Jeff Nelson = Nice try, but onto Plan B

chisoxt

QUOTE(chisoxt @ May 28, 2006 -> 05:13 AM)
Look, maybe in a past life I would agree with you, but keep in mind, we won the world series last year, not with hitting but with pitching, pitching and pitching. If we are trying to duplicate last year's accomplishements, our pitching overall has to be as good as last years team. Right now, it's mot. And don't tell me that our improved offense will compensate for the inferior pitching, in the words of Rocky the Flying Squirrel, that trick never works.

I love the Rocky reference. :cheers

Nelson is there to face a righty or 2. Not to run 2 innings against a lot of hitters. If you want a goat for the game, his name is Taz and he has a problem hitting and bunting and lately turning the DP.

Nelson giving up the walkoff was just the punchline to the joke that the game was already.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 29, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Is Howry any good? Would the Cubs do a guy a favor and lend us Howry

for some minor league stiff?

Would they take George Bell back? I heard he has been pumping gas in the Dominican, but if Nelson can make a comeback, maybe Taco can too.

I don't know if I'm off here, but, Nelson reminds me of a guy like Nomo who has been bouncing around. Did we ever deal him somewhere? I just think he's still got something left in him if we wanted to even bother. Or what's this I hear about Esteban Yan being designated for assignment by Los Angeles? I don't know, just throwing out a wacky .02 about our bullpen. Or bring up a young guy and see him get beat up like usual.

QUOTE(Beastly @ May 29, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
I don't know if I'm off here, but, Nelson reminds me of a guy like Nomo who has been bouncing around. Did we ever deal him somewhere? I just think he's still got something left in him if we wanted to even bother. Or what's this I hear about Esteban Yan being designated for assignment by Los Angeles? I don't know, just throwing out a wacky .02 about our bullpen. Or bring up a young guy and see him get beat up like usual.

Well, Nelson didn't look horrible today, so that's a positive.

Yan needs to stay away from the south side.

That, and we need to call up the right young guy. That means keep away from Montero, Farnsworth, and anyone who can't top 92 with a fastball and has more than one pitch he can throw for strikes. That's why Gage and I have been intrigued by Tracey.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 29, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
That means keep away from Montero, Farnsworth, and anyone who can't top 92 with a fastball and has more than one pitch he can throw for strikes. That's why Gage and I have been intrigued by Tracey.

If you put throwing pitches for strikes so highly on your list, why would you want to bring someone up who has trouble throwing strikes?