Ozzie goes off

BigSqwert

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
"Lackluster" is just another word for regression to the mean.

It's amazing what happens when the offense isn't scoring 6 runs a game on a daily basis.

So we're just an average team? :huh: Is it time to rule out the playoffs? :(

This isn't football, where level of emotion/intensity produces tangible benefits. Baseball, I would say, I much more like golf. The key is consistency and mental fortitude.

No intensity in baseball...lol...

Are you familiar with Ozzie at all or what type of coaching style he has had success with?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing what happens when the offense isn't scoring 6 runs a game on a daily basis.

Please get your face out of the Bill James handbook and watch the games sir. Big difference between scoring 2 because the other teams pitcher beat you down and scoring 2 because of bad baserunning, strikeouts with bases loaded and 1 out, not running hard to 3rd, not getting bunts down, etc.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
And you critiscized Oz yourself in this thread.

Look, Ozzie does one thing really well as a manager: he takes the pressure of his players by a) putting the blame on himself, and B) being a media darling.

His job, in May, after a tough loss to a good team, is to say, "I probably made a few calls today that cost us the game. I hope the guys go out and get a little drunk tonigth then come back ready to play tommorow". Or something to that effect.

His job as a manager is to give the team a kick in the ass when they need it. That's something Dusty Baker has failed to do and look at his team.

Do you really believe a "rah rah" talk from Guillen is going to make the bullpen pitch better? Or turn Anderson and Uribe into sluggers?

Those are the big two problems with this team as currently constructed. You can laugh all you want, but Ozzie screaming isn't going to fix a lack of production.

This isn't football, where level of emotion/intensity produces tangible benefits. Baseball, I would say, I much more like golf. The key is consistency and mental fortitude.

But it will get the team playing smart again. The problem isn't Uribe and Anderson at the plate, or the bullpen. The problem is the mental mistakes that the team is making. The bad throws, halfassed fielding, not understanding game situations etc. You mention mental forditude, and I haven't seen that on the field for a couple of weeks now, and I sure as hell don't want Ozzie going all Dusty Baker on us with this team playing stupid baseball. Ozzie is successful as a manager because he knows when to yell, and he knows when to be their buddy. The buddy thing isn't working now, so its time to get fired up.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 27, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
I will admit that our team played poorly today, minus Jose and Thornton, but Ozzie didn't have his A game either.

Here are my Ozzie criticisms. Granted some of them are of the "hindsight is 20/20" variety:

1 - Why leave BMAC in against a tough lefty when Thornton was ready?

2 - Why wave Dye to 3rd when a single should have scored him from 2nd anyway?

3 - Why not have Pods steal 2nd and then have Uribe try to bunt? Much smaller chance for a DP. (Actually I believe I was against the steal at the time :P)

4 - Why keep Nelson in for a 2nd inning?

Not that it matters much anymore, but it was a popup that found a hole in right field. There's no excuse for JD to not easily make it into third base. There were two outs, run on contact. No excuses on that play.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Not that it matters much anymore, but it was a popup that found a hole in right field. There's no excuse for JD to not easily make it into third base. There were two outs, run on contact. No excuses on that play.

Yep, if JD actually runs he's into 3rd without any issue, so that's all on him. And getting to 3rd if possible helps since it means you score on a wild pitch or a slow hit infield single, 2 things that aren't exactly all that uncommon.

But it will get the team playing smart again.

I guess this is where we fundamentally disagree. I think no amount of Ozzie yelling will makes players play "smart" baseball.

I think "smart" baseball is something good MLB players learn way before Ozzie Guillen. IMO, if they haven't learned it already, they never will.

I'm not exactly against these comments from Ozzie, but I just think they won't make the team play any better. IMO, he'd be better off taking all, or at leat a large part, of the blame for himself.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
I guess this is where we fundamentally disagree. I think no amount of Ozzie yelling will makes players play "smart" baseball.

I think "smart" baseball is something good MLB players learn way before Ozzie Guillen. IMO, if they haven't learned it already, they never will.

I'm not exactly against these comments from Ozzie, but I just think they won't make the team play any better. IMO, he'd be better off taking all, or at leat a large part, of the blame for himself.

Here's the thing though. This team KNOWS how to play smart baseball, they're just not doing it. That's where the ass-chewing comes in.

Ozzie snapping is a good start, but that's certainly not going to fix the problems.

Politte is a pussy, I'm convinced now that he won't even contribute to the pen anymore. McCarthy is just an awful reliever. We need two more solid arms in the bullpen to succeed.

Anderson and Uribe have to hit, clearly. If BA never learns, then a trade might be necessary there, too. Uribe needs a kick in the ass, a push from Cintron, and another visit to Hriniak.

Then there's Garland. He needs to stop being a pussy, just like Politte (except he hasn't lost the mph off of his fastball like Cliff).

this is why I love ozzie

he showed the balls to say that we played like s***

we have much more talent than our win total shows (kinda remarkable isn't it)

this is just what we needed, I have been complaining about our hitting for a while, I'm so glad to see ozzie blast us for this

The team won 5 out of 6 on the homestand. Should have been all 6, but they haven't been firing on all cylinders. This is a tough stretch of games. Losing 2 out of 3 at TB is unacceptable. I like Ozzie popping off. I also think Ozzie should look in the mirror and give himself some grief for his decisions today. They were not good.

This was the perfect time for this. Yes our record is good. But we cant rest on our laurels from last year and just pray that Detroit is going away. I think this was a targetted call out of Juan Uribe, and the rest of the team. Mr. Uribe is going to ride the pine soon if his Tazmanian devil ass doesnt start to play better.

Winning teams dont let little things like this get out of hand. Great Job Ozzie.

This is what I expect out of Ozzie. He said in his press conference when he was hired that if you dont play the game the right way, hussle and play hard you will sit.

This sounds a lot like another rant that happened in September. The we stink rant.

Edited by southsideirish71

IMO Ozzie needs to be reprimanded for his obscenity laced tired yesterday. He definitely needs to apologize!! I will be surprised if he isnt fined by the organization. What is he thinking with all the obscenity? I dont have children but if I did.....well I would be pretty disappointed. Ozzie is in a leadership position in more ways than one...he must be reminded of it.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
IMO Ozzie needs to be reprimanded for his obscenity laced tired yesterday. He definitely needs to apologize!! I will be surprised if he isnt fined by the organization. What is he thinking with all the obscenity? I dont have children but if I did.....well I would be pretty disappointed. Ozzie is in a leadership position in more ways than one...he must be reminded of it.

Please tell me you forgot to tag that with the color green.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)

Um, they already know how to play smart, and that is the problem. They have the talent and ability to play good baseball and have doneso in the past. You seem to think they don't have the skills but they demonstrated most of last year that there are excellent fundimentals posessed by most of the team. For whatever reason some players just aren't playing like they can, and it isn't just the slumps at the plate, which are much less avoidable, its the lapses in the field which are very avoidable.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)

Have you ever heard the guy talk before? Every other word out of his mouth is "horse s***". He's not going to appologize or fined and he definately should be forced to do either. His tirade yesterday was justified and honest, you can not censor Ozzie.

This is hardly the first time he's talked like this.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)

If you had children they wouldnt have heard anything because its all censored on television anyway. and i really dont think ozzies top concern is offending peoples general sensitivities by dropping the fbomb. what is the connection between language and sports leadership you are looking to make here?

ozzie has a right to go off. i mean, we're not in AAA here and ozzie isn't going to baby our guys. he never has. he always speaks his mind. i don't think he would have been as PO'd if we would have executed and won. we didn't do that though. i know it's one game, but still, if you let it go on too long without saying anything, then nothing is going to happen about it. get some fire under their butts and lets win.

:fight :cheers

Ozzie represents himself, his family, his country of Venezuela, the WhiteSox organization and alot of former Sox players & coaches with his words....thats all....is it ok for a 11 year old sox fan to yell the same obscenities aimed at the sox dugout for poor play & good games? i dont think so!

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Ozzie represents himself, his family, his country of Venezuela, the WhiteSox organization and alot of former Sox players & coaches with his words....thats all....is it ok for a 11 year old sox fan to yell the same obscenities aimed at the sox dugout for poor play & good games? i dont think so!

The fan's opinion doesn't matter in that situation. Ozzie's does. This is his job. He's got to do whatever he can to get these guys playing to the best of their ability, something they haven't exactly done.