CF Talk

Balta1701

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
Anderson would have to hit over .300 for the rest of the year to get his season batting average to .250.

Not happening.

he needs a chance to regroup. His confidence has to be shaky -- and if we start losing and he's getting more blame, he'll feel even worse.

We need a legit CF.

But there aren't many out there.

Actually, if he gets 350 ab's for the yr, [he has 104 now], a conservative number, he would have to hit .285 for the rest of the yr to get to .250.

While the .250 avg may not be reachable with his poor start, he should be close to that

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 27, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
I wonder if KW could get Carl Crawford. I think he could play CF. It would cost a ton, but would be worth it. I actually don't think the Sox need another CF, but a guy on the bench who hits right handed would be nice, and some bullpen help.

i would love to have Carl Crawford on board, but can he play CF, i know he plays LF for the D-Rays, he has tons of speed, ...hmm. he would become pod's replacement and hes only 24. What would it cost? anyone want to take a hypothetical stab at it?

My suggestion is Corey Patterson, as I've said in the "Corey Patterson" thread, if Anderson can't pick it up at the plate we need a complete CF. Mackowiak is tearing the cover off the ball as we speak but he is the definition of a streaky hitter. Lucky for us hes on a streak, but hes bad in CF, Ozuna bad. Patterson may not take the best reads on a ball but his make up speed is ridiculous and hes got a cannon, hes defiantly a + CF. I think he could handle the 8 spot in the batting order and Juan wouldn't give so many ABs away. Also it would be the second coming of the top of the order Patterson has 15SB/1CS.

What would it take to get him? my guess pitching prospects along the lines of: Charlie Haeger, Tyler Lumsden and Lucas Harrell. The reason being FA pitching is at an absurd price and i don't think the O's are going to attract marquee FA talent case and point Paul Konerko. If the O's are going to contend its going to have come from within, same with the D-Rays. Anderson could go down get it togeather and possibly in the future we could see an outfield of Patterson in RF, Anderson in CF, and Fields? in LF.

anyways just my $0.02

Patterson is not the answer to any future problems, or current problems. Giving up any of our pitching prospects would be too much for him, let alone giving up near-MLB ready ones like Haeger.

And no, the OF of the future will have Ryan Sweeney in RF, not Corey Patterson.

Steve Finley, Darin Erstad, or Juan Pierre?

Worst.thread.evar.

Pablo Ozuna is the answer. he's clutch, and would be great batting 2nd (could bunt Pods to 3rd, being the great bunter he is). Then we could move Iguchi down in the order, and it will cost us nothing.

Except for the fact that Ozuna is absolutely clueless in the outfield.

Edited by SSH2005

I find it humorous that anyone could watch Podsednik in LF today and still suggest that he be moved to CF, the guy is a butcher, plain and simple. You take away this teams outfield defense and they're going to lose a TON of games.

Edited by Kalapse

I find it humorous that anyone could watch Podsednik in LF today and still suggest that he be moved to CF, the guy is a butch plain and simple. You take away this teams outfield defense and they're going to lose a TON of games.

Yep, and Ozuna is even worse out there. Podsednik is in LF for a reason boys and girls...

I know he isn't very good defensively in CF but, wow...

Rob Mackowiak (2006 stats):

93 AB

.280 AVG

.374 OBP

.409 SLG

.783 OPS

2 HR

9 RBI

12 BB

18 SO

QUOTE(MattZakrowski @ May 28, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
He hasn't looked that bad when I've seen him

In addition to the one mentioned specifically, he almost cost us that game against the As Monday when he dropped a routine ball. If it hadn't been for Jenks pitching out of it, there'd have been some problems.

And everytime a ball's lined to him, he looks like he's going to collapse in fear.