Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
Still waiting for your first suggestion regarding a centerfielder.

There you go:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
I'm giving Brian Anderson 200 ABs before I replace him. By that time the market for CF will have revealed itself for what it is and we'll have a legitimate idea of who's out there and available for trade. .It's still too early right now to be looking at possible trades

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
There you go:

Yeah, I said the same thing about waiting for Anderson. His defense is worth it.

It's just that it would be good to have a backup plan. (And you can bet that Ken Williams is developing one.) That entails identifying players not currently on our roster, and that process should be in motion, oh, right about now. And that's all I ever suggested.

Someone mentioned right-handed hitting outfielders with some speed. At the risk of being pilloried again, one guy that pops into my head is Marlon Byrd. Pedestrian all the way, but he'd fit the bill of a lower cost guy, right-handed, runs pretty well and can catch the ball.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
Precisely why, gasp, we should have kept Borchard over him (Gload).

Borchard got us Thornton, who is going to be a nice asset in the pen in the long run, so no thanks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
Hey, what do you ya know? Please, never mention Darin Erstad's name ever again in connection with the White Sox:

The guy could be out for the year, woohoo $8.5M for a guy with serious ankle problems!

But he's a badass since he was the punter at Nebraska, so don't talk bad about a "grinder" like him.

Borchard got us Thornton, who is going to be a nice asset in the pen in the long run, so no thanks.

Indeed. I thought that the Borchard for Thornton trade would be a bad one just because I expected Thornton to suck. But Thornton is now a lot more important to our team (and bullpen) than Borchard would have been on our bench.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 28, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
It's a bit early to predict that from Thornton, don't ya think?

Seeing that Borchard probably wouldn't have made this team and that Thorton has already helped us out a bit, it's pretty safe to say Thorton > Borchard.

I may be biased, but who cares.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ May 29, 2006 -> 02:35 AM)
Someone mentioned right-handed hitting outfielders with some speed. At the risk of being pilloried again, one guy that pops into my head is Marlon Byrd. Pedestrian all the way, but he'd fit the bill of a lower cost guy, right-handed, runs pretty well and can catch the ball.

I'll take Ryan Church of their hands instead.

Gimme one of Corey Hart, Church or Chris Deniforia.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I'll take Ryan Church of their hands instead.

Gimme one of Corey Hart, Church or Chris Deniforia.

I'd love Church.. he'd be a damn good replacement for Anderson if he were to be sent down. That being said, I'd rather see Anderson stay up for his defensive value alone.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
Who's ever deemed Garland an ace? :huh:

A lot of people this offseason and throughout last year, and yea, his salary is meant for an ace, not an average pitcher.

He could've pulled in much more than that on the open market.

Wasn't Garland still under the Sox arbitration control for 2006 anyways? I thought that he wouldn't have been a free agent until next offseason? He sure wouldn't be getting as much money as he did from the Sox on the free agent market next offseason the way he is pitching now.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
Haha no names...:rolly

And he could've pulled in much more than that on the open market.

Sorry, I don't remember every single person who ever referred to Jon Garland as an ace. Stupid me.

Also, JGINAA sounds much better than JGINAAAP.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
And if he had another 05 season, he would have been a 60 million dollar man after that. I think its unfair to blame Kenny and Co. for taking a risk on Garland. Its still the type of deal that keeps him around for long enough that we have him for most of his peak years, but also doesnt cripple the franchise as its only a 3 year deal...

I don't think anyone is blaiming Williams, I think Garland is taking just about all the blame and righfully so.

And if he had another 05 season, he would have been a 60 million dollar man after that. I think its unfair to blame Kenny and Co. for taking a risk on Garland. Its still the type of deal that keeps him around for long enough that we have him for most of his peak years, but also doesnt cripple the franchise as its only a 3 year deal...

I don't have a problem with the deal as long as Garland can put up an ERA in the mid 4's for the next 3 seasons. But even that looks like a stretch for him the way he is currently pitching.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Wasn't Garland still under the Sox arbitration control for 2006 anyways? I thought that he wouldn't have been a free agent until next offseason? He sure wouldn't be getting as much money as he did from the Sox on the free agent market next offseason the way he is pitching now.

You're right. He would've got more.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
Exactly. While 12 mil is ALOT for a pitcher that posts a 4+ ERA, who knows what contracts will look like in 08, and IMO health is important with the contract, and Garland has been perfect in that area.

The main reason I don't like the deal is that it ties up a lot of money to a mediocre pitcher and keeps the superior starter (McCarthy) out of the rotation.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, Eric Milton, and Jaret Wright say hi.

So you cite players that were signed by the Yankees, Blue Jays (who are trying to compete with the Yankees), and Reds (who have literally no pitching) to support your argument. Smart!

I really don't know what you arguing here though, so I could be wrong with my assessment.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
The main reason I don't like the deal is that it ties up a lot of money to a mediocre pitcher and keeps the superior starter (McCarthy) out of the rotation.

Brandon is going to get his shot in the rotation next year.