Recruiting (Text Messages)

I was watching OTL:Nightly tonight, one of the few places of sanity on the network (plus Bob Ley) and they were discussing coaches contacting recruits via text messaging. The current earliest allowable date of contact is junior year, IIRC. Is this too early, too late, or just right? Some of you who are athletically gifted, unlike me, may be able to elaborate on the recruiting process, but when did it start for you guys?

When should this stuff start and how often is allowable?

This is an interesting subject. I had a friend who was recruited to play college football....and when it comes to text messaging, the rules are VERY loose and are just about never followed, since it's so hard to prove wrongdoing (unless the kid himself tells, which they never do). I know Zook uses text messaging A LOT recruiting for the Illini.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ May 30, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I would imagine that their bill would be through the roof unless that coach had the same service.

Compared to what a coach makes in their next contract after they score a recruit who gets them into the round of 64 and earns them an extension and a new shoe contract? I doubt they care.

There are no restrictions on text messages. At my swim meets, scouts are there. I got a letter from a D3 school asking me to swim in college. I'm a JV swimmer, and I was swimming on the varsity level one meet for points, b/c one of the swimmers in my event suffered a seizure during the meet. Some of the JV members swim exhibition at the varsity level. I was one of them. My coach had no replacement for him, so he just moved me over. Made sense, give yourself a chance at a point. At any rate, it just shows how crazy the recruting is.

I assume you were in the same positon as me. The Heads of the 9 career basketball points was getting a letter from Knox College asking if I'd look at playing basketball there. The Heads of the #5 spot on a tennis team that went 1-6 was getting a letter from Central College requesting if I was interested in their tennis team.

American colleges are wasting a lot of trees this way.

I got a letter from Lawrence Univerisity in Appleton, Wisconsin. I have no intentions of swimming in college. They're also wasting a lot of money, sending scouts to every high school competition. What my coach did, made perfect sense, though. He's got no replacement, he might as well give himself a chance at earning a point. And the move did work. I got 5th place in the race. If I had stayed in the exhibition lane, my swim would have scored no points, even though I beat a guy.

Edited by Cuck the Fubs

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
American colleges are wasting a lot of trees this way.

Actually, as I understand it, currently paper manufacturing is to the point where it really doesn't chew up that many trees...the majority of the raw material consumed in making paper is actually the leftovers from producing lumber for various purposes...i.e. the sawdust and the leftover wood chips from turning a tree into a piece of wood.

Actually, as I understand it, currently paper manufacturing is to the point where it really doesn't chew up that many trees...the majority of the raw material consumed in making paper is actually the leftovers from producing lumber for various purposes...i.e. the sawdust and the leftover wood chips from turning a tree into a piece of wood.

They don't just send it to people like me. When I got the letter, I showed it to my coach, I'm like is this a joke or what, and then a few of the swimmers who are going to swim in D1 in the fall said that they got the exact same letter from the school. So they are really wasting paper, ink, and money, sending scouts to every high school competition.

Chances are they never scouted you, but instead just saw your name on a roster. I guarantee no one scouted me for tennis, and if someone saw me for basketball it was because they were scouting a player on the other team and I happened to get in because we were down 30.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
and if someone saw me for basketball it was because they were scouting a player on the other team and I happened to get in because we were down 30.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Compared to what a coach makes in their next contract after they score a recruit who gets them into the round of 64 and earns them an extension and a new shoe contract? I doubt they care.

I too doubt that the coach would care, but i think that the recruited player or his parents would care about a huge bill.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I played in 2/3 of varsity games.

What do you think our record was?

I don't know if I played in a varsity game closer than 15 points, and I was one of the first of the garbage time brigade out there.

The cell phone and text messages have been an economic problem for more than one recruit. ESPN ran a report on that over a year ago. When I was being recruited for cross country it was all letters and a couple phone calls through my High School, nothing to my house.

The funniest one I received was for football. I was smart enough to know I would never make the team and played golf or ran cross country in the fall. I never played a down of high school football. I called the school, who could resist, and was told a secretary mistook two lists and sent out the wrong letters. I always wondered how well that team played with a bunch of 140 pound linemen and how their cross country faired with 280 pounders. Someone's per diem was screwed.