2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
This isn't him, but it is hilarious.

myspace.com/jimthome2006

While you're there check out

myspace.com/carleverett

I thought the Thome one was crappy, and the Everett one crude.

Everett's is funny, though, while Thome's isn't at all. There's nothing on the page!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The ERA is a personal figure, personal number. You can have 5 dynamite games and then 5 horsecrap games and now that number is gonna look sqewed. What's more important? That sqewed number or that W number?"

- Don Cooper, White Sox Pitching Coach

Wow, just wow.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
"The ERA is a personal figure, personal number. You can have 5 dynamite games and then 5 horsecrap games and now that number is gonna look sqewed. What's more important? That sqewed number or that W number?"

- Don Cooper, White Sox Pitching Coach

Wow, just wow.

To be honest, he's probably just trying to stick up for his staff. I think he realizes they're pitching like spiff.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
To be honest, he's probably just trying to stick up for his staff. I think he realizes they're pitching like spiff.

Your probably right and my guess is the last thing they need to do is hear it from someone else. They all know they've pitched like spiff, now its just a matter for them to go out and start getting better one start at a time.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)

He seemed so damn adamant about it, I think he may have meant it. :o

Everytime I see Ozzie put Mack out in CF I ask myself doesnt he pride himself in having a good defensive team out there, for that is what he preaches. Then I close my eyes and remember that he had to get certain players into the lineup last year no matter how they didnt fit defensively. Timo at 1st base, Timo the DH, Timo Insert OF spot. So as much as we see Mack in center and it gives us pains, this is the same Coach who put Timo at 1st.

Play the A team Ozzie. You can play the Sunday lineup against the royals. These lineup changes are more frustrating than Manuels sunday lineup. At least that was only once a week.

If Ozzie really wants to get Mack in the pen, why can't he stick him in LF in place of Podsednik every once in awhile? Did Mack not play leadoff during spring training? The guy has an incredibly high OBP and some good speed along with excellent defense in LF coupled with his above average arm. Seems like a good fit to me. What has changed between Spring Training and now?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
If Ozzie really wants to get Mack in the pen, why can't he stick him in LF in place of Podsednik every once in awhile? Did Mack not play leadoff during spring training? The guy has an incredibly high OBP and some good speed along with excellent defense in LF coupled with his above average arm. Seems like a good fit to me. What has changed between Spring Training and now?

Ozzie wants to make sure our offense is Marlinized. Have he fast guy up front that creates havoc on the bases. However that guy is no longer on our team. He lost his ability to be a havoc creator when he had a hernia. Now he is a glorified singles hitter, who gets thrown out stealing about 20% of the time.

So in reality replacing him with Mack is a good idea that will never get used. Kind of like replacing one of the twin duds in our rotation with bmac.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
Ozzie wants to make sure our offense is Marlinized. Have he fast guy up front that creates havoc on the bases. However that guy is no longer on our team. He lost his ability to be a havoc creator when he had a hernia. Now he is a glorified singles hitter, who gets thrown out stealing about 20% of the time.

So in reality replacing him with Mack is a good idea that will never get used. Kind of like replacing one of the twin duds in our rotation with bmac.

30% of the time actually. :(

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
30% of the time actually. :(

So what point of the season does Ozzie scrap the B team and start playing the A team. He did it last year in September when the race tightened up and he was in jeporady of losing the division.

tomorrow we shall see Widger and his lovely bat. Most contending teams actually play their starters most of the time.

From Trib: Going into this game, opponents were hitting .228 against Vazquez in their first two times through the batting order, .361 thereafter.

Why doesn't our manager and coaching staff realize this? Are their heads buried in sand? They should have a guy start warming whenever Vazquez sees the batters for a 3rd time in a game.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
From Trib: Going into this game, opponents were hitting .228 against Vazquez in their first two times through the batting order, .361 thereafter.

Why doesn't our manager and coaching staff realize this? Are their heads buried in sand? They should have a guy start warming whenever Vazquez sees the batters for a 3rd time in a game.

They know that because they have the same numbers. But Ozzie goes with his gut, which has been wrong everytime he trots a starter out there for the extra inning. Last year Ozzie had the magic wand. This year the wand needs adjusting. Every single time he gets greedy with his starters it kills him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Everytime I see Ozzie put Mack out in CF I ask myself doesnt he pride himself in having a good defensive team out there, for that is what he preaches. Then I close my eyes and remember that he had to get certain players into the lineup last year no matter how they didnt fit defensively. Timo at 1st base, Timo the DH, Timo Insert OF spot. So as much as we see Mack in center and it gives us pains, this is the same Coach who put Timo at 1st.

Play the A team Ozzie. You can play the Sunday lineup against the royals. These lineup changes are more frustrating than Manuels sunday lineup. At least that was only once a week.

I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again. Ozzie said this series was big, yet he decided to play two utility players in the second game? I can see him doing it in the third game if we're going for the sweep, but not in the second game when we have that meltdown-waiting-to-happen pitching. Plus, Mackowiak misplayed a ball which led to runs, as he does every single game he starts in CF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)

I've been suggesting this for a while. I really see very few negative aspects to it.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)

I am so very confident that Vazquez will never become a good pitcher. The best we can hope for is for him to be average. He's just clearly never made the adjustment he needs to make. He's 30-years-old and he still makes the mistakes of a rookie. I imagine that if he had the brain of a retarded monkey, he'd pitch roughly the same as he does now. He's the definition of a thrower as opposed to a pitcher.

If he gets an 0-2 on any hitter, you can expect a poorly placed fastball or a hanging curveball right down main street. If a batter gets on base due to a poor call by an ump, an error/mistake by a defender, or by a flukey hit, you can bet your ass he's going to give up about 5 more runs in that inning.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
Glad to see that Liriano is pitching Sunday. Now we'll only have 1 automatic loss in the Twins series.

Have no fear... I just picked him up on one of my fantasy teams. We'll slaughter him now. :headbang

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Have no fear... I just picked him up on one of my fantasy teams. We'll slaughter him now. :headbang

He was still available, or did you trade for him? If he was still available, then I really hope you are in first place with opponents like that.

I hate seeing the B team so much, also.

Is it just me, though, or are there a ton of lefties in the AL this season.

It seems Thome has had to bat against a ton of lefties and Scottie and AJ sometimes sit

when it's a lefty.

Am I nuts or are there a TON of lefties starting against us???