Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

I know its a lot to ask, but I think we have to continue being patient with BA. As many have stated, his glove far outweighs any additional offensive output which would be gained by Mack, Pablo, or any other option.

Furthermore, many young players have a hard time adjusting to major league pitching when starting their careers. We need to look no further than Paul Konerko to see how tough the transition can be for even the best players.

In 1997-98, he averaged just over .200 and hit only 7 HR's in 81 games. It wasn't until he arrived in Chicago for the 1999 season that he begun to reach his potential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3747

I'm not saying that BA will ever become the player that PK is (wouldn't it be nice if does though!).....however, I can guarantee you that both the Dodgers and Reds are disappointed they didn't give this guy more of a chance.

Let's at least give Brian 2 more months to come around since we don't appear to have any viable canidates for replacement either on the roster or in the minors.

If Kenny Williams is able to perform some magic and steal an all star caliber center fielder in exchange for a polish sausage (or something similar), than by all means make the change.

But don't do it just to give up on the kid and don't rush the move when any replacement you have will hurt the team defensively.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Couch wrote a horrible article today in the Sun Times bashing Ozzie for "doing nothing" about the current slump.

WTF is he supposed to do? The team wasn't constructed by Ozzie, but KW. Ozzie really has no good options for LF/CF right now. Everyone should be pulling for BA to get hot and get his line up to around 220/310/400.

Otherwise, we're going to be seeing a lot more of Mack/Pods/Ozuna in CF, which makes me want to puke. None of those guys can play a lick of D out there, and with the way the pitching has been giving up fly balls, I shutter at the thought.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Tim Couch wrote a horrible article today in the Sun Times bashing Ozzie for "doing nothing" about the current slump.

WTF is he supposed to do? The team wasn't constructed by Ozzie, but KW. Ozzie really has no good options for LF/CF right now. Everyone should be pulling for BA to get hot and get his line up to around 220/310/400.

Otherwise, we're going to be seeing a lot more of Mack/Pods/Ozuna in CF, which makes me want to puke. None of those guys can play a lick of D out there, and with the way the pitching has been giving up fly balls, I shutter at the thought.

He's supposed to kick the pitching staff in the ass. That's what he's supposed to do. This slump is due to the pitching staff, not due to Anderson. It'd be damn nice to see improvement from the pitching staff, but since game 1 against Toronto, our pitching staff has given up: 8, 3, 5, 0, 4, 5, 12, 4, 6, 10, and 3 runs. By my numbers, that works out to a "Runs per game average" (Not ERA) of 5.74. We give up 5.74 runs per game over 11 games, we go 4-7. It's pretty damn simple.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
He has been pretty bad of late, hell his batting average is down 25 points since May 28th and 42 points since May 15th.

But one thing Pods IS doing this year better than last, even in his slump, is taking walks. At least, it appears that way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
But one thing Pods IS doing this year better than last, even in his slump, is taking walks. At least, it appears that way.

This is true, even with his recent struggles he's still kept a pretty high OBP, .360 as of right now which is very respectable especially cosidering just how low his batting average is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Playing CF? I didn't know they ID'd when he got hurt that specifically.

I'm pretty sure that they said he hurt it on a play in center field.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
This is true, even with his recent struggles he's still kept a pretty high OBP, .360 as of right now which is very respectable especially cosidering just how low his batting average is.

Yep....he's simply not swinging at the plate. Thus, he's either drawing walks, or striking out looking.

I'll just finish with a prediction of what will go down:

Anderson to AAA

Mack starts in CF (plays there about 2/3 of games)

Ozuna goes from 5th OF to 4th OF, gets more playing time (hot bat)

When Mack sits, Pods plays CF, and Ozuna plays LF

Ozuna also becomes backup 3B again

Ozzie calls up yet another reliever from minors, probably Lopez

Only question is when. I'll say with some confidence that, barring Anderson suddenly figuring it out, this will happen before the end of June. Probably in the next week or two.

EDIT: This is short term. Later this year, look for a trade, or Sweeney in CF.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
Javy Lopez. Or, if his CF play is reasonably, Sweeney.

I think it would have to be an outfielder. If we sent down Anderson and brought up a pitcher, we would have only 2 natural outfielders on this team. I was just trying to illustrate my point that I don't see how anyone can be for sending Anderson down but against bringing Sweeney up to replace him. I don't see any other outfielder in our system that we would want to bring up.

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
I think it would have to be an outfielder. If we sent down Anderson and brought up a pitcher, we would have only 2 natural outfielders on this team. I was just trying to illustrate my point that I don't see how anyone can be for sending Anderson down but against bringing Sweeney up to replace him. I don't see any other outfielder in our system that we would want to bring up.

Meh, with Ozuna as a 4th OF and Gload 5th, the team would be fine. You don't really need 6 deep in the OF.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Meh, with Ozuna as a 4th OF and Gload 5th, the team would be fine. You don't really need 6 deep in the OF.

The only problem with that is Mack is only a corner OF, Ozuna is an infielder and Gload is a firstbaseman. That's an OF that's barely 3 deep.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
The only problem with that is Mack is only a corner OF, Ozuna is an infielder and Gload is a firstbaseman. That's an OF that's barely 3 deep.

I think the assumption here is that Mack can play CF (to some extent). Your OF depth chart would be:

LF: Pods, Ozuna, Gload

CF: Mack, Pods

RF: Dye, Gload, Ozuna

Not the prettiest defensive OF ever, but works in terms of depth.

Or, if Sweeney is indeed capable...

LF: Pods, Mack, Ozuna

CF: Sweeney, Pods, Mack

RF: Dye, Mack, Gload

Or something like that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
Or, if Sweeney is indeed capable...

LF: Pods, Mack, Ozuna

CF: Sweeney, Pods, Mack

RF: Dye, Mack, Gload

Or something like that.

I want to make sure I understand the theories being posted in this thread.

People want to replace a rookie CF, who is great defensively but is unproven against major-league hitting with another rookie, who is new to playing CF and is also unproven against major-league hitting.

Umm

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)

People want to replace a rookie CF, who is great defensively but is unproven against major-league hitting with another rookie, who is new to playing CF and is also unproven against major-league hitting.

Umm

Panic: defined by the late sportswriter Leonard Koppett as "the abandonment of percentage moves in the face of disaster." :headshake

Umm

That's actually not what I was trying to say. I just want to bring up an outfielder if we send one down. Sweeney doesn't have to be the starter in CF. It just doesn't seem smart to me to only have 2 real outfielders ( 3 if you count Mack) on the team.

Umm

You really think its that simple?

Anderson has lost his mental strength. Look at him. His defense, once stellar, is now looking confused. He is hitting less than a lot of pitchers. He isn't just a struggling rookie - he is a MIGHTILY struggling rookie, who if he continues down this road, will no longer be helping his career by staying at the ML level. He needs to reset and restart at AAA.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
You really think its that simple?

Anderson has lost his mental strength. Look at him. His defense, once stellar, is now looking confused. He is hitting less than a lot of pitchers. He isn't just a struggling rookie - he is a MIGHTILY struggling rookie, who if he continues down this road, will no longer be helping his career by staying at the ML level. He needs to reset and restart at AAA.

He has a few bad plays in one inning of one game and now he looks confused in the OF? I totally disagree with that.

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Panic: defined by the late sportswriter Leonard Koppett as "the abandonment of percentage moves in the face of disaster." :headshake

For those who were screaming for his head two weeks into the season, I'd agree that was panic. But here in mid-June, saying he may need to be sent down soon if he can't stay above .150, is pretty reasonable if you ask me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
He has a few bad plays in one inning of one game and now he looks confused in the OF? I totally disagree with that.

I should have added the word "LATELY". Sorry. And its a few games, not one inning. But he was certainly looking quite good until late May or so (I missed the games the last week of May, though).