2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
I would not be upset if the White Sox were to replace their manager some time in the near future.

I know 25 people in our clubhouse that would be. They aren't very important compared with the fans though.

PS. In my opinion we need a whole organizational overhaul. Let's just blow it up from the GM on down.

Edited by jphat007

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
I know 25 people in our clubhouse that would be. They aren't very important compared with the fans though.

24......McCarthy would probably be doing cartwheels :P

I agree with you though.....it's not even worth discussing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
It's not happening any time soon, so we just have to get used to the way he manages. I'm just happy that he managed very well in the postseason last year (outside of letting Hermanson face Lane in Game 3).

I still think he put him in that game because he felt he owed it to him. This is the same reason I do not want Hermy back with the big club this season, Ozzie will end up putting him in late in games and he'll lose us a few. He's done it with Clifford a few times this year and it's very scary.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
24......McCarthy would probably be doing cartwheels :P

I agree with you though.....it's not even worth discussing.

Oh, he'll be here for a long ass time and I agree there should not be any "fire Ozzie" threads. I'm just not a big fan for a few reasons. He's better than most out there, I just get sick of seeing the same old patterns from him after 3 years. You'd figure he'd eventually learn from some of his mistakes.

Thought some of the posters in here would find this interesting....on the post game show on Comcast, they just reported the NY Daily News rumor about the Sox shopping Garcia or Vaz. With the way the Sox organization works, they wouldn't be having Comcast state this unless there was something to it.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)

PS. In my opinion we need a whole organizational overhaul. Let's just blow it up from the GM on down.

Also, I never said I wanted him fired. Just that I won't be overcome with sadness when he's eventually replaced (assuming he doesn't become a Cox/Larussa/Torre and coaches this team for the next 20 years.)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Also, I never said I wanted him fired. Just that I won't be overcome with sadness when he's eventually replaced (assuming he doesn't become a Cox/Larussa/Torre and coaches this team for the next 20 years.)

I know 4 teams in our division that wouldnt be sad to see him go either. thankfully he is not going anywhere for awhile.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:12 AM)
I know 4 teams in our division that wouldnt be sad to see him go either. thankfully he is not going anywhere for awhile.

And at least one player in the division. Poor Matt Stairs....Ozzie's the only manager in baseball still worried about facing him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
Thought some of the posters in here would find this interesting....on the post game show on Comcast, they just reported the NY Daily News rumor about the Sox shopping Garcia or Vaz. With the way the Sox organization works, they wouldn't be having Comcast state this unless there was something to it.

I was going to make a note on the blog, if McCarthy didn't make an appearance today, tomorrow, to expect a move sooner rather than later. The 55 pitches he threw on Sunday helped him get a little stretched out, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a move made this weekend, with Mac starting against the Tigers.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
I was going to make a note on the blog, if McCarthy didn't make an appearance today, tomorrow, to expect a move sooner rather than later. The 55 pitches he threw on Sunday helped him get a little stretched out, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a move made this weekend, with Mac starting against the Tigers.

And yet, he throws 6 pitches today. Striking out the only batter he faced.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)

Read the trade winds forum ;) (although really, I can't blame you for staying out of there)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)

If you saw Ozzie talking to the media in NY, there is definitely something to it. He used one of those they are part of the White Sox organization right now lines.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
No Crede tomorrow.

Because he got hit in the calf? Yikes. I'd rather see Mac at 3rd than Pablo, but it is more like the lesser of two evils defensively.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
No Crede tomorrow.

Hmm, this could bode well for Brian if Ozzie decides to go with Mack at 3rd like he probably should. Or we'll just get a lineup featuring Cintron/Ozuna at 3B and Mack in CF which is what I expect.

Jose Contreras took his first loss since last August after giving up four runs in seven-plus innings against the Yankees on Friday.

Ozzie Guillen deserves a lot of the credit. How is it that Contreras was fine to start the eighth in a 3-3 game but wasn't good enough to continue after allowing a single to one of the game's best hitters in Alex Rodriguez? Especially when Matt Thornton was the alternative. Sure, Thornton has had a fine season, but with a pair of patient switch-hitters due up, it was a terrible time to put him in. Jorge Posada singled and Bernie Williams walked to load the bases. Brandon McCarthy took over and got a strikeout of Andy Phillips. However, that just brought another pitching change, and Neal Cotts allowed the Yankees to clear the bases. It was overmanaging at its worst. Contreras is 9-1 with a 3.48 ERA. Jul. 14 - 10:47 pm et

Let's face it. The pathetic pathetic Royals are going to lose all 4 to the Tigers and Detroit's

machine is gonna keep rolling.

Hopefully we can win 2 of 3 somehow in NY and keep this thing under 5-6 games.

As far as Ozzie ... players win games.

Name another manager you'd rather have besides Torre, maybe.

The big bad Yankees haven't exactly been dynastic under Torre.

Ozzie is as good as anybody out there.

La Russa? Give me a break.

Dusty? Piniella?

They are all the same.

ROYALS SUCK

GO SOX!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Let's face it. The pathetic pathetic Royals are going to lose all 4 to the Tigers and Detroit's

machine is gonna keep rolling.

Hopefully we can win 2 of 3 somehow in NY and keep this thing under 5-6 games.

As far as Ozzie ... players win games.

Name another manager you'd rather have besides Torre, maybe.

The big bad Yankees haven't exactly been dynastic under Torre.

Ozzie is as good as anybody out there.

La Russa? Give me a break.

Dusty? Piniella?

They are all the same.

ROYALS SUCK

GO SOX!

Bobby Cox

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
Bobby Cox is so old our players would lose games out of boredom

just looking at that guy.

That's some excellent analysis. He'd also pull Podsednik for jogging to ball hit in front of him like he's done to Andruw Jones and other players througout the years.

I'm saying the big picture is more important than "game strategy."

You think if we examined Cox's games we couldn't find screw ups aplenty?

The players like playing for Oz apparently and his enthusiasm is a big

reason we kicked ass last year and if not for Detroit would have nothing

to complain about yet this year despite a team that has a weak bullpen

(except for Bobby) and some everyday personnel problems (no bat in cf; starting

pitching being good, not great this year).

I would take Oz over Cox.

The only guy I might want instead of Oz is Piniella and like any manager

he doesn't win when he doesn't have talent either.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
I'm saying the big picture is more important than "game strategy."

You think if we examined Cox's games we couldn't find screw ups aplenty?

The players like playing for Oz apparently and his enthusiasm is a big

reason we kicked ass last year and if not for Detroit would have nothing

to complain about yet this year despite a team that has a weak bullpen

(except for Bobby) and some everyday personnel problems (no bat in cf; starting

pitching being good, not great this year).

I would take Oz over Cox.

The only guy I might want instead of Oz is Piniella and like any manager

he doesn't win when he doesn't have talent either.

Is it too much to ask of Ozzie for him to simply learn from his mistakes? He seems to love to overmanage the pitching staff, no matter what Hawk says and tonight was another example of it. Either you pull Contreras after 7 solid innings of work or you let him pitch the 8th, it makes no sense to pull him after he allows a leadoff single. If you're going to use Brandon McCarthy then use him, he's not a friggin' ROOGY though his 1.08 WHIP and .194 BAA vs lefties is pretty bad I guess.

Ozzie out smarted himself today, it's something he seems to do quite frequently.