THE GAME I AM f***ING WATCHING! I WILL HEAR ENOUGH ABOUT THE US WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING THE CZECH REPUBLIC. HOLY f***ING s***!

/end of rant

Um..you are aware you live in the US right? I'm pretty sure every country focuses their news towards their own team..I could be wrong here as I have no basis for my argument.

My Predicition: CZE 2, US 1

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Um..you are aware you live in the US right? I'm pretty sure every country focuses their news towards their own team..I could be wrong here as I have no basis for my argument.

My Predicition: CZE 2, US 1

I understand that I live in the US, but when I am watching Portugal/Angola, I do not want to hear about the US. When I am watching Serbia/Netherlands, I do not want to hear about the US. When I am watching Mexico/Iran, I do not want to hear about the US.

When I am watching US/Czech Republic, then I will want to hear about them.

See, on an international level, broadcasters are supposed to be objective. Not to root for a team, but to broadcast the game. Tell me about who has the ball not about how many strands of hair Brian McBride has on his balls.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
I was just in China for the last 2 weeks.... and they didnt even mention US soccer over there.... it was all asian countries and than it talked about Germany's team a lot.

Exactly. Move if you don't want to hear coverage of the HOME country. Every place is doing the exact same thing for their respective country.

You've got nothing to complain about.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Exactly. Move if you don't want to hear coverage of the HOME country. Every place is doing the exact same thing for their respective country.

You've got nothing to complain about.

Look, I have nothing to complain about when there are no games on, but like I said, when 2 teams that are not named USA are playing, is it necessary to talk about the US?

I'm just sayin...

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Look, I have nothing to complain about when there are no games on, but like I said, when 2 teams that are not named USA are playing, is it necessary to talk about the US?

I'm just sayin...

They're doing the same things in China, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, and Serbia.

Bash them too.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
They're doing the same things in China, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, and Serbia.

Bash them too.

No, they are not.

I watched Poland/Ecuador in a German broadcast and they didn't mention Germany once. I watched England/Paraguay in a Serbian broadcast and they didn't mention Serbia once. I watched Serbia/Netherlands in a Spanish broadcast and they only mentioned Mexico once. And it was during halftime.

1-0 Czech Republic on the header by Koller.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
No, they are not.

I watched Poland/Ecuador in a German broadcast and they didn't mention Germany once. I watched England/Paraguay in a Serbian broadcast and they didn't mention Serbia once. I watched Serbia/Netherlands in a Spanish broadcast and they only mentioned Mexico once. And it was during halftime.

1-0 Czech Republic on the header by Koller.

Keep it on those channels then. You have a way to avoid your problem; there isn't reason to complain then.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Keep it on those channels then. You have a way to avoid your problem; there isn't reason to complain then.

Problem is, ESPN is the only channel I can watch all the games on, hence, my complaints. But, it doesn't matter, it's not gonna make ESPN and ABC not talk about the US all the time.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
f***, US went down 5 minutes into the game on a nice cross that resulted in a header .

14:26 into the game now, still 1-0.

Czechs are 2nd ranked in the world apparently.

Yes, they are. But FIFA rankings are way overrated. US = 5th. Teams that didn't qualify are ranked higher, in some cases way higher, than teams that did.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Down 1-0 because players on our team don't feel like trying. We had three guys around the box and the Czech's had 1...and he scored.

Stupid f***ing lineup by Arena.

Donovan is not a F. He is an attacking mid. EJ should be up front to give us some size and strike capabilities. And why is Eddie Pope on this team. He is slow, and old and cannot cover guys like the Czechs.

Outside of Gooch we are stacking guys in the box who cant outjump anyone.

No Bocanegra who is tall and has played in the Premiership.

No Spector who is tall athetic and has played in the Premiership. And isnt even on the team.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
ESPN2HD sucks.

Anyone else having problems with it?

So our defense can't cover a cross.

Keller had a bad distrubution on the play and then Eddie Pope was flat footed.

Eddie Pope is Bruce Arenas version of Timo Perez.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
2-0 now. Our defense looks like piss. However, that was a hell of a goal. Perfect shot.

What defense. Eddie Lewis is not a defender. He is a defensive midfielder. He is too slow to play D. Eddie Pope is too old and slow to keep with any world class players. He was getting owned by anyone during qualifying, but he played for DC United and for Bruce Arena before so he plays. There is a reason that Keller is not in the premiership anymore. Macus or Howard should of started, they at least have the atheticism that is needed for this.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
What defense. Eddie Lewis is not a defender. He is a defensive midfielder. He is too slow to play D. Eddie Pope is too old and slow to keep with any world class players. He was getting owned by anyone during qualifying, but he played for DC United and for Bruce Arena before so he plays. There is a reason that Keller is not in the premiership anymore. Macus or Howard should of started, they at least have the atheticism that is needed for this.

A bigger issue is our team, which is a lot faster, is playing a slow tempo right now. They are letting the Czechs set the tone of this game (and the Czechs helped that out by scoring early) but the US is now letting it happen.

Koller goes down, looks like he pulled his hammy. This could help give US more of an opening. The problem is they look sluggish out on the field and they are doing a terrible job of passing.

They've made quite a few mistakes and the Czechs have turned at least one of those mistakes into a goal. Wasn't paying much attention when the 1st goal scored (was just finishing up some work stuff).