Official Flubs Suck Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tuned into the end of the Cubs' crappy loss, and you could really hear the Tigers fans chanting "Let's go Tigers" with two outs in the 9th.

Ron Santo repliecd "Listen to these great fans. They're the best fans in the world."

He was actually talking about the Cubs' fans.

In all seriousness.... Melt it down.

The sad thing is, if the TribCo had a brain in their heads, they would punt on 2006, and send Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Howry, Eyre, Dempster, and company out of Chicago for the highest biddings on the open market. With as few teams ready to sell, and the Cubs having a huge number of "name" players, they could load up for the future the way the Indians did when they shipped out guys like Bartolo Colon. The Cubs already have a ton of guys in the farm system, not to mention an MVP canditate in Derrick Lee, but thankfully for Sox fans, nothing like this will ever happen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
In all seriousness.... Melt it down.

The sad thing is, if the TribCo had a brain in their heads, they would punt on 2006, and send Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Howry, Eyre, Dempster, and company out of Chicago for the highest biddings on the open market. With as few teams ready to sell, and the Cubs having a huge number of "name" players, they could load up for the future the way the Indians did when they shipped out guys like Bartolo Colon. The Cubs already have a ton of guys in the farm system, not to mention an MVP canditate in Derrick Lee, but thankfully for Sox fans, nothing like this will ever happen.

As someone who is involved in business and dealing with money I dont see how you can't recognize the total genius of the Tribune company.

A blind man could see it in a minute. They can put together a team that is UTTERLY horrible yet they sell out every single game, charge the folks a small fortune for wattery beer, shake down the neighbors for royalties and sell a fortune in tee shirts, caps and stuff. They are making a metric s***-ton of money off this team even though they suck donkey balls. Why on earth would they change anything?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
As someone who is involved in business and dealing with money I dont see how you can't recognize the total genius of the Tribune company.

A blind man could see it in a minute. They can put together a team that is UTTERLY horrible yet they sell out every single game, charge the folks a small fortune for wattery beer, shake down the neighbors for royalties and sell a fortune in tee shirts, caps and stuff. They are making a metric s***-ton of money off this team even though they suck donkey balls. Why on earth would they change anything?

So why a 95 Million Dollar roster? Why not just trot out the 15 Million dollar rost from the Marlins?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)

Oh believe me I get it. Just judging by rate of return on most capital investments of the present day, I would guess the TribCo is pulling down $20-25 million a year on those loveable losers. The problem they are staring in the face is that if the Sox hammer out another drive deep into the playoffs, or worst case, back-to-back World Titles, there will literally be a revolt amongst Cub season ticketholders. The full effects might take a year or two to realize, but if the Cubs quit drawing 40K a night, and say drop to 30K, they are in big trouble if they wait to long to rebuild. If they wait to deal the guys they have now, they either lose them as FA's or they watch their value plummet as their is no pennant race to drive up their value on the trademarket.

TribCo might not know how to win a World Series, but I'll bet they know how to protect their investments. Mark my words, the Cubs will not lose any money, because they are owned by a corporation which is held up to the spotlight by stockholders. If they were even making a low ROR on investement, they would be getting sold as we speak. TribCo isn't stupid enough to let the golden egg go rotten.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
So why a 95 Million Dollar roster? Why not just trot out the 15 Million dollar rost from the Marlins?

The amazing part is the 15 million dollar Marlins payroll (as they are now showing with MLB experience) has more talent than THE MAJORITY of rosters in the sorry ass NL (Cubs obviously included).

And Nuke is right.....as a buisness, the Trib is brilliant. But they'll never win because of it in baseball.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
So long as the beer is flowing and the chicks are hot, they could put no one on the field and they'd still sell out. :lol:

you guys make beer and hot chicks at a game sound like a bad thing! :P

Who are the Cubs going to send to the All-Star game?

With Lee missing most of the first half, Barrett is the only field player with All-Star-ish like numbers but do you really want to send a guy who just sat out 10 games for assault? Zambrano?

There are very few cases that could be made for Cubs players but when you look inside the stats, the case crumbles pretty easily. Bobby Howry or Scott Eyre are ok but you don't see set-up guys in the All-Star game.

I am not trying to bust on the Cubs but this seemed like the most appropriate thread for this question.

Who do the Cubs send to the All-Star game? I honestly don't know.

Who are the Cubs going to send to the All-Star game?

Barrett is the only field player with All-Star-ish like numbers but do you really want to send a guy who just sat out 10 games for assault?

In all fairness Kenny Rodgers went last year with a pending 20-game suspension for attacking 2 cameraman